• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket building options

leathercash

Par Member
This winter I'm going to need something to keep me occupied when I'm not throwing and I was thinking about building baskets for disc golf use. Nothing fancy,in fact I wasn't even considering going the steel approach. Check this out, PVC schedule 80. It's tough stuff. Has anyone else ever tried to build one outta PVC-80? If so any help would be appreciated. :eek:

Peabodyshomadepolehole.jpg
[/IMG]

I made three of these but it took two peices of 3/4 plywood. You can make two though with one peice. I have had them for three years now and as long as they are kept painted they do just fine.
The most expensive parts were the chains. Right at 50 bucks apeice for the chain.
I had/found for free/ the poles so all I had to buy was the Plywood/chains/angle irons/dowell rods/wireties and concrete mix for the holes. I would say I have less than 80 bucks apeice in the three.
They work really well and are really sturdy.

I have one in progress, but with school and such, its been delayed. Soon as I get it finished I'll post a pic or five and tell how well it works.

That is a pretty sweet basket. Is it regulation size (diameter of basket, chains)? When you said the chains were $50, did you just buy one long chain and cut it up? I wonder how it would be with plastic chains.

I wonder how it would be with plastic chains.

Don't get plastic!! It sucks!! It will not catch the disc well.

Get the real thing, it gives the real sound of the *ching*!!

Worth investing in long term if you are planning to keep the basket for long time.

:cool:

That is a pretty sweet basket. Is it regulation size (diameter of basket, chains)? When you said the chains were $50, did you just buy one long chain and cut it up? I wonder how it would be with plastic chains.

Yea, pretty much just like my DGA Mach III as far as the sizes of the basket and rim and top.
Bought one long chain at the hardware store and cut it up. The DGA uses closed end S-clips at the ends of the chains, I just opened up the bottom rings and ran the ring through it. The top is held with wire ties.

That wood basket is sweet!!! Got any drawings? I don't have any woodworking tools but I could probably borrow from my neighbor.
I have tried to make a couple home-made baskets myself with little success.
I finally broke down & bought a cheap "Instep" basket & added a second row of chains. The chains are probably the most expensive part.

There was plans awhile back on DGR on how to build a basket with a plastic/rubber trash can and pvc pipe.
Might be able to search that site for the article.

That wood basket is sweet!!! Got any drawings? I don't have any woodworking tools but I could probably borrow from my neighbor.
I have tried to make a couple home-made baskets myself with little success.
I finally broke down & bought a cheap "Instep" basket & added a second row of chains. The chains are probably the most expensive part.

No drawings but just cut two 27 1/2 inch circles.
One of those will be the bottom. Then go inside the other one and cut a
26 1/2 inch circle out. That will be the one inch rim.
Then what is left you cut a 23 inch circle out for the top.
You then use 20 links of chain (2/0 I think). You want 24 or 26 of those.
Mark the 23 inch top with a straight line through the middle then us a divider to figger out wether you want 12 or 13 around the outside.
Then move to the middle (8inch) and draw lines in the middle so the strands of chain are staggered.
Cut you dowell rods/broom handles 6 3/4 or 7 inches long.Use at least 12 around the bottom cause discs tend to slip through if you don't.
Glue and screw. Get an outside glue.
Angle irons below the top and bottom.
Bottom gets a 2 inch hole in the center if you are using a 2inch outside diameter pipe.
Paint and assemble.

Really the only tool you would need is a jigsaw and a drill.

I've seen pictures somewhere of similar homemade baskets using old truck tires for the basket. Ugly looking things, but they looked like they'd work fine. Peabody's design looks much better, but I always liked the idea of reusing old tires & keeping them out of the landfills etc.

The most expensive part of a home-made disc golf basket is the chain (if you want metal chains). Lots of inexpensive options exist for the rest of the basket, but if you want metal chains, to buy them new is ridiculously expensive – almost to the point where you'd be better off just buying one of the portable baskets on the market.

I would suggest going to yard sales and asking if the people have any chain for sale. Chain is expensive, but there isn't much else to do with it once you are done with it (at least for non-disc golfers). Lots of people may have chain they have no reason to keep, but would never imagine they could sell it to someone else.