• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ball on a String training Tool

I think I can picture that, so the disc on top pivots around the wing of the bottom disc, kind of like a reciprocating dingle arm switch blade and maybe as dangerous. :D
]

Hmmm I can watch that all day but... if you took that concept...

Take two discs bolt an arm between em (8"...10"? X 2") each with a single bolt towards the edge.

Hmm maybe shorter.. Or a 3 disc chain one bolt thru each.. It would throw like a bolero

Last edited:
.. It would throw like a bolero

Search for bolero gets me Ravel, Cuban music, or knitting a cardigan. :|

I think I kind of understand a three link chain.

(That was me who glued two discs together. :) )

Last edited:
What about putting the ball on stick?
With enough friction hole -> stick it will only travel when enough force is applied.
Like the wrist snapper tool used to find the hit.

This tool but with a shorter stick and enough friction so that the ball doesn't move until it's unloaded from the power pocket:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfzCK0Fbpf/?igshid=1wll0fgs03by9

Shawn Clement was demonstrating one of these not to long ago. I forget what it was called.

What I'm really liking about the ball on a string is that you have to find the correct rhythm to maintain the string taut and feel the centrifugal force. With a ball on a stick you can't get that feeling.

I used to go to the Jai Alai Fronton in Tampa which was fun to watch. If they didn't get the swing right the pelota would just drop out of the cesta. (Of course a lot of the times it was on purpose because it was a rigged gambling game. ;) )

Shawn Clement was demonstrating one of these not to long ago. I forget what it was called.

What I'm really liking about the ball on a string is that you have to find the correct rhythm to maintain the string taut and feel the centrifugal force. With a ball on a stick you can't get that feeling.

Yea you are right. I thought about the difference in feel and purpose but I forgot to say that I didn't mean for it to replace the ball on a string at all. Just a different kind of tool that is the same tool box.

Would it be possible to do both at the same time? So that you get the feeling of the swing while also get the feeling of max acceleration at the hit?
I'm imagining something like this:

DHG0YEp.png

Ball #1 is moving freely on the rope.
Ball #2 is stuck to the handle by friction.

When applying the right amount of force ball #2 will travel against ball #1.

Interesting concept. I'll have to look around to see if I have some PVC with a smaller diameter so that the ball can fit onto it.

Yea you are right. I thought about the difference in feel and purpose but I forgot to say that I didn't mean for it to replace the ball on a string at all. Just a different kind of tool that is the same tool box.

Would it be possible to do both at the same time? So that you get the feeling of the swing while also get the feeling of max acceleration at the hit?

DHG0YEp.png

Not a ball on a stick but here's the one SC was using.

I like this one better. I was trying to find the toy telescoping sword I used to have when I was little. Searched all over internet and can't find it or what it's called. There's also the Flexbar I like to use and water bottle.

The hole diameter of the ball is roughly 0.75" and NPS 3/8 is 0.675" O.D. and NPS 1/2 is 0.840" O.D. I had some 3/8 copper pipe and tried to use that and it is too loose. The 1/2 of course was too large and wouldn't fit through. (From what I've read NPS-Nominal Pipe Size is the same outside diameter for all pipes whether PVC, copper, or galvanized steel.)

DHG0YEp.png

I was trying to find the toy telescoping sword I used to have when I was little. Searched all over internet and can't find it or what it's called.

My brother and I had the telescoping plastic light sabers that came out after The Empire Strikes Back. They got beat to $h!t pretty quickly but man they were fun to flick out. Maybe that's why he could throw so far.

Question: Wouldn't a string attached to the elbow be a better choice? Let your upper arm and shoulder be the handle? Just tie it around your elbow and put your right hand fingers on the left shoulder to make a 90 degree angle and get it out of the way to be replaced by the rope instead? To not let the rope slack in backswing you could just place the ball on your left shoulder too?

navel, now I think I understand what you meant with this. The elbow is the fulcrum for the lower arm that swings out like the bat or the golf club. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3727447&postcount=119

SW22 has always emphasized the importance of the "ball on a string" concept and demonstrates one in the Tilted Twirl Star Burst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-IN1yMQXc&feature=emb_logo.

The other day SW22 had posted this video where Dan Martin is using "The Pro" training tool to demonstrate the "ball on a string" in the golf swing https://youtu.be/vsV2TEKgv4s?t=410.

It looked like an easy DIY project so I made one with items I already had on hand. It is really helping me to feel how to keep the disc taut in the swing. Just use like the way Dan does but for a dg swing, either BH or FH. Below are pictures and simple directions.

Material
3 feet of 3/8 inch rope
Kong Squeezz Ball Dog Toy X-Large (has a hole through the middle) can be found a PetSmart for less than $5
5/16 inch washer (to keep ball from pulling off rope)
7 inches of ¾ inch PVC (handle to hold on to)

Directions
1. Tie figure 8 knot in one end of rope.
2. Thread on washer, followed by ball, then PVC piece.
3. Leave about 12 inches of rope between ball and PVC and tie other end.
4. I put tape around the PVC for better grip.
5. You can adjust slack by bunching in hand or retying at PVC end.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But I also did a quick search and found two very similar on Amazon for about $15.
https://www.amazon.com/StarMark-Everlasting-Fun-Ball-Rope/dp/B003YHB8DY/ref=sr_1_24?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvIPCj-uo7gIVgaGGCh1D2Q9REAAYAiAAEgKmPfD_BwE&hvadid=174257509901&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9012102&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16623537948495640352&hvtargid=kwd-805771821&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=ball+on+a+string&qid=1611088172&sr=8-24&tag=googhydr-20

https://www.amazon.com/Nero-Ball-Classic-TM-Schutzhund/dp/B00R1QMZ7C/ref=psdc_2975418011_t1_B003YHB8DY

Hey RFrance, I'm intrigued by this cool little tool you've created, but wondering HOW you would use it for disc golf? WHAT should you be feeling while using it? And WHAT should NOT be happening while using it? Meaning, if you "do it wrong" what are you doing wrong and what feedback is this training tool giving you, to let you know that you're using it wrong? Thanks

Hey RFrance, I'm intrigued by this cool little tool you've created, but wondering HOW you would use it for disc golf? WHAT should you be feeling while using it? And WHAT should NOT be happening while using it? Meaning, if you "do it wrong" what are you doing wrong and what feedback is this training tool giving you, to let you know that you're using it wrong? Thanks

The best purpose is for getting a feeling of tautness in the swing and how to use your body to achieve it. You can also feel the lag in the swing and if you try to force the swing without the lag, the swing collapses, which is an example of what you don't want to happen. In the video that SW22 posted above (#7) Dan Martin gives a great discussion on the concepts. Since it is a drill tool, there is not a direct correlation to the disc golf swing itself. But you do get a great feeling of the centrifugal pseudo force. Swing it the same way as your disc golf swing.

Also, since this OP, I've learned about the lower arm and how it is acting as a bat. navel posted above about attaching the ball on a string at the elbow. This might work by looping it into an elbow support sleeve. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Centrifugal Centripetal force.jpg
    Centrifugal Centripetal force.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited: