• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basic Information on COVID-19 or other viruses

This site uses the data from JHU and plots the development in the rate of new infections:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Actually the youtube channel "Minute Physics" had that site made. I love the channel, great informations about physics (when there isnt a special situation that has everybody attention).

This video explains what you can see on the linked site: And yes it is a refresher in log scales, exponential growth and all those math things you thought you'll never need in real life.

This whole thing has reeeeealy illuminated just how bad our collective understanding of math is in this country. Not just exponential growth, but large numbers.
"It only has like a 1% death rate!"
"Cool story bro, now let's assume 10,000,000 people (< 3% of the population) get infected in the US. How many dead people is that?"

Using the numbers in your example it would be 100,000 which is just slightly above the number of deaths caused by the seasonal flu in the U.S. over the past two years.

Various medical professionals are estimating the final death count to be between 80,000-200,000

People dying is bad. We need to take steps to keep people well and alive. Understanding the numbers is an important step in that effort.

Nothing is scarier in these times than bad information.

* UV LIGHT on any object that may contain it breaks down the virus protein. For example, to disinfect and reuse a mask is perfect. Be careful, it also breaks down collagen (which is protein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and skin cancer.

The only UV light that could kill the virus at this time would have to be strong enough, and at a wavelength that would kill you as well.

* LISTERINE IF IT SERVES! It is 65% alcohol.

Listerine is 27% alcohol !
Not even close !

If this person is unable to get the simple, known facts wrong, should you trust anything written here.
I wouldn't.

Listen to Fauci and trusted sources, not second hand info on the net.

Nothing is scarier in these times than bad information.

The only UV light that could kill the virus at this time would have to be strong enough, and at a wavelength that would kill you as well.

Listerine is 27% alcohol !
Not even close !

If this person is unable to get the simple, known facts wrong, should you trust anything written here.
I wouldn't.

Listen to Fauci and trusted sources, not second hand info on the net.
Which is exactly what you posted.
Please provide your source for all this or else you're just another person giving out bad information.

That 100,000--200,000 deaths is an estimate---a best case scenario with excellent health care ---and the US is somewhere near 30th in the world at that.
Remember, as you're taking your last breath, the anti-health care politicians you voted into office.

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet years from now once the dust settles, we will figure out China/Russia will have lied about their final death tolls to make themselves look better in comparison.

Just reminds me about how they handled Chernobyl. Lied to all the world leaders saying everything was fine and under control. When indeed it was a disaster.

People in positions of power not being totally honest?
Naw....

;)

Everyone's an expert...

Except the experts. :\

One thing this whole ordeal has driven home:
Nothing can touch the interwebz ability to disseminate (mis)information.

Information pollution is so easy to achieve with AI and the internet. Millions of bots can be programmed with language skills and basic learning protocols to post slightly different versions of original statements.

It takes almost zero human interaction at all and could be unleashed with no one at the helm. Just set a goal to pollute all facts with alternate ones and watch the world burn.

Back when I was in middle school, I had a particularly good teacher who always stressed to us, " consider the source.

Where are you getting this info from?
Are they considered an SME (Subject Matter Expert)?
By whom?
How much and what pracatical experience does your source have regarding the subject?

I can tell you all sorts of stuff about dress-making.
But how many dresses have I made and how many hours have I spent sewing anything other than buttons and split seams?

More than ever, all of us should consider the source.

Update...

Thanks, I will try to get your comments forwarded to the original author of this document for clarification/comments.

Hi, any update yet? Maybe change (update) the original post with correct info you know from that which is incorrect?

I know you can't go back now, but faulty information becomes mis-information and can be dangerous.

Thanks.

If you want a straight story, watch this doctor from Korea.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU

Takeaways;

These people had SARs, MERs and every kinda nasty virus that exists, so they know how to handle it better than we do.

Masks- Hell Yes !

We all gonna get locked down with ankle alarms. :|

Also I learned today Covid has been around for a while now(ref. some women doctor on Fox News, I didn't get her name), and it has caused mild flu like symptoms for years, so, no Wuhan lab engineered virus escape conspiracy. This time. :eek:

Man, once you get past the moron contingent of disc golfers, you guys are a pretty smart bunch. Thanks for the great information.

A take away for me was that dish washing liquid would make a great hand soap, given it's detergent makeup. Much the way it works well for the oil of poison ivy.

Just wanted to throw out a couple of prior experiences.

One of the sad things that has happened is that one of my best friend's Dad recently passed away due to chronic heart failure (nothing to do with Corona). Since we live in IL, we were unable to hold a funeral and I have barely even talked to my friends or his family. So also, just think about those types of things many families are going through.

I am 32 now, but when I was a youngster, I was diagnosed with moderate asthma, but I never really let it stop me from pursuing my passion for sports. With that being said, I did have my fair share of asthma attacks that led to several days of hospitalization. I have had the experience of suffocating for air and it SUCKS. There is a overwhelming feeling of uncertainty and a feeling of hopelessness. I even had to take allergy shots every week for several years. Not exactly a fun way to live. I have an immense amount of empathy built up for anyone who is and is about to suffer from this thing.

Now, the little town I reside in is reporting cases. Our testing is so far behind that the numbers are so far behind that I take them with a grain of salt. Searching local news headlines is the best way to find out what is happening within your neck of the woods. Also, if you own a small business, do not be afraid to contact your county and see what they can do for you. I have been using a lot of my time trying to figure out if we are eligible for any of the federal or state programs currently being offered.

I appreciate all those on the front lines, because quite frankly, this thing is not looking like it is going to get any better before it gets worse.

Thanks for listening, hope this helps!

JL

Last edited:
Hi, any update yet? Maybe change (update) the original post with correct info you know from that which is incorrect?

I know you can't go back now, but faulty information becomes mis-information and can be dangerous.

Thanks.

I alerted the person I received the document from of the issues arisen in this thread. Getting those issues back to the original author is proving to be a challenge though, so if it's possible to update the original post somehow I would gladly do it. Anyone know how? I never understood the idea behind the 5 minute post update policy, maybe it would take a mod to somehow circumvent that policy?

Also I learned today Covid has been around for a while now(ref. some women doctor on Fox News, I didn't get her name), and it has caused mild flu like symptoms for years, so, no Wuhan lab engineered virus escape conspiracy. This time. :eek:

Covid has a variety of strains if my research is correct, so there is still a possibility (for conspiracy theorists) that covid-19 was manufactured in a Wuhan lab.

I'm willing to bet years from now once the dust settles, we will figure out China/Russia will have lied about their final death tolls to make themselves look better in comparison.

Just reminds me about how they handled Chernobyl. Lied to all the world leaders saying everything was fine and under control. When indeed it was a disaster.

I read an article yesterday about all the extra urns that have been ordered and delivered in Wuhan. It was something like 27,000...

Latest posts