• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

backhand problems

shay swim

ok so i can throw back hand let me start with that my problem is that every time i throw back hand i end up hurting my shoulder some how and im not sure what i can do other then not throwing as hard to prevent it so if some1 could inform me on what i could possibly be doing wrong it would much appreciated

It's going to be hard to give you advice without seeing a video. And even then, I don't think that there are many (if any) of us qualified to really tell you what's going on with your shoulder.

I can tell you that you should try and slow down your throw, and try to smooth it out. A smooth, clean throw is going to be less strenuous on your body.

Now I'll wait for Sidewinder to post his videos...

Hard to say, but likely you are doing it wrong if only powering down stops the pain. Think of your arm as a hanging wet towel from the shoulder and whip it toward the target. The arm muscles should be fairly relaxed so they can move faster.

What led me to get serious about our sport was actually shoulder injuries. I have rotator cuff issues from years of bodybuilding and was being VERY agitated by throwing. This was bc i was throwing with bad form. Now that I learned to throw correctly i can throw all day long at full power with zero pain.

Shay I just started playing last fall and right away I noticed shoulder pain when throwing. I found that I was "putting on the brakes" or not following through with my arm after release. Not only was this hurting my shoulder but it was hurting my distance and accuracy. Once I started concentrating on letting my arm swing through after the release, my pain went away and my throws got better. This may or may not be what you are doing but I thought I'd throw my personal experience out there for you to evaluate.

Curtis