• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyard Basket

ReedB

Hey All,
So I'm looking into getting a new backyard practice basket for at home. I have been using the collapsible ching baskets for years, but I'm looking for something with more catchability. As of now I'm leaning towards the MVP Pro HD, but was looking for other suggestions as well. I plan on leaving it out in the elements through the spring/summer/fall and stowing it away or covering it in the winter; with that being said I'm looking for something that can stand up to weather. Any suggestions of backyard baskets you've used and liked or disliked would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hey All,
So I'm looking into getting a new backyard practice basket for at home. I have been using the collapsible ching baskets for years, but I'm looking for something with more catchability. As of now I'm leaning towards the MVP Pro HD, but was looking for other suggestions as well. I plan on leaving it out in the elements through the spring/summer/fall and stowing it away or covering it in the winter; with that being said I'm looking for something that can stand up to weather. Any suggestions of backyard baskets you've used and liked or disliked would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I'd say anything in the $250 range is gonna be more than fine. I've got a pair of DD Recruits I picked up in spring 2017. They've been out in my backyard year-round for the past 6 years and the rust is only now getting to be concerning (which is fine by me, I had hoped for maybe 10 years of use out of them before upgrading to actual premium baskets). If you're gonna be stowing them all winter, something in that price range will probably last a very long time.

I have the mvp pro hd. It's been sitting outside for about 6 months, only a little bit of rust forming on the weld terminations of the top inner section where all the wire comes together inbetween the flange. Chains have zero rust so far. It catches well and while not quite as stiff as a commercial one piece pole basket it's been slightly abused and has no dents or bends. My wife knocks it over occasionally with her tractor and I have accidentally dropped a long piece of 2" dogwood on top of it without bending it.

Honestly my only complaint about it is the little plastic cap at the top can be knocked out with a errant putt off the top so I glued mine in with a blob of silicone.

Until you get to single pole galvanized baskets they're all kind of hokey durability wise but still decent for home practice.

When I built my mvp basket I did wipe the pole threads with acetone and used red threadlock and tightened the pole sections with strap wrenches so it feels more sturdy than some of the multi section baskets I have played that were only hand tight out of the box and had some endplay to them.

My #1 suggestion for a home practice basket....

Find out what baskets are used at the course you play the most....then find the 'home' version of that basket. Reason? Why not practice with the same basket you play to? If you get a practice basket that has more 'catch-ability' than what is used on the course, you'll get irritated when the on-course baskets aren't catching your discs like the one you practice with.

I have DISCatcher Sport 24 (about $200), and it has held up well for years. I generally store it in my garage, but it has sat out for days (perhaps weeks) at a time with no issues. It's sturdy enough to feel like a "real" basket but light enough to move around. I've even carried in the back of my SUV on vacation.

I've got two of the Axiom Pro 24-chains that have been sitting outside for 3+ years and have no real issues.
Can't complain for $150 each.

I've got two of the Axiom Pro 24-chains that have been sitting outside for 3+ years and have no real issues.
Can't complain for $150 each.

Pretty much my experience except I only have 1 of the Axioms. The blue paint isn't quite as vibrant as it was when new, but no signs of rust. Still feels very solid and catches nice.

The Axiom has a nice loud, satisfying ching when the disc hits chains. That may be a con if it annoys your neighbors. My POS 10+ year old Instep is much quieter although in every other way the Axiom is far superior.

I have several basket varieties in my backyard. recruits, black holes portals, black hole HD portal, chainstar light, discatchers, discatcher sports, machIIIs, homemade one, one brand i cant remember and even a couple fabic pop-ups.

a couple of the machIIIs i have are 30 years old and are still in good shape. sometimes you can snag one in the secondary market for around 200 to 250, or at least you can in my area. It pretty incredible how durable the old machIIIs were built.

My discatcher sport 24 chain has been up on the mountain for nearly 3 plus years now with no rust that i recall yet. that one seems to have preformed the best thus far among the lower quality baskets i have. my portals, chainstar lights and recruits all seemed to all start rusting after 2 years or so.

In my backyard, I have a variety of baskets. Recruiters, black hole portals, black hole HD portal, chainstar light, discatchers, sports discatchers, machIIIs, homemade ones, one brand whose name I can't recall, and even a few fabic pop-ups.geometry dash

show me a pic divided into rectangles & identify all the baskets & i'll believe u

I have several basket varieties in my backyard. recruits, black holes portals, black hole HD portal, chainstar light, discatchers, discatcher sports, machIIIs, homemade one, one brand i cant remember and even a couple fabic pop-ups.

a couple of the machIIIs i have are 30 years old and are still in good shape. sometimes you can snag one in the secondary market for around 200 to 250, or at least you can in my area. It pretty incredible how durable the old machIIIs were built.

My discatcher sport 24 chain has been up on the mountain for nearly 3 plus years now with no rust that i recall yet. that one seems to have preformed the best thus far among the lower quality baskets i have. my portals, chainstar lights and recruits all seemed to all start rusting after 2 years or so.
You just described every photo Ron Convers Jr has ever posted on Facebook.

Two main baskets for us. One is a Discatcher I bought back in 2000 that's still in perfect shape, outside in the elements for over half its life although I had it in the garage for several years and putted at it in there while I grilled. The yellow band is a little faded from the sun but that's really about it. I added inner chains to it after a good decade of being sick of the single-chain blow throughs. Curiously on the bar stamp logo, it came from the factory missing the "F" in "Disc Golf" so it has said "Innova Disc Gol" for its entire life. It's a tank. Supposed to be portable but you'd better have a wheelbarrow if you value your body moving it around. I have a cheap solar light on it too for nighttime fun. I think it's been outside in its permanent location for more years than I can remember.

For indoors we got a $150 Discraft portable basket that catches well and does its job for basement practice. It's not left outside for more than the putting session. Very light compared to the old Discatcher. I love it. That's probably the answer to your question from my end. Don't leave it outdoors and it'll probably last a long time.

I also won a Marksman Lite from putting league. It's supremely light and useful as a visual target in practice throwing situations. I'd never recommend a Marksman for teaching yourself putting form. I noticed when I tried that for a couple of weeks that it encouraged tentative putting. I went back to the normal sized $150 Discraft basket and all is good with my confidence and pace. The Marksman Lite is pretty cool for goofing around and whatnot, though.

Latest posts