• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad injury during league

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
Played in my first DG league in 8 years yesterday (Random Draw doubles). Started off strong being tied for 1st place and the group was impressed by my distance which is something I have been working on.

On the 4th hole on a long par 3 I felt a sharp pain in my right pectoral muscle during my throw. I was throwing a backhand with a little bit of anhyzer on it. I could not even putt after that as the pain was too much.

I now believe I have a slightly torn or severely pulled muscle. I even did dynamic stretching before the round as my pectoral muscle is usually sore after playing a course that require a good bit of longer throws.

IMO, your best medical care option for this is a good physical therapist.

Primary care providers will assess whether you need to see an orthopedist and otherwise give some fairly generic advice. An orthopedist will assess whether you need surgery. A good PT can assess whether you need to see orthopedist, and, if not, give you good advice on how to heal properly from this injury as well as assess what specific issues need to be addressed to help prevent it from reoccurring.

If you don't know of a good PT, and already have a good primary care provider, see if they will recommend a physical therapist.

I had something similar happen, tried to force a backhand anny throw and hurt my arm. Didn't seem too bad, I could still throw forehands....but then I went to make a putt and put a bit too much on it....hurt so bad I fell to my knees.

Saw a physical therapist and was out of disc golf for 6 weeks. But came back with no pain and the break from throwing actually helped my game (the "bad" muscle memory was gone).

see post #1.
If in doubt, read post #2.

People mean well with advice, and some even know a thing or two. But I wouldn't base what comes next on a diagnosis from some well-meaning DG'ers who think they've had something similar. Oh, and they haven't even seen you, let alone examined you.

You could do what I've done in the past. Play through it, act tough, injure it 10x worse and have lifelong issues.

Or just maybe see a doctor.

Played in my first DG league in 8 years yesterday (Random Draw doubles). Started off strong being tied for 1st place and the group was impressed by my distance which is something I have been working on.

On the 4th hole on a long par 3 I felt a sharp pain in my right pectoral muscle during my throw. I was throwing a backhand with a little bit of anhyzer on it. I could not even putt after that as the pain was too much.

I now believe I have a slightly torn or severely pulled muscle. I even did dynamic stretching before the round as my pectoral muscle is usually sore after playing a course that require a good bit of longer throws.

Ditto doc/PT. Sharp pain is always a bad sign esp. with the profile afterwards.

As a PSA, Pec seems like an especially vulnerable spot even if the form is decent due to deceleration forces, and if there's any unnecessary tension there it'll be more susceptible to jerk stress. Time away may have made that stress point more vulnerable :( If form changes exceed the soft tissues' ability to absorb blows, that pec region also takes abuse.

Luckily it ended up being a bad pull. After giving it a week of rest i was able to throw midranges and some light fairway discs. After 2 weeks i was back to about 90%

I think the problem was i tended to fall into the dg marketing hype and was using too many high speed drivers. I was putting way too much muscle into them. I now realize my arm speed fits more 9-10 speed discs and i been throwing them much more comfortably and about the same distance

You could do what I've done in the past. Play through it, act tough, injure it 10x worse and have lifelong issues.

Or just maybe see a doctor.

Yeah, that's my style. I once hurt my shoulder and tried everything to avoid the ortho -- GP (muscle relaxants), PT, chiro, rest, playing through the pain....before giving in, getting the MRI, and finding it was something that nothing but surgery would solve. Lost 2 years playing that game.

Pulled a muscle like our O.P. and the problem with that is, there's no meter that tells you when it's healed. Feels good at rest, play, hurt it again. Feels good at rest, wait a week, play, hurt it again. They kept telling me to lay off for 6 weeks, and I kept trying to renegotiate. The final cure was when I got an invite to go to Flyboy in 6 weeks, and figured that was worth following instructions, this time.

Put a little time in the form thread, I wish I had been more fluid younger. Might have stopped me from smashing myself up so bad trying to overthrow everthing.

When you find the right swing it's amazing, so easy and smooth with zero (low haha) pain.

You can only muscle a disc 200' maybe 300' after that you are limited by lower body mechanics

Latest posts