• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand form help?

goosefraba1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys.... here is my first form video. Any help would be appreciated. I mostly throw fh.... but would like to get my bh up to par. This was a gl saint which I normally throw around 300. When I get a nice throw in, I hear pretty loud pop sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWXOCkEnHE

Last edited:
Thanks... couldnt get it to post correctly... and I flipped it to the right so that it could be viewed properly.... just hasn't picked up yet lol.

This is what I see.
timing.jpg

Overall it is not too bad. High reach back and weight is back. Disc is not in the same plane as your arm at the end of the pull, like it is in this picture.
number2.jpg

Last edited:
I see... somebody in another thread mentioned holding the disc in hand with wrist angled like a handshake. Would that be what I need to do here? Also, with the weight being on the back leg.... any suggestions to help on that? Thanks

Also.... do I seem to be pivoting on the heel enough?

This was hole 13 I think at flip this passed week.... took a trip up western lp of Michigan with the mrs.

I see... somebody in another thread mentioned holding the disc in hand with wrist angled like a handshake. Would that be what I need to do here? Also, with the weight being on the back leg.... any suggestions to help on that? Thanks

Search jenb posts, she put up a good picture of 2 wrists in the last 2 days.
there is also a thread about weight transfer, possibly a Mike c thread.
I am on my phone and can not search at the moment.

Until recently, I had been pulling through at the belly button level.... I guess now.I have overcompensated and the discussion is too high.... I need to work on that nip level pull through.

Awesome.... thanks for the help.... will be hitting the field tomorrow to work on it.

So.... thus far I need to:

Work on disc/hand angle issue
Work on weight transfer
make the beginning of pull through more level with nip region that I am already pulling through.

I think you have the basics nailed down quite well. I would just generally suggest that you try working on having a better posture through your run up and just try getting more control on your body. Bend your knees slightly less than you do and you will have better control of your body and a better balance, you might potentially also throw further. That shot you made looked like a slight anhyzer line, and yet you were leaning forward over the disc which people tend to do on hyzer lines, so I would suggest you try keeping your body more upright but not so upright that you feel like you can't "attack" the shot if that makes any sense :)

All that I think would be the easiest to implement if you reduce the speed of your run up a bit. Once you have good control the speed of the run up is of lesser importance.

Hopefully that helps :)

your weight transfer is all jacked up, you're not letting the energy produced by the x-step flow through so you're losing a lot of power there. by the time you're on your reachback you've already gone through most of your x-step. before you plant your pivot foot you need to already have the disc back on your reachback with your hips rotated away from the basket. then when your pivot foot comes down you lead your upper body with hip rotation.

the other thing is your pull through is not on an even plane with your shoulders at all. see if you can pause it right when the disc is against your chest. you'll notice that the disc and your forearm are angled down towards the ground when it should be on the same plane as your shoulders.

all of this is causing you to fan the disc around your body instead of pulling the disc through your body in one straight line. from the point of reach back through the hit the disc should move in a straight line through your right shoulder which creates the snap.

Alright.... I will work on the posture... that makes a lot of sense. I think I am losing a lot of distance from not staying upright/keeping posture/using my hips.

The problem for me is that I am a decently tall guy at 6'2".... and I'm skinny at 160 lbs. I guess I feel like by bending my knees/back that I am stabilizing myself. I need to get over this and slow down. Anybody else start out with these issues?

I would almost just like to scrap my current bh form and start over with it. Maybe just grab my buzzz, tb, and wiz.... and just scrap everything else except for forehand.

Ok... so I forced myself to play 2 bh only rounds today. I mostly only my z comet, ti buzzz, and wiz. Have to say that I am getting decent results. I realize that before I was not leading with my hips at all bc I was squatting way too much.. mostly because of my fast run-up. I didn't check any distances, but after the first round I was probably getting about 250 pretty effortlessly out of comet (didn't realize how much glide that thing has). This was all from a stand-still throw. I started working on the run-up... but doubt that I will allow myself to incorporate it for awhile.

I will post another video in 2 weeks or so after I get used to the new, improved form.

your weight transfer is all jacked up, you're not letting the energy produced by the x-step flow through so you're losing a lot of power there. by the time you're on your reachback you've already gone through most of your x-step. before you plant your pivot foot you need to already have the disc back on your reachback with your hips rotated away from the basket. then when your pivot foot comes down you lead your upper body with hip rotation.

the other thing is your pull through is not on an even plane with your shoulders at all. see if you can pause it right when the disc is against your chest. you'll notice that the disc and your forearm are angled down towards the ground when it should be on the same plane as your shoulders.

all of this is causing you to fan the disc around your body instead of pulling the disc through your body in one straight line. from the point of reach back through the hit the disc should move in a straight line through your right shoulder which creates the snap.

Ok.... I have been working on many of these things from a standstill (minus the run-up). Question being... does anybody have a good video for the run-up/ pull back. I don't know why, but I just can't get the timing right.