• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand help

Thanks! So, I need to stay back and more postured/balanced. Am I getting ahead of the throw? When doing it correctly, my pull though should be much lower correct? I've never looked at my butt during my throw, I just always assumed I was leading with it. I'll see if I can do some indoor practice as it's rainy today.

I guess I'll pay attention to your butt next time we play and let you know :sick:

So should I lean forward over the disc? Or is that just how it is going to feel? I realize that my knees aren't really bent much either.
Also (sorry I know I have a bunch of questions) doing the door frame drill, I feel like the last movement where I would be accelerating the disc, I feel like I am almost pushing the disc. Should it feel like more of a pull, push, or just letting your body finish the move?
Stay balanced more toward the toes and lower your throwing shoulder under your head. Should feel like a whip and the thumb pushes.

Notice the throwing shoulder is much lower before the lower arm releases.

Stay balanced more toward the toes and lower your throwing shoulder under your head. Should feel like a whip and the thumb pushes.

Notice the throwing shoulder is much lower before the lower arm releases.

Thanks, that really helps actually. Now I just hope what I feel is what is actually happening. I can't wait to get back out.

So, I went out for field work today and had some really awesome throws that did not feel like what I am used to. Basically, it felt like my body was just finishing the move that I told it to start. This was only a few throws out of many, but when it did happen, it was worth the frustration. I have really been focusing on not leaning over and keeping my throwing shoulder down. Slow progress, but, it is still progress.

Sounds like some good progress. The weight shift only needs to be an inch or two, compact = powerful. The backswing is just the mirror of the forward swing. When you hit the top of the backswing or transition everything starts back forward because your core torque is maxed and you have no choice.

Yeah, I think you're right to work on your form. Your throws are putting a lot of strain on your arms, back, and knees.

More efficient movements mean you will have LESS strain, but better consistency and overall performance. Don't have jerky movements. Smooth movements only.

Basic anatomy of a drive:
1) Power grip. Grip with all your fingers. Change your grip around if necessary.
2) Cross-step or x-step. Make sure you are utilizing this maneuver, because it transfers your energy from your backswing to your frontswing and it allows for you to use your entire body head-to-head to generate power on your drives.
3) Heel-pivot. Once you are successful with the X-step, you will want to make sure that you are pivoting on your heel. Almost turning on your heel. This means that the power generated in your X-step is being transferred to the disc. The more efficient the heel-pivot is, in terms of energy, the more energy is transferred into the disc.

Simple as that.

Sounds like some good progress. The weight shift only needs to be an inch or two, compact = powerful.
I feel like I was, and maybe still am a little, trying to over-exaggerate the weight shift. When I do not "try" it is not as exaggerated, and things tend to be more powerful/which I assume means more compact. Thanks again. I will be hitting the fields hard next week and maybe uploading a progress video.

Agreed on everything ^. No hips or snap! It's pure strong arming as your shoulder's aren't leveraged behind the hips. When the shoulders get ahead and lose posture, the hips then throw you around in the followthrough. Lead with the hips and slow everything down into the power zone and then accelerate out. Practice throwing your putters and mids. Working from the hit back with the hammer drills is where I'd start.

All the vids/links in this thread are pertinent:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51164

Wow, what you wrote really resonated with me. Shoulders behind the hips!

Thanks! I don't read these threads very often, and am too timid to post my own vid on here.

No need to start a new thread, so bumping this one. Something I have recently kinda struggled with is moving around the disc when at a stand-still. On a drive, things have kinda been clicking. On a stand-still.... I just feel like I am not getting nearly the power behind it, or like I am just slinging. I really have been focused on keeping my posture.. composed? I don't know if that is the right word, but staying over the disc and not getting ahead of myself.

Also, thanks to you guys on here, I attended a clinic put on by Matt Dollar and Will S. Matt was teaching thumbers and putting, and Will was doing backhand. Will complimented me and said I needed more run-up and reachback, but that everything was really well put together, form-wise. I do not necessarily want to throw like him, but getting a compliment from a guy that throws that far and well meant a bunch. I just wanted to say thanks for your guys help.

X-step you work around the disc, standstill you do a backswing more like in the sledgehammer vid.

Hi guys! I am just looking for some tips, critiques, thoughts, and comments on my driving form. I will link some videos below. Due to weather, I was not able to go out and throw, so I used a water bottle and my complex's gym. I hope it is enough to give you an idea at least.

Basically, I am lacking some serious arm speed. I am not sure exactly how my posture is supposed to look while I throw. I have always struggled with pulling through too high, which is a symptom of something (I just am not exactly sure what). Approximately 20% of my drivers "click" and I am back to throwing my fairway drivers 400ft. I fear that if I am not getting better, I am getting worse.

Thanks for all your help guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW2dtMnVbhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asOuhAjgCi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lRHmAvLeI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kAy5ZCYno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYPFJe2K4E

p.s. I know not much has changed and I am not really improving yet. I am still trying to wrap my head around some stuff. I just thought these made my body movements a little clearer.

Attachments

• 20140630_013302.jpg
    20140630_013302.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
Your spine is hunched/curved over instead of being straight/upright and maintain good balance and posture. Everything is really wonky, front foot/knee spins out trying to shift your weight from in front of you, instead of from behind you.

Would throwing from my right foot/leg only be helpful? I kinda get what you are saying about the weight shift not being behind me. It certainly does not feel that way.

After doing the peck drills, I'm still having trouble lowering the pull through. I'm more balanced and less hunched , at least it really feels that way. I'm still fundamentally unsound though. Once again, my putters and mids have a full flight, but anything faster seems like it dies part way through. Any time I try to force my pull though lower, I feel like things are off plane and there is considerable wobble. However, there is also more speed usually.

When I keep my weight back, and stay more centered, things feel more effortless, but I feel like I'm not pushing the disc. At least not near as much as I could be. This is kind of a rant ( sorry guys) but the frustration I'd killing my game. /rant.

I have a silly question. I have, since a Judo accident, had problems with dislocating my shoulder. You do it once, it's easy to do again sadly. Anyways, I was wondering if there was a backhand form for driving that was particularly less stressful than others. I am not saying mine causes me stress, but I would just like to know in case it gets to that point. Watching Jenkins throw kinda makes my shoulder throb sympathetically, but that could just be from my ill attempts at copying him.

Latest posts