• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backpack usage poll

Do you use both backpack straps?

• Everytime

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 54 42.9%
  • Mostly just between holes and after long drives

Votes: 44 34.9%
  • Seldom

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Almost never

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
Given all the rave reviews for various backpacks I changed this year from a Fade Crunch to a Prodigy BP-2 . While backpacks are obviously more comfortable when worn with both straps, I usually just use one strap. Yeah when it's a long walk between I'll sometimes use both, but most of the time getting my arm through both straps and untwisting the second one makes it not worth the effort. I'm curious if there's like me that rarely use both straps.

Given all the rave reviews for various backpacks I changed this year from a Fade Crunch to a Prodigy BP-2 . While backpacks are obviously more comfortable when worn with both straps, I usually just use one strap. Yeah when it's a long walk between I'll sometimes use both, but most of the time getting my arm through both straps and untwisting the second one makes it not worth the effort. I'm curious if there's like me that rarely use both straps.

Which is why I strap mine to a cart.

My bag only has one strap. Yea I'm an old timer. That is what I started with 20 years ago. Guess they aren't too popular these days.

My bag only has one strap. Yea I'm an old timer. That is what I started with 20 years ago. Guess they aren't too popular these days.

You still see players using them but with the quad straps more then the single strap. Big reason until the Gorilla Boy Simian came out was one of the quad sets from Innova had a X seat with it that also got carried with the bag so you did not need to remember to pick up the stool.

I rarely use both straps. Yet, still more comforatable with even just one strap on.

I put down most of the time and that has to do with the odd set up I have, that is usually between holes and The long drives on a hole. Another thing is mine has a seat on it, Vertex Angler backpack, has seat on it, modified quit a bit for disc golf with safety pins crimped closed and a soft stroller bottle bottle holder semi-permanently attached to the bag. Nice bag that holds up to 18-20 discs depending on type of disc it is. It is ~$80 with the extra parts added to the bag, soft stroller bottle holder ~$10 and the ~$1 worth of the safety pins. Shorter suff I pick up bag by seat part. that reminds me I need to make the back seat part more comfortable to grip. Bag itself is just over 7 pounds.

Bag pics are here. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3307023&postcount=21

Last edited:
Casey,
I love when you talk about your bag. I get giddy when i think of you using safety pins.
Love,
Lines

It was that or spend however much to get a Gorilla Boy Simian, one with seat to have one with a seat. Even the knock offs from Baglane are $150. I might have bought the knock off if it were more like $120 or under but that Knock off is not worth it at $150. At that price I am better off spending the $220 on the real deal. I would have bought a real disc golf bag the Super hero h2O model if I did not find the bag I use with a seat built into it. That bag alone cost was $65.

I cant reach the top quiver with it only on one shoulder. So, almost always, unless I just hit a tree and am only walking a few meters. Then I usually just pick it by the handle...

...BTW, am I the only one that occasionally gets elbow pain when slinging the bag on?...

Mine is now on a cart, but when I used it as a backpack, or back with the old style bags and quad shocks, it was most of the time. Uneven gate and my anatomy makes single shoulder bags slide off. Although, I'd do just one shoulder, or simply grab both straps in one hand and luggage carry it, if it was really short.

I usually use both straps plus the chest buckle with my Grip. Helps keep the weight tighter between my shoulder blades. Even then, I admit the Grip isn't as comfortable as I'd like. It's been a very good bag over the years but I remember the Ranger I had a long time back being more comfortable. Ranger doesn't have a good rainfly though. Meh.

I usually use both straps plus the chest buckle with my Grip. Helps keep the weight tighter between my shoulder blades. Even then, I admit the Grip isn't as comfortable as I'd like. It's been a very good bag over the years but I remember the Ranger I had a long time back being more comfortable. Ranger doesn't have a good rainfly though. Meh.

Also a Ranger is lacking in storage.

I cant reach the top quiver with it only on one shoulder. So, almost always, unless I just hit a tree and am only walking a few meters. Then I usually just pick it by the handle...

...BTW, am I the only one that occasionally gets elbow pain when slinging the bag on?...

This!! My Mahal now only gets rarely used for this exact reason (well, that and the decidedly beer unfriendly drink holder design). I tried to get in the habit of using my left hand to pick up and sling the bag over my shoulder but it always felt like work to think that much about picking up my golf bag.

Both straps on when I do use it.

Also a Ranger is lacking in storage.

Nevermind I was thinking a Trooper.

Last edited:
I almost always use both straps when carrying my Grip AX, but I've never used the center buckle. The only time I use one strap, like Brutas said, is if I'm carrying it a short distance and setting it down right away. After playing in the brutal heat this last weekend I was really wishing I had a cart (or at least a stool) to sit on during long tourney rounds. So I bought a nice Innova stool with some funny money, and a half hour later won a Zuca backpack cart. :\ :hfive:

I use both straps most of the time that I'm actually putting the pack on my back. If it's really a short distance I'll just pick it up by the top handle. If lifting the bag all the way up, might as well use both straps. That's what they're there for.

Cat uses both straps often. Prolly cuz she's a Sherpa and carries the biggest bag ever?! I mean geez, prodigy help her out, make a cart get with the times yo!

picture.php