• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Drives

jaw4

Bogey Member
How do you get a far reachback but maintain accuracy? Just practice? Or should I go through the motion from a stand still release till it's comfortable? any other suggestions?

Your reach back should be on a straight line with the target line... It shouldn't be an issue, you should be able to reach back as far as you want, as long as you pull straight through, and still hit your target

Your reach back should be on a straight line with the target line... It shouldn't be an issue, you should be able to reach back as far as you want, as long as you pull straight through, and still hit your target

I agree. Also, start by increasing your reachback incrementally, starting with being just a little outside your comfort zone (to help maintain accuracy) until you get used to it and then try and reach further and further back as you get comfortable with each new increment, which may not be many. as long as your timing, steps and technique is not sacrificed, you should reach as far back behind you (rear of your shoulder facing the target) as possible

The point of the reach back is so you can twist your shoulders powerfully and whip your arm to get distance without having to pull with your arm.

The best way to work on it is just to go to a field, play with some different motions, pick the most comfortable/effective, and do it hundreds of times. This is how you'll develop accuracy and consistency.

When I first started playing a run-up was counterproductive for me so I just threw stand-still for the first 2 years. Once I had the stand-still throw down, I added a run-up(a couple steps)to my throw and it has worked beautifully. I still only use a run-up when I'm trying to get out past 400 ft., because I can throw stand-still up to that. I would suggest going out to a field and practicing the motions of the throw while standing still, then apply that to a run-up. Also, really concentrate on the whole process, going slow through the steps at first, until you have the right motion, then add some speed to it

Practice to build consistency and learn your own tendencies. Everyone is a little bit different, but if you can get consistent behavior, you can adjust your approach to make sure the disc goes where you want.

For example, I know that when I do a run-up, my release is slightly right of my line of motion. So I start every tee shot from the right side of the box and move up at a diagonal. My form has gotten consistent enough that I can rely on it going where I expect it to. Having this kind of understanding of my own tendencies has really improved my accuracy.

Maintaining accuracy while driving for distance is difficult. I just watched Nikko put a drive into the tree line this weekend. The key is to know your limitations, and keep working to improve.

I am slowly getting my backhand where I want it at this stage in my game (about 325-340' on average) and a big part of that is during my runup I force myself to turn my back to the target.

It allows me to open my hips up and get a good roatation.

If driving backhand is new to you I would highly recommend starting from a standstill. It helped me greatly.

I have had trouble with this. I was really off yesterday as I hadn't been able to go play much, only once the past month.
And I get ahead of myself and try to park my drives and get the long distance I am able to throw. But not having that constant seasoning I was throwing way off on my release points or worm-burning

How do you get a far reachback but maintain accuracy? Just practice? Or should I go through the motion from a stand still release till it's comfortable? any other suggestions?

If you're more accurate from a standstill, it's not your reachback that's the problem. So I'm inferring that your footwork may be off. A lot of people try to generate disc speed from foot speed; that's not how it works. If your feet are too fast you can't shift your weight properly, and your balance will be off, which will send the disc in odd directions.

its all in the torso.practice in a field using your torso for every throw until you get nice and comfy..make it part of your muscel memory.start back slowly and get your non throwing arm out of the way completly and right when you are about to release rip through it with your torso.put all your weight behind it not your arm power..watch it fly brother.dont use a run up at first just practice standing still..

Use a willing friend or exercise band to keep the disc "on the line".
Many will start to arc around when increasing reachback, making it nessecary to "find the line again" at release point, thus decreasing accuracy and consistancy. The exercise band will make it hard to arc, thus training your body to pull into the body and "whip out".