• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand 1357

Looks like you get too backwards on rear foot and are looking down at ground/feet. Your rear heel drops lower into plant and knee extends, instead of rear heel going up and rear knee flexing to shift tilt. Ride the Bull, Swivel Stairs/Chair, Dingle Arm.

Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 4.41.42 PM.png

Only really focused on following the disc with my head as I reachback. Maybe that made my head angle a bit better? I tried to angle my hips more upwards, but as you can see from the video, my back leg is now aggressively driving into my front leg. It's like there is no counterbalancing happening in my throw.

Here Rasmus is casually throwing like 550. Very different in how the rear leg counterbalances the forward momentum. Well, everything is balanced better lol.

Head is leaning over/back too much and you slow down on rear foot. Want to swing back more underneath your head/inside stacked posture.

Also your camera angle looks weird, not squared up and too far back on tee/behind hit.
Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 10.11.09 PM.png

NDK I'm mostly lurking, but I wanted to point out a pattern I think you've never kicked (pun sort of intended). TLDR is you probably want to work on the vertical "pendulum" part of the balance and letting your arm/disc get "towed" more in that plane in better posture. This thing:

1697468181740.png

Your move has always resisted doing it reliably so it's going to take a lot of repetitive work.

~~~Don't get too hung up in the following but I couldn't help myself~~~
NDK in general, you and I still share the problem where we both tend to trap body mass/balance between the feet too much which in general I think makes many people vulnerable to weird rotations through the hips and/or tipping off the rear side and/or collapses in posture to compensate.

I don't think your balance is ever really swinging all the way back into the rear foot in the backswing like a golfer. if the yellow lines I added below are the abstract balance from the head, you are still kind of trapping the balance of your body mass between your feet. So your body's only option is to tip a bit to shift off the rear foot, and to rotate more through the hips to get the disc to swing back out rapidly rather than let your hips move in complete harmony with gravity.

1697467011638.png

"Towing" the arm/disc: Posture wise, both Simon and Sidewinder are allowing their leading elbow to swing more vertically relative to the ground with their posture (below). I think yours has some of this dip, but you are still mostly forcing it to go rotationally around your body. That's also why in the image above Simon and Eagle can get deeper in their backswing in transition (above).
1697466863531.png

That's part of why Sidewinder had me back up with dingle arm and practice how my posture "tows" my throwing elbow back and forth more over my toes letting my throwing shoulder "dingle" more. I don't think you will be exactly the same as me on the left here, but probably something like that is going on. I think you want to work on the fundamental issue in the context of the balance issue above.

1697467854569.png
I can vouch that the dingle rebuild is making my move much more efficient and gives me more consistency when throwing, even when most of my practice has just been changes applied to my dingle drills. You can still end up throwing with plenty of horizontal form/force using the same principles if that's what you're going for. It'll probably also be easier on your body in the long run.

1697468494557.png

Didn't see the last message until now, but the advice obviously applies to this video aswell. I was trying to tilt my hips my downwards coming out of the x-step and then tip them the opposite way coming into the plant. I'm obviously doing something incredible wrong. My head is in some freak position, my throwing shoulder rises and opens up aggressively, my balance is way off of my front foot etc...

Not sure if the way I'm coming off the x-step is a problem, but I sure know plant onwards is an issue. Focusing on tilting my hips upwards seems to have devastating effects for me. It's like I take it super literally and I just tilt everything upwards, or maybe I'm just thinking about it wrong.

Spine extension/APT vs flexion. Your lower spine gets really twisted up in the finish. I'd recommend doing the x-step with a more natural/upright/relaxed walk.
sd3 eagle spine 4.png

Just tried to do the x-steo with a more natural walk. Not sure why I set my rear foot so perpendicular to target -> spins out because of it, but that's obviously not the main issue. The main issue is the same shifting issue.

I still got that ridicilous front heel liftoff and movement during the downswing. I've never seen anyone do that and I've seen a lot of people throwing. Obviously directly caused by move shifting/balance issue

Just tried to do the x-steo with a more natural walk. Not sure why I set my rear foot so perpendicular to target -> spins out because of it, but that's obviously not the main issue. The main issue is the same shifting issue.

I still got that ridicilous front heel liftoff and movement during the downswing. I've never seen anyone do that and I've seen a lot of people throwing. Obviously directly caused by move shifting/balance issue

In the very first part you start taller, but get lower/deeper into the hip hinge right away/probably hanging your nose too far over toes. I think he wants you to try to stay taller like a natural walk all the way into the drive step. Trying to get your body to feel leverage more directly back against the ground while you walk more naturally.

Last edited:

Finally back to throwing. Got some video of me throwing pretty soft. Perhaps good to compare to Simon's softer throws, for example. Not sure what you guys think, but it still looks like the vector from my back knee to front knee is downwards, instead of upwards?

Finally back to throwing. Got some video of me throwing pretty soft. Perhaps good to compare to Simon's softer throws, for example. Not sure what you guys think, but it still looks like the vector from my back knee to front knee is downwards, instead of upwards?

IMO that looks somewhat better overall than back a while ago when I first pointed this out:

Here's you now:

1698773440833.png

I think SW's cue to stay taller in the X is helping you and your head is looking a little more relaxed/less forced. I'd probably keep working with that for now.

I think your overall move is still a bit more rotational in transition than ideal. The part that is still missing as you move off your rear foot is the part that Double Dragon or Turbo Encabulator exaggerates- might return to that in your tall posture next. Maybe also kick the ball - landing in braced tilt.

1f012e9a9ef022b8224f4e1002c8eda7.gif

Attachments

• 1698773935946.png
    1698773935946.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1698773988715.png
    1698773988715.png
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
X-step looks better.
You are planting more backward front foot and spinning the front heel away from target as you plant into it.
Practice planting front foot flared/turned slightly targetward and your heel continuing to move targetward 1" as you plant it.
Don't need to throw while practicing this little motion - Ride the Bull.

Actually I think Kick the Can/Double Dragon would be better for you. Do a more inside-out kick turning the front foot open(going from inversion to eversion) into the plant/thru kick ball. You are landing with your front foot inverted and can't resist/brace your momentum properly into the plant as your knee just rolls over top your foot.
sd3 simon kick can copy.pngfoot inversion eversion anatomy.png

Last edited:

Banging my head on the wall trying to figure out how to tilt my spine/balance towards the front foot like ride the bull. Decided to take away the run-up and just get some video of my standstill, which might make seeing the issues a bit easier.

Looking at the video it's just so clear how I'm just pushing myself over the front leg, instead of shifting onto it. It feels like I'm not doing that, but the video says otherwise. I promised myself, that I will only throw standstills until I perfect my standstill.

Banging my head on the wall trying to figure out how to tilt my spine/balance towards the front foot like ride the bull. Decided to take away the run-up and just get some video of my standstill, which might make seeing the issues a bit easier.

Looking at the video it's just so clear how I'm just pushing myself over the front leg, instead of shifting onto it. It feels like I'm not doing that, but the video says otherwise. I promised myself, that I will only throw standstills until I perfect my standstill.

When you kick back in kick the can or Double dragon, you need to get comfortable letting the leg feel like it's about to pull your body mAss directly back away from the target, allowing it to coil you into the braced rear hip and letting the bottom of the spine come back with it. You need to let the leg swing back hard enough so that if you weren't braced well by the rear leg, the kicking leg would pull you away from the target. That way, if you stride forward with a bit of out-in-out with the plant foot like Simon, it's also somewhat easier to land in braced tilt rather than go over the top.

Similar-ish moment in the sequence -

Attachments

• 1699556470257.png
    1699556470257.png
    675.8 KB · Views: 0
That's exactly what I was thinking actually. So I need to focus on dropping into the plant, while my back is still turned to the target?

This style of standstill feels the most comfortable to me, so I'm trying to work with this. Lowerbody still very bizarre though. My front hip is almost directly above my front foot. If I try to force myself to keep my front hip more behind, I fall backwards after release.

Behind tee might be more revealing.

Starting in that wide stance I think your front toes need to leave the ground before the heel. Extend the front leg/knee to shift back pushing the front hip/pelvis southeast/open, while the rear knee bends to the west and rear hip moves west. Then you can figure 8 the hips/pelvis closed in transition moving targetward.