• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball on a String training Tool

RFrance

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
SW22 has always emphasized the importance of the "ball on a string" concept and demonstrates one in the Tilted Twirl Star Burst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-IN1yMQXc&feature=emb_logo.

The other day SW22 had posted this video where Dan Martin is using "The Pro" training tool to demonstrate the "ball on a string" in the golf swing https://youtu.be/vsV2TEKgv4s?t=410.

It looked like an easy DIY project so I made one with items I already had on hand. It is really helping me to feel how to keep the disc taut in the swing. Just use like the way Dan does but for a dg swing, either BH or FH. Below are pictures and simple directions.

Material
3 feet of 3/8 inch rope
Kong Squeezz Ball Dog Toy X-Large (has a hole through the middle) can be found a PetSmart for less than $5
5/16 inch washer (to keep ball from pulling off rope)
7 inches of ¾ inch PVC (handle to hold on to)

Directions
1. Tie figure 8 knot in one end of rope.
2. Thread on washer, followed by ball, then PVC piece.
3. Leave about 12 inches of rope between ball and PVC and tie other end.
4. I put tape around the PVC for better grip.
5. You can adjust slack by bunching in hand or retying at PVC end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But I also did a quick search and found two very similar on Amazon for about $15.
https://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Everlasting-Fun-Ball-Rope/dp/B003YHB8DY/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIPCj-uo7gIVgaGGCh1D2Q9REAAYAiAAEgKmPfD_BwE&hvadid=174257509901&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012102&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16623537948495640352&hvtargid=kwd-805771821&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=ball+on+a+string&qid=1611088172&sr=8-24&tag=googhydr-20

https://www.amazon.com/Nero-Ball-Classic-TM-Schutzhund/dp/B00R1QMZ7C/ref=psdc_2975418011_t1_B003YHB8DY

Attachments

• Ball on a String resize.jpg
    Ball on a String resize.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 571
  • Assembly resize.jpg
    Assembly resize.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 571
I tried a disc on a string once, man that hurt from the disc hitting me in the back. I didn't have a handle on the string, so I think you could start with a straight elbow and then bend and unbend, wagging it wide-narrow-wide as long as it doesn't hit you. With no handle/leverage you have to start with bent elbow and can't change swing direction.

Some funny reviews on the dog toys. :D

When I first tried it out I had to use a backswing that had a higher arc to remove the slack and was more of a pendulum swing. Then I incorporated the Sit Move and I was able to use a normal backswing with wide-narrow-wide. You can really feel the centrifugal pull when you do it right.

In the FH I'm using more of a pendulum swing and it keeps the ball/"disc" taut and you can feel the pull.

Looks like the dogs really tear up their toys. The ball I used I found out on the course where we have dog walkers.:)

Think of your shoulders as the handle and the upper arm as the string. Ams are trying to rotate the shoulders/handle too fast and bending the string/collapsing the shoulder in transition forward, instead of towing the upper arm forward pulled taut from the shoulders.

I think I might have been using the upper arm as the handle. I'll move it to the shoulders.

That's what I like about this tool is that you can immediately feel when you get slack or if you are keeping the string taut. If you go to fast you can't push the disc away from you without getting the slack or disconnect from the centrifugal pull.

Rfrance - diy disc tool master! Thanks for this, I'm going to make one. I don't think it can be stressed enough how essential these tools can be for getting the right feel for the swing.

^^^
I'm still amazed at how much this is helping me get the rhythm of the swing. It's now a lot easier to understand how important the One Leg Drill and Elephant Walk are when you can feel it. When I switched to using the shoulders as the handle like you suggested above, the feedback was immediate with a lot more force generated.

I made a second one for my practice bag. I weighed the ball and it was 168 g if anyone was wondering.

Potentially silly question...

I ordered one of the dog toys. Do I need the pvc handle (I assume so that it can slide freely along the rope) or can I get the same benefit from hanging onto the rope loop?

I ordered one of the dog toys. Do I need the pvc handle (I assume so that it can slide freely along the rope) or can I get the same benefit from hanging onto the rope loop?
Good question. I think the handle helps feel the leverage better.

It's just a little harder to hold onto without the handle. The rope will dig into your hand somewhat. The centrifugal force is pretty strong.

Question: Wouldn't a string attached to the elbow be a better choice? Let your upper arm and shoulder be the handle? Just tie it around your elbow and put your right hand fingers on the left shoulder to make a 90 degree angle and get it out of the way to be replaced by the rope instead? To not let the rope slack in backswing you could just place the ball on your left shoulder too?

Question: Wouldn't a string attached to the elbow be a better choice? Let your upper arm and shoulder be the handle? Just tie it around your elbow and put your right hand fingers on the left shoulder to make a 90 degree angle and get it out of the way to be replaced by the rope instead? To not let the rope slack in backswing you could just place the ball on your left shoulder too?
You could also Feldberg it and put it at the wrist.

It would be easy to test out. If you have a Velcro strap it would be easier to attach at the elbow. I just re-watched this video and this one-minute segment shows why it might not help as much for feeling the swing.

https://youtu.be/9h7ACG5AiLg?t=724

attachment.php

Attachments

• Malaska shoulder turn.jpg
    Malaska shoulder turn.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 202
It would be easy to test out. If you have a Velcro strap it would be easier to attach at the elbow. I just re-watched this video and this one-minute segment shows why it might not help as much for feeling the swing.

https://youtu.be/9h7ACG5AiLg?t=724

attachment.php

That part of the video is good yea. It really illustrates how the acceleration is added and traveling through the body. Rotating the hips will only get so much power. The same goes for the shoulders, or starting to accelerate one part of the kinetic chain too early. Everything has to travel like an accelerating force through the body. Hips->shoulders->arm and so on. Shoulders can't fire before hips for example. It's like a multistage rocket using boosters.
I don't see how it would translate to holding the handle in your hand vs tying it to your elbow though? Since the lower arm is more like a club/hammer/whip/rope and should be loose and accelerated only by the the rest of the body slamming on the brakes.

I think you would need to play with the length of rope a little to get it where you can keep it taut without gravity causing slack at the top of the backswing but it should work.

Hey has anyone else seen the Flightowel ?

Seems kind of appropriate but more gimmicky... it's handle on a string with a towel that has a pocket sewn in it for air resistance. Popped up in an ad for me recently..

Hey has anyone else seen the Flightowel ?

Seems kind of appropriate but more gimmicky... it's handle on a string with a towel that has a pocket sewn in it for air resistance. Popped up in an ad for me recently..
You could tie the end of the towel in a knot. That would give you a more realistic handle, although those look small.

You could tie the end of the towel in a knot. That would give you a more realistic handle, although those look small.

The handle Looks like a fake nose to me haha.

I was wondering... theres the training wizard 245g+ .. Another guy glued two discs together...

What if you glued or bolted a disc (or two) onto a disc but halfway instead of directly on top?

Slightly less lethal than a hammer and with a more familiar feel..

Currently working on swivel stairs and battering rams though right now. Something is clicking haha and it's not just my shoulder.

The handle Looks like a fake nose to me haha.

I was wondering... theres the training wizard 245g+ .. Another guy glued two discs together...

What if you glued or bolted a disc (or two) onto a disc but halfway instead of directly on top?

Slightly less lethal than a hammer and with a more familiar feel..

Currently working on swivel stairs and battering rams though right now. Something is clicking haha and it's not just my shoulder.
I think I can picture that, so the disc on top pivots around the wing of the bottom disc, kind of like a reciprocating dingle arm switch blade and maybe as dangerous. :D

Latest posts