• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball and Disc Golf together?

Are you referring to The Rock at Stonewall?

No. Indian Trails, which is/was more-or-less between Columbia and Augusta.

A friend of mine put in a ton of effort to sell the idea to the course owner, put in the course, and then promote it, including running a non-sanctioned tournament. A surprising number of people liked going there, even though it was PTP; it was almost necessarily a golf cart course because of the long transitions (if you know you've got golf carts, you can let the transitions be long, to get to the best features). I'd have rated it in the 3.0-3.5 range.

He'd have never done this, if he'd known they were going to cut down every single tree on the property, six months later. Eventually, all the baskets were pulled.

No. Indian Trails, which is/was more-or-less between Columbia and Augusta.

A friend of mine put in a ton of effort to sell the idea to the course owner, put in the course, and then promote it, including running a non-sanctioned tournament. A surprising number of people liked going there, even though it was PTP; it was almost necessarily a golf cart course because of the long transitions (if you know you've got golf carts, you can let the transitions be long, to get to the best features). I'd have rated it in the 3.0-3.5 range.

He'd have never done this, if he'd known they were going to cut down every single tree on the property, six months later. Eventually, all the baskets were pulled.

Maybe the owner was just doing what it takes to keep his DG consistent with his competitors... :p

I've played a few and it's not really something I like to do often. As others have stated, it's a pretty boring style of disc golf. The best I have played is Mulligans in Ogden, UT (one of the courses that hosted the Utah Open and 2021 Worlds). For an amateur, it does actually provide a good challenge due to how many water hazards there are all over the course. But on the other hand, losing 2-3 discs in a round is exceptionally painful, so if water hazards are the 'fun' part of the course then is it really all that fun? I tend to save Mulligans for the winter, when the ponds have all frozen over. Same challenge, but less punitive.

He'd have never done this, if he'd known they were going to cut down every single tree on the property, six months later.

The closest dg/golf course to me has had this happen recently as well. Pendleton had 2 dg courses one of which was the best of these things I have played largely due to having some woods involved- now the property has been timbered- remains to be seen how it works out for the dg courses.

The closest dg/golf course to me has had this happen recently as well. Pendleton had 2 dg courses one of which was the best of these things I have played largely due to having some woods involved- now the property has been timbered- remains to be seen how it works out for the dg courses.

I hate to say it, but with recent lumber prices, it's not entirely surprising.

I hate to say it, but with recent lumber prices, it's not entirely surprising.

It's not really about lumber prices (which are actually back down close to pre-Covid levels). Trees have a lifespan like any other crop and it is not particularly long on replanted pine- when they are ready to cut, they are ready to cut. There was never a shortage of wood during Covid anyway- just a shortage of places processing it and transportation.

It's not really about lumber prices (which are actually back down close to pre-Covid levels). Trees have a lifespan like any other crop and it is not particularly long on replanted pine- when they are ready to cut, they are ready to cut. There was never a shortage of wood during Covid anyway- just a shortage of places processing it and transportation.

I'm aware of the mills being slow to re-open; wasn't sure how that affected timber prices. Our golf course that got clear-cut, was when prices were topping out back in the spring -- and living in a timber-harvesting area, I've seen a lot of cutting in the past year.

In the case of the course, they had gone long past maximum production, and had acres of 60-80' tall pines. I figured they just chose that time to cash in. I suspect that it not only ended the disc golf course, but diminished the golf experience as well.

Latest posts