• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Flight path

edge3281

Bogey Member
I hear a good deal about technique and disc grip. But I don't ever hear about optimal flight path. What I mean is if you are in an open field and going for max distance how high should the disc get off the ground? Does it make a difference if the disc is more understable then overstable? I am just asking because it would be logical to assume that if the disc is to low that it doesn't get the full distance of the throw. If it is too high that it will stall and loose distance.

It's all about gravity. The steeper the angle of the climb of a disc, the more effect gravity will have on it. it's like the difference between walking on flat ground as opposed to climbing a mountain. Climbing a mountain requires much more energy to overcome the forces of gravity. Therefore, zero degrees will give you the most distance in a straight line.

If you have a wide open field you can aim about 1:00 and throw an understable disc at about ten degrees. you want to throw it hard enough so that it turns right during it's initial flight. It will curve right of the hole and then as it slows it will fade back towards the hole. This is an s-turn and will generally go a little further than a straight line throw but is not as predictable.