• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Weather

Ezekiel

So i just came back from my local disc golf course, and the weather was TERRIBLE. We only played 9 holes because playing in rain and 35-40 mph gusts of wind is miserable.

What are the worst playing conditions you have played in?

I was at my home course, and its heavily wooded. It was 3 pm and it got so dark, we could hardly see. All of the sudden the bottom dropped out, and we got soaked. We were on 16, and we just kept playing and finished the course, but we looked like a some drowned rats coming off the course.

I also did play in a tournament were we got caught in a passing shower, and then a front came in, and it got really cold that afternoon.

That's about the worst I ever played in.

I played yesterday in Denver right as the storm was rolling in, some rain and wind.

Last week I played with 5 inches of snow on the ground... i was really bored, so i decided to go. The round was still pretty satisfying, just used a day-glow disc and kept trudging along.

So i just came back from my local disc golf course, and the weather was TERRIBLE. We only played 9 holes because playing in rain and 35-40 mph gusts of wind is miserable.

Ive played in a summer thunderstorm downpour because I wouldnt quit with only 5 holes to play ... I was soked after that.
The worst though was 35-40 mph gusts in a 20 degree snowstorm ... that was rough and my score showed it, but its still fun to talk about.

I played yesterday in Denver right as the storm was rolling in, some rain and wind.

Last week I played with 5 inches of snow on the ground... i was really bored, so i decided to go. The round was still pretty satisfying, just used a day-glow disc and kept trudging along.

Kinda like the weather today, 30-40 MPH winds...

I have played in some pretty crazy winds. I don't know how fast they were blowing but I thought good and hard about it before starting to play and decided to play anyways because I didn't know if I would ever get back to the course I was at. I really didn't care about my score after seeing what the wind was going to do to my disc all day and said hey lets just get through the course.

Completely iced course with 40-50mph and below 0 wind chill, swirling winds. Not very fun and was pretty dangerous. Also played in really bad summer thunderstorm with 60mph winds and sideways downpour and close lightening.

18" of snow on the ground with flurries coming in and 5 degrees outside. my feet warmers froze to the soles of my shoes. the wind was pretty calm (5-10) but damn that round sucked. winter discin in New England for ya.

Snow and cold

About two months ago, a cold front moved in with snow. We don't get much snow in Wilmington, so me and a buddy clocked out and played until dark.
It was in the 20's. Snow was falling and temps were diving. We played until we couldn't see anymore:D. It was really great and I'll remember it as one of the best days of disc golf ever.

Can't really top any of those but the worst I played in was light rain and about 35 or so degrees and a nice 20 -25 mph wind. Gave it up after nine holes cause whenever I would throw my drives the disc was all but coming back to me!
I usually avoid playing when there are storms in the area,maybe something like this happening keeps me from hanging around metal baskets in storms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwfLxCj-NB0&feature=PlayList&p=90AB2672EBE2C58F&index=5
(Be warned there is some strong language but can you blame them?)

Played in a tourney March 1st, a 1 day, the day started at 41 degrees and rain, winds were blowing sustained at 15 with gusts 45-50, and switching directions constantly. What was worse it that it was on a converted ball golf course, so it was wide open, with some rolling hills, few trees to block some of the wind, and also some pond crossings/holes next to the pond. By the end of the day the temp was just at 35. We had gotten 2-3 inches of rain.There were 45 of us who stayed and completed. Only reason I did is it was a state series event, so I got points towards the state championship, in fact got 3rd, and after 2 events so far sitting at 2nd place.

Wow. My weather had nothing on some of the others i have read xD

I hate playing in the winter. It is too miserable!

Worst for me was this past winter. My friend and I played almost every other week in the snow, but one night it got really bad. We got a bit over a foot of snow, then the next day freezing rain over that. It froze and formed a thin ice crust over the snow. When you would step on it, you would get some of your weight on, and then fall down a foot or more. There were some snow drifts and deeper parts when you would fall more than 2 feet through. Each time you pulled your foot out, it would get stuck on the ice, and you needed to pull hard enough to break back through.

I think we made it through 4 holes. It was one of the most physically draining experiences of DG by far. My legs were about to fall off. Good time.

Last edited:

35 degrees pouring rain and wind. Tourney I was in.

Latest posts