• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pec soreness/inflammation after playing a round

discgoldjacob

So like title says I have a issue where im not able to play nearly as often as I want to and its sort of hindering my progress in the game. So I have no pain while throwing but after a 18 hole round the next day and never during the round or same day. It is the most upper part of my chest that gets very sore especially where it attatches to the shoulder. It takes a good 3-4 days then im somewhat good to throw again without pain but the same thing happens every time I play.

I visited physio and he said I had a inflammation and I got exercises and instructions on when to throw and when not to throw (basicly stop the round if it hurts during a throw). Its gotten better and better but I still am basicly out of it for a few days whenever I play. Ive been playing for roughly 8-9 months consistently. I know im supposed to relax the arm and followthrough and all that which I am currently doing cause I asked a friend to watch me throw and compared to some videos online.

For some reason my chest muscle gets sort of stretched out during the followthrough and I think thats whats causing the soreness the next few days. I can do a chest exericse without any pain or soreness which leads me to believe its not muscle fatigue. It is only in the most outer stretch of the chest I feel the pain/inflammation. I stretch preround and I do exercises to increase chest strenght etc but this issue just doesnt seem to go away. I got no clue how to fix this or at least reduce the "downtime" after rounds. Like I said its not a chronic thing or something that really hinders me from playing 1 round per week but this summer I wanted to step up my game and play at least 2 times a week but my chest soreness just doesnt allow it currently as I dont wanna cause an injury throwing while sore.

Sounds like you're muscling the disc and not whipping it.

I thought that too but the pain comes from when the arm is swinging out and it pulls on the shoulder socket and the chest muscles gets stretched out to max and pulled on where the chest and shoulder attatches at least thats what it feels like when throwing softly with the soreness. There is no pain during pullthrough, only followthrough. So basicly the arm being relaxed and a dead weight that during the swing out pulls on the chest muscle. I feel absolutely no fatigue or pump in my chest after a round so I dont see how I could be "pulling/muscling" if I dont feel any fatigue. Its only my legs that are absolutely blasted which I can tell is muscle fatigue.

Last edited:
Form review is always recommended. Even if your arm really is that loose you could be jamming up/jerking something.

In general, strong arming, overuse, and deceleration forces in the upper right pec can cause soreness. But I usually feel the "good" deceleration soreness more in the upper right pec than the shoulder, and only after a heavy distance throwing fieldwork day involving many shots. That's because the pec does stretch, but it shouldn't be a really sharp pain and I don't think it should occur with fewer and lower effort shots. Anything closer to the actual shoulder joint I'd take as an automatic warning sign that I need to back off and adjust something.

I'd suspect that if you're getting it from a single round and need 3-4 days to recover between, you either stumbled upon great form and are suddenly outjuicing most of us at max effort all the time, but more likely and based on this description and shoulder involvement there's probably something in your mechanics that needs to be fixed.

Thanks for reply. I will try to film some throws later today or tomorrow and post here and you can review it.

From a mental side maybe you should approach playing from the mindset that the goal is play pain/issue free than improving score. Playing more will almost automatically reduce score and imrove your throwing mechanics. It will take longer but I think it is nice to not mess up the body inside the first years of picking it up.

So when you play say to your self that 3 over par is the goal and max distance is a 30%/approach level. Give yourself some time to develop and dont destroy your body for a hobby, some injurys are actually permanent.

From a mental side maybe you should approach playing from the mindset that the goal is play pain/issue free than improving score.

As someone who has come close to a "red line" w.r.t. injuries twice already, I can't agree more. It's healthy to have goals (including ambitious ones), but learning habits and a pace that your body can take is its own process.

Go see a doctor. I am not sure what a physio is, but saying it is inflammation is about the same as telling you it is pain.

Magnesium oil spray. Works great on sore muscles and helps relax them. Also, gives you the ****s if you use too much.

Used in on my knuckles this morning before I went out to throw.

Latest posts