• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bear Creek Drama

Rockwall, Z boaz, Veterans,and both Cedar Hills are better courses to choose if you have only a limited time to get in some rounds.

I think it is def overrated as it isn't close to a 4 but is is still a fun course to go and check out.

why not even close to a 4? I have played about 8-10 courses and this is a great course imo

Because the best player in DFW will shred that course every time. Doesn't challenge Blue and Gold level players much.

Z boaz and Vet are both 3.5s in the long pins.

yea actually I can see that w/ all of those courses when I think more about it. If a newb like me can do as decent as I do...you gotta be right.

Because the best player in DFW will shred that course every time. Doesn't challenge Blue and Gold level players much.

That may be true for the short tees. The long tees are challenging even for higher skilled players.

This course is rated highly on this site for a reason. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but lots of people love Bear Creek.

That may be true for the short tees. The long tees are challenging even for higher skilled players.

This course is rated highly on this site for a reason. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but lots of people love Bear Creek.

Well I remember shooting a -7 and not being too happy. JD I assume would kill it if he putted well. Like I said there are 5 courses in the area that are better for Blue and Gold level players.

Then again I haven't played it since the Poison ivy Open a while back.

Well I remember shooting a -7 and not being too happy. JD I assume would kill it if he putted well. Like I said there are 5 courses in the area that are better for Blue and Gold level players.

-7 is a great round from the longs. That's what I would expect from a Gold level player. I consider a course challenging unless you are getting easy birds on most every hole. Every hole there is birdieable, but it is hard to put together an 18 down. You haven't really mastered the course until you've shot an 18 down. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are only a handful of guys that have gotten close to 18 down there.

There are more challenging course layouts in DFW without a doubt. Cedar Hill's courses, the Vet, ZBoaz, Harry Myers, Towne Lake, Gateway, Bicentennial's longs, and Turner are all tougher layouts than BC longs.

-7 is a great round from the longs. That's what I would expect from a Gold level player. I consider a course challenging unless you are getting easy birds on most every hole. Every hole there is birdieable, but it is hard to put together an 18 down. You haven't really mastered the course until you've shot an 18 down. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are only a handful of guys that have gotten close to 18 down there.

There are more challenging course layouts in DFW without a doubt. Cedar Hill's courses, the Vet, ZBoaz, Harry Myers, Towne Lake, Gateway, Bicentennial's longs, and Turner are all tougher layouts than BC longs.

Yes, and those courses aren't all 4's which is the point.

This is a fun course and I don't question that but to be a 4 it would have to be something unique that had a wow factor of some sort and was able to draw players in from outside the general area.

I assume the record out there is around 14 from the longs and unless the course has awesome views, beautiful terrain", or some signature holes it won't rate too high being an easier course.

4's in Tx include;
Circle R Hill and probably Meadow
Cameron East
Rockwall
Manor

and a few others but there aren't too many
Heck it still rates the same or better than 80% of the Houston courses.

Last edited:
FYI, I have never heard back from Ken. If I ever do I will let everyone know, bad it saddens me that this has happened.

I love Bear Creek...longs or shorts. Both are fun in different ways. The shot over the #12 gorge is a wow factor shot in my opinion even if it is not that long. I pesonally don't think it is in the top 10, but in the top 20 for sure.

FYI, I have never heard back from Ken. If I ever do I will let everyone know, bad it saddens me that this has happened.

I love Bear Creek...longs or shorts. Both are fun in different ways. The shot over the #12 gorge is a wow factor shot in my opinion even if it is not that long. I pesonally don't think it is in the top 10, but in the top 20 for sure.

Top 20 in the world?

Probably wouldn't be top 20 on TX.

Unless I am thinking of the wrong course or something. It is Host of the Poison Ivy Open right?

Top 20 in the world?

Probably wouldn't be top 20 on TX.

Unless I am thinking of the wrong course or something. It is Host of the Poison Ivy Open right?

Nah, just top 20 in DFW area. Sorry, I should have been more clear. ;)

Yes, and those courses aren't all 4's which is the point.

This is a fun course and I don't question that but to be a 4 it would have to be something unique that had a wow factor of some sort and was able to draw players in from outside the general area.

I assume the record out there is around 14 from the longs and unless the course has awesome views, beautiful terrain", or some signature holes it won't rate too high being an easier course.

4's in Tx include;
Circle R Hill and probably Meadow
Cameron East
Rockwall
Manor

and a few others but there aren't too many
Heck it still rates the same or better than 80% of the Houston courses.

I think you are right about it being rated higher than it should be. You just have to remember that there is a whole spectrum of skill levels out there and not everyone values the challenge level of a course as highly as others do.
I actually went back and adjusted some of my ratings on the courses that I have reviewed to try to be more accurate. As I have played more courses, and hear from guys like you that have played a lot of courses in other areas, I have realized that there are a lot of really great courses out there that I haven't had a chance to play yet that probably are more worthy of the 4 and 4.5 rating.
You should try to list all of the courses that you have played in your profile...and maybe review some more when you get some time.

I've only played BC once. It was recently, and a local told me the neighborhood behind the course was trying to get it pulled due to drinking/smoking. He said they plan to turn the part by the "Alligator pit" into a dog park. Though not the best course, it sure is a fun RHFH course.

This is exactly why you leave the Beer and the Weed at HOME!!! If you're such a Pothead or drunk that you can't play a round without smoking or drinking than maybe you deserve to be in jail.This is a public park not a bar or a coffee shop in Holland.
It's people like this that continue the illegal war on drugs because they can't keep it to themselves.Smoke at home on your property.The pressure to end prohibition would be greater if we didn't have these loser potheads that I swear do everything in their power to ruin Disc Golf for the masses.
Our Image is poor because we tolerate these people.Whatever you do in your own home is your business but this is a public park.It looks like the respectable disc golfers might have to pony up on this one.The police force sound like they are willing to work with the locals on this one.It's not going to end until the disrespectful ones are taught a lesson,they're like little children

whoa man even the texans seem more mellow about herb. come on, you really believe all that war on drugs crap? well if anyone ever wants to come play out west, you can smoke and drink to your hearts content. just recycle and throw away your roaches. and no drinking or smoking in front of minors. other than that, we are adults, if i want to walk out in the woods and smoke a doobie until i'm stupid, i will help myself. i realize of course that public parks change the scenario, but i'm with roc1, just be discreet, it doesn't need to be flaunted. hell if someone wants to rail some smack, i don't care, just don't let me see it and dispose of your needle properly.

whoa man even the texans seem more mellow about herb. come on, you really believe all that war on drugs crap? well if anyone ever wants to come play out west, you can smoke and drink to your hearts content. just recycle and throw away your roaches. and no drinking or smoking in front of minors. other than that, we are adults, if i want to walk out in the woods and smoke a doobie until i'm stupid, i will help myself. i realize of course that public parks change the scenario, but i'm with roc1, just be discreet, it doesn't need to be flaunted. hell if someone wants to rail some smack, i don't care, just don't let me see it and dispose of your needle properly.

intoxication and discretion are inversely proportional to one another. therein lies the problem.

Your argument seems to be that only "hard" courses can be rated high. Bear creek is one of my favorite courses and I know many others who also like it very much. Difficulty should not be the determining factor of how high a course is rated. the best courses (my opinion) have multiple tees to challenge muliple skill levels.

Your argument seems to be that only "hard" courses can be rated high. Bear creek is one of my favorite courses and I know many others who also like it very much. Difficulty should not be the determining factor of how high a course is rated. the best courses (my opinion) have multiple tees to challenge muliple skill levels.

Yeah but look at the course we are talking about.

The fact that it isn't too difficult was not why I rated it low. The course also has no holes that stick out in my mind as really cool, the course is quite eroded, few flukey holes, and no real par 4's of any sort.

Course just doesn't stack up and like I have said a million times there are way better courses in DFW. Since there are a fair amount of better courses and of those I would give the best a 4 is the main reason I think a 4 is crazy for this course.

It would be like rating McDade in Conroe a 4 just because it is fun to play and has pretty grass.