• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag Tag help

scramer05

Good morning guys/gals,

My club is having some issues with vanishing bag tags and our system in general. We run a mini tournament every week and redistribute the tags after the event. We allow challenges to happen outside of the mini as long as 3 tags are present. We also have an attendance rule that if you miss 3 consecutive minis you forfeit your tag. The problem is that people came out, paid, played, got a tag in week 1, and have gone MIA since then. We obviously have no way to get them back now..

My question is: What rules do you guys use for bag tags?

I was thinking of running a 6 week league based on points as well. Could I somehow incorporate this into our bag tag system?

I feel like this happens in every club across America. And it's hard to complain when these are still supporting your club by buying tags.

I feel like this happens in every club across America. And it's hard to complain when these are still supporting your club by buying tags.
This.

If someone takes the #1 tag and vanishes, call them out.
To earn the #1 tag is easy. You have to play challenges to earn the right to keep it. Otherwise its just a trophy for the one round you played to get it.

Dang!! I'm glad my local club doesn't take my tag after missing 3 consecutive weeks!

Each player must play a minimum of 1 tag round per month or gets D.Q.

At the beginning of the tag year tell everyone the rule & feel free to d.q. anyone who does not follow the rule.

This is a good summary.

Although OP you situation is different from the looks. Are the tags for the year or permanent? If they are permanent there is nothing you can really do but hope that the tags come back.

Bag tag dillema

Thing about tags are anybody can get one. If you want to put rules on the tags like its sounds like you have it will become increasingly difficult to keep them in line unless your a tight knit group of people who all know each other. Don't put the 3 people rule on them maybe that'd help. Also take down as much info about the person when they get the tag so you can reach out to them.

if there were not any rules established and announced when you sold tags i wouldn't try to incorporate them now. especially if the tags were donated to your club. what incentive are your offering for low tag holders to play minis?
also, If i have to give up a low tag because i couldn't make 3 minis in a row i would ask for my money back.

Man, the fellow who runs our Sunday bag tag wasn't there for 5 weeks, as he and his wife were hitting the Southern touring circuit. We did run it ourselves [with about 1/3 normal attendance] for 3 weeks.

And yeah, opening day of bag tag a known expert from 80 mi. away showed up, won #1 and hasn't been seen since. :thmbdown:

we have always had a policy that if a tag goes missing, whoever was holding that tag at the time pays for the replacement of the tag. if you have issues with tags going missing by the same people, it may be necessary to ban them from bag tags after losing a certain number of tags. without consequences there is no way to avoid losing tags.

Award the No. 1 tag at the end of the year. Use some kind of worthless placeholder tag during the year. That solves the problem regarding the most coveted tag at least. You could do this with the top three tags as well. Not much to do about the other tags.

That will happen. We have Denver Pros come shark our tags every year, it's just part of the gig. I'm not a fan of reclaiming the tag at all. If someone local is squatting on one, they tend to hear about it from everyone. We do make a tag mandatory to get in on the ace-pools at league nights, that helps.

If you need cheap tags, go to Chewbarka.com. They make dog tags, lol! They run about $2 each for the circular ones and we have a local engraver etch them for about $1 apiece.

You could try to have a separate set of tags, or system, for locals and visitors.

Kind of like Home and Away.

But that could create it's own problems.

Bag tags are an awesome way to get interest in your club or league. Adds a nice competitive angle to rounds without the hefty price tag. I'm ordering another 25 to get the number up to 100 for my league because there's such a demand. Great problem to have.

However, having been a member of a number of clubs I know that some people have a tendency to take them too seriously and it causes unnecessary drama for those who understand that, in the final analysis, it's only a credit card-sized piece of plastic with a number on it. To avoid this I've not made any "rules" with regards to tags. If you pay the $5.00, that tag is yours; you can play for it or not....totally up to you. Once you've bought it you can burn it, shred it, or wear it on your head in a horse-race for all to me. I did, however, stipulate that if you buy one and don't play for it (specifically if you have a lower number) then it's open-season on that ass. You don't have to play for it, but if people tease you to the point where you develop an eating disorder that $hit's on you and I will not feel bad about your anorexia for five seconds.

In short, once people pay for their tags it should be theirs and the club/league should step away from it. Why give yourself the headache of trying to track such things? Usually ends up being a he-said-she-said dilemma anyway.

We charge $25 for our custom hand made wooden tags. We have a bag tag league tracked on Disc Golf Scene all year. Sometime the low tags get snagged up by non locals that bought one at a tourney to support the club then do well and get a low #. We have a set of rules that are loosely enforced. You are not required to play for your tag but you can be challenged and have 2 weeks to supply a course and date to the challenger or give up your tag. I don't think in the years of running the bag tag league have we had to enforce the not meeting a challenge rule. If someone loses their tag I have extra blank ones that I sharpie the missing # onto. The player that lost the tag is charged $10 for losing it. I don't sweat players taking low tags or buying one and never playing for it because the point is to raise funds for the club. Once it's been bought that is accomplished. We do them annually and you get to keep whatever tag you have at the end of 12/31. Link to our bag tag league tracker. https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2016_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards

Happens in every club with tags, and sometimes the people who are absent have a good excuse.

Pretty much every solution to this problem just causes another problem.

Yeah I don't really get this mentality. I see bag tags as a one time way to support a club. Secondary to that is the bag tag challenge aspect, and possibly payouts. If payouts are a thing I can see a requirement of number of bag tag leagues that are attended (50% or better), if you don't make that requirement then the payout structure moves up to the next number.

Other than that though, I don't see a problem with bag tags disappearing.

As a traveling player, I like to support the local scene/league, and it often surprises me how difficult it is to come by a bag tag. Usually the person that has them isn't there at the league. Or, sometimes I've been up right refused tags "Oh, we don't sell tags to out of towners" What? Really? I want to give you $$ to support your club and you don't want it? Ok...

Me, I have tags for a local league, they are really cool, and I will sell them to anyone completely expecting never to see it again, and if I do, cool, let's challenge for it.

Yeah I don't really get this mentality. I see bag tags as a one time way to support a club. Secondary to that is the bag tag challenge aspect, and possibly payouts. If payouts are a thing I can see a requirement of number of bag tag leagues that are attended (50% or better), if you don't make that requirement then the payout structure moves up to the next number.

Other than that though, I don't see a problem with bag tags disappearing.

As a traveling player, I like to support the local scene/league, and it often surprises me how difficult it is to come by a bag tag. Usually the person that has them isn't there at the league. Or, sometimes I've been up right refused tags "Oh, we don't sell tags to out of towners" What? Really? I want to give you $$ to support your club and you don't want it? Ok...

Me, I have tags for a local league, they are really cool, and I will sell them to anyone completely expecting never to see it again, and if I do, cool, let's challenge for it.

We have some out of owners who have our tags. In particular a member who moved off. He bought a tag this year and after our tournament he could have claimed the #1. He decided to not do that because it would be rude to take the #1 and bug off to Colorado. So he kept his #13 and that's what he has now.

Those lower tags, the top ten in our case, really need to stay around in play. If you take a top tag and leave more or less forever, you're frankly a jerk. You can take a higher number so the lower ones stay in play, and you can still support a club.

We have some out of owners who have our tags. In particular a member who moved off. He bought a tag this year and after our tournament he could have claimed the #1. He decided to not do that because it would be rude to take the #1 and bug off to Colorado. So he kept his #13 and that's what he has now.

Those lower tags, the top ten in our case, really need to stay around in play. If you take a top tag and leave more or less forever, you're frankly a jerk. You can take a higher number so the lower ones stay in play, and you can still support a club.

if somebody moves out of the area with a tag, that tag should become void and a new one put into circulation for the local players. if people really just want to support a club, all they have to do is buy a membership, they don't have to take a tag just because.