• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Feedback For First Ever Tournament

Lemony

I'm playing in my first ever doubles tournament this weekend, and I'd just like some feedback about my bag setup. Thanks for any help.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 8 Months / Ultimate 4 years.
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Left Handed
Throwing Style: Backhand, Forehand, Tomahawk, and a pretty weak thumber.
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Ion (soft) 175'/200'; Hornet 250'/275' ; Boss 300'/425'

Bag:

Drivers (Weight/Plastic/Model/Condition/Use):
Ape - 172/Champion/ New / Max distance in wind.
Boss - 175/Champion/Dave Feldberg/ Straight, but not flippy/ Finishing shots.
Boss - 172/Champion/ Dave Feldberg/ Flippy/ Hyzer flip distance
Starfire - 172/ Champion/ Still finishes strong/ Might get cut for tournament
Beast - 175/ Champion/ New/ Technique Shots.
Predator- 174/ EXP FLX/ Slightly worn/ Utility Disc, main driver
Predator- 175/ Z-Line/ New/ Utility Disc
Valkyrie- 170/ Champion/ Slightly worn/ Turnover Drives, Straight shots, roller.
Sidewinder- 175/Champion/ X-out/ Newish/ Turnover Drives
Fairway Drivers:
Ascent - 173/ X-link Firm/ New/ Main Fairway Driver
Trak- 172/ X-link Medium/ New/ Turnover Fairway Driver
Stalker- 175/Z-line/ X-out/ New/ Utility Fairway, Roller
Stalker- 172/Z-line/ Flippy/ Backup for other Stalker
Leopard- 171/Champion/ Nicely Worn/ Always good to have a Leopard
Midranges:
Vector- 170/Medium/ New/ Haven't learned it well yet.
Hornet - 174/Z-line/ Newish/ Long Midrange Drives
Wasp- 173/Z-line/ Newish/ Everything Between the buzz and the hornet
Buzz- 178/Z-line/ Slightly Worn/ Main Midrange
Buzz- 176/Z-line/ Flippy/ Slow turnovers
Buzz SS- 176/Z-line/ Newish/ when I need a less stable buzz.
Putters:
Ion- No idea on weight/medium/ Newish/ Long Approaches
Ion- 170/Soft/ Slightly worn/ Main Putter.
Ion- 169/Soft/ Slightly worn/ Turnover putts with small chances of rolling.
Spike- No idea on weight/ Grip Line/ Slightly worn/ Approach Shots, extra long putts.
Magnet- 170/ Super soft/ ProD/ Beat up/ Hyzer puts that flip straight.

Any Suggestions, Tips, Protips about a first tournament would be super helpful. If you made it to the end of this thanks a bunch!

-Lemony

Normally I would make suggestions but with the tourney coming so soon I would only say stick with what you are already comfortable with...you need to the ins and outs of every disc and have confidence in what it will do for you! Also limit your bags weight you will def not need 25 discs in one tourney

Normally I would make suggestions but with the tourney coming so soon I would only say stick with what you are already comfortable with...you need to the ins and outs of every disc and have confidence in what it will do for you! Also limit your bags weight you will def not need 25 discs in one tourney

2nd this emotion.

Take out any disc you don't know very well, make sure your putter and midrange game is airtight and have fun. You do have a lot of discs but just make sure you don't have so many that you're second guessing yourself a lot. But yeah, you don't want to make a lot of changes before a tourney.

^^ wow feel privledged to have such a following;)! Finally gave some good advice:thmbup:

My only comment is wow that's a lot of molds! Seems like you'd have a hard time choosing for every throw, but do whatever works best for you. Go conservative on your game - pars with the occasional birdie is always better than trying to be a hero and getting 5's and 6's because of taking risks.

Tim S.

is it a bring your own partner or random draw doubles?

i would like to make some recommendations but stick with what you are doing with the upcoming tournament, as suggested above. definitely take out anything you are not 100% comfortable with.

Stay relaxed and take your time! If you make a bad shot early in the round, don't get dejected and let it spiral out of control. Regroup and focus on having fun and throwing good shots. Also, you're a lefty, so you're a coveted doubles partner for the ~90% of us that are righties.

As for the discs, you have a lot of good things going on there, but there is too much of a good thing. Stuff that is new, and serves no clear purpose, like the Vector, Beast, Trak, Z-Pred, and Starfire could all come out. You don't lose anything in terms of shot making ability, but you do eliminate the possibility of throwing something you're unfamiliar with and making a clumsy shot during a tournament.

Thanks Everyone!

I cut the Vector, Ape, Starfire, trak, beast and the Medium Ion. Bag's Way lighter and I'm very grateful for all the feedback. Thank you all for helping me out!
G-long:
The tournament is with a partner of your choosing I'm headed there with my friend I started golfing with so it should be a good time!

-Lemony

One throw at a time. Don't even think about a shot until you are done with the shot you are on. If something goes wrong with a throw just remember that every great save was set up by a bad shot!