• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMAidhDJN0

Video quality is meh, I can see some obvious things I am doing wrong though. After my shoulder heals a bit, and I have some time to practice, what are some things I can really improve upon? This drive was about 380 ish with my Leo on a slight flip. The video angle is not quite orthogonal, but it is close.

I have really tried to delay the backswing/reachback/whatever until I am at the apex of my tiny hop. That has helped. Other than that, I am not sure where to go from here. I am trying to keep my weight with the disc, but not lean over or forward. Perhaps, and most likely, I am just misunderstanding much.

Your knees are very bent with long steps making it hard to stride and load more back and forth.

If I shorten my stride length and not bend as much, would that help not make my throw so choppy?

I think I rather meant to say, off balanced. I way typing on my phone in a hurry so I believe I misspoke. Also, any ideas on lowering the pull though? When I try, I just end up starting low, then finishing high so I end up with a hyzer shot. I realize it is more a symptom of some other body positioning error, but I am not sure what of.

I tend to think of height of the pull through as related to the type of shot you're throwing.

I can't throw an anhyzer with a low pull through or a hyzer with a high pull through.

oKvJncN.png

That is off balance a bit. We gotta go back to thinking about how we're simultaneously moving forward in a way that will allow for best rotation. If we get out back like that, we're going to end up out of good rotational posture.

That leaning back is a function of your big stride that you're used to taking, so you are shifting back with the expectation of a long stride. Shorten the stride, no need to lean over the back foot.

So then, very happily, you stay upright and ready to coil and uncoil in a nice axis against that plant foot.

It's more than shortening the stride, it's finishing upright on the forward leg and getting the squeeze between the knees. You aren't getting near stacked on the front leg as your front hip is well behind your heel, and your rear leg is way behind your center mass because it's spun out of leverage. You want to get all your weight onto the front hip which will change your swing plane. Your rear knee and foot should finish closer to the front knee and foot.

Thank you. That helps a bunch. I'll digest that and see if I can't improve a little.

^^^ That guys is really good. I've been holding the finish alot lately and it reinforces that you have to stay balanced and upright. Accuracy goes through the roof. Great point SW. I was thinking that shortening the stride might force the stacking onto the front thigh, but that may not fix the issue.

Alright, I went out today and did a lot of stand still/ one step kinda throws and really focused on holding the finish. I will try to put up a video tomorrow if I can. Anyways, I really feel like I am just "flinging" the disc when I mimic that McBeth picture comparison above. I saw HUB's post earlier about wrist when to clamp down, so I may throw that in the video as well. I realize without video, there isn't much to be done. Just trying to put my thoughts out there first.

Two things I felt.
1) Holding the finish, I didn't spin out and I could feel my hips doing stuff
2) I felt my hips doing stuff, but the timing confused me. I could control my hips more and felt weight, but I have no idea when to use that + upper body. I saw the Posture video, and will likely watch it again, but things feel better.
3) My distance is a fraction of what it was. This was only one day's worth of field work, and I expect any changes will come with a significant dropoff first, but it was odd that I felt better, and preformed much worse. Just my late night ramblings.

So, a recent development. My right hip, lower butt?, has started to kinda hurt. I feel like this is a good indication of something wrong. I am not sure what exactly, maybe I am not rotating completely, or somehow stopping. Regardless, it stinks that it hurts, but it is great cause I now have somewhere to focus.

Any ideas? Thanks!

As soon as I get back to GA, I will throw up a vid. I would say it is more sore than in pain. All of a sudden, my hips seem to have disengaged from my throw (probably just poor timing).

Lower butt soreness sounds like an interesting night of heavy drinking. Is it muscle soreness on the rear end, i.e. you can stretch it? Or is the soreness on the outside toward the side of the hip? The side of the hip wouldn't surprise me, likely IT band/snapping hip.

Hm. Feels like Glut, but could easily be side the hip. Really, it's all kinda sore? It is just the right side, so I am sure it's dg related. I will do some stretches in the morning to pinpoint where it really is.

After some needed stretching, looks like it is my Glute. I guess I am just getting older =p

Also, SW22, I think a while back you mentioned something to the effect of starting in the pose you want and working your way backwards (kinda like working from the hit backwards). I feel more balanced, but am having trouble generating anything with my hips. I guess the most helpful thing would be a video.

If you weren't using your glute muscle before it would likely be sore.

Yes, your finish position is the most important thing(it's the tuning fork of your form), you should always be able to easily get back to your finish working back. If you can go through your swing back and forth in smooth rhythm back and forth, back and forth, you will be in dynamic balance(there's a difference between leaning and being in dynamic balance). I think more power comes from your weight than the hips. The hips are just their for posture and getting out of the way of the arm swing and counter weight.

Latest posts