• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beast vs Valkyrie

biodarwin

Birdie Member
If you throw Valkyries, why do you throw them instead of Beasts and vice versa. From a rating standpoint it appears they are pretty close to the same stability but the Beast is a bit faster and glides a bit more.

Coming from someone who throws valkyries and used to throw beasts. They are fairly different but certainly not different enough to warrant carrying both. The valkyrie is easier to get up to speed and is a bit more controllable. Valkyries tend to be more stable and harder to flip. This doesn't mean that the valkyrie isn't a good turnover driver though. Play them right and they can make a very reliable hyzer flip disc. Obviously the beast is faster and harder to get to speed. The problem with beasts,(new mold obviously) is when you flip them at high speeds they like to turn and burn. It is mostly this reason I switched to valkyries. In short, beasts are good for more distance lines as long as you don't nut on them too much, and valkyries are more predictable and controllable. Both have decent glide so you can't go wrong either in that aspect.

i dont know, but i throw roadrunners and i just persuaded a freind to give me his star beast which may take the spot in my bag, flies very similar

but it'll have to be warmer out, atleast clear teepads before if can determine which is longer
i think the roadrunner flips nice n controlled but stays straight for the most part, the beast while flippin up requires more room side to side - but it comes back more predictable

i've thrown a few valks, but honestly they all been used dx valks, not sure how beat they all were, but they all flipped so fast i never gave em a shot

I think the Valkyrie is a little more consistent and controllable, and goes about the same distance.

The old mold Beast was like a faster Valkyrie, and the new mold Beast is more like a faster Sidewinder.

the rating system, imo, should only apply to max weight discs, when mentally sizing them up.

the flight patterns on the discs you are metioning are actually very different. the valks seem to have more glide and turn longer then fade pretty hard - great for open field bombs; while the beast holds a tight S, more suited for narrow fairways.

beast acts much better in the wind as well.

Parks said:
I think the Valkyrie is a little more consistent and controllable, and goes about the same distance.

The old mold Beast was like a faster Valkyrie, and the new mold Beast is more like a faster Leopard.
IMO

Valk is far superior to the beast IMO, way more versatile for a larger variety of people

I have thrown both and I like the Valkyrie much better. I used to throw beasts until I threw a Valkyrie and it went about 50% further. Then again, I throw Forehand, so that may be a big part of it. The Beast always seemed to get more elevation and then crash to the ground, whereas the Valk would fly flat and straight for me.

when not overpowered, the valk may be one of the longest discs for its speed/power requirement

Parks said:

The old mold Beast was like a faster Valkyrie, and the new mold Beast is more like a faster Sidewinder.

I agree with this having thrown all three of those discs at some point. The Valks are in my bag now. I like the rim the best on these and they are still pretty stable when they are new. I use them for hyzer flip straight shots and beat ones for long turnovers, trick shots and rollers. They are much less squirly than those other two discs. With the right line the Valk can fly very far as well and is a good disc to use as your first "distance driver". Put some height under these in a tailwind and they dont want to come down.

Interesting comments. I greatly appreciate it. I have some old-mold beasts and a variety of valkyries. I might just have to take them to the field and see what works best for me. The valkyrie covers my understable driver slot currently in my bag.

biodarwin said:
Interesting comments. I greatly appreciate it. I have some old-mold beasts and a variety of valkyries. I might just have to take them to the field and see what works best for me. The valkyrie covers my understable driver slot currently in my bag.
The old mold beast is quite different from the new one

Parks said:

I agree the valk is way more consistent. the Beast is just too unpredictable.

i threw valks before i started to throw beasts. for me the valks would flip over and not come back in time, like a huge S. I have two beasts in my bag right now, one is a 169 and the other is a max weight. the 169 will flip for a ways and then come back kind of like the valks did but not hold the anny as long. the heavy one will just flip a lil and pretty much hold a straight line. I use these for my distance drivers now, I just could not get the valks to come back so that is why i switched.

DiscGolfDan said:
I agree the valk is way more consistent. the Beast is just too unpredictable.

Yeah it is hard to tell if my beast is going to turn at all or turn and burn. Much more difficult to find the sweet spot on the beast.

Discmania CD

I used to throw the old mold beast and valk. back and forth between them both until I found the CD. For me a CD does everything I got out of the other 2. If I had to chose between beast and valk, I would say go with a champ Valk. The current mold of beast is unreliable, you will get some bombs, but will probably flip it over half the time. The Valk is reliable distance and has always given my form more room for error. The CD has the Valk bottom, similar feel

What was the old mold Beast like and why did they change it? I find my experiences are similar with the current mold as far as it bombing or turn 'n burn.

I think I'll have to give my Champ Valk another shot this summer as I never gave that disc a fair trial.

Sean40474 said:
What was the old mold Beast like and why did they change it?
The Beast was released 12/02/02. This was the old mold. This disc was awesome... I really dig the stability of these guys.
Then the Orc was released 1/25/04. It flew very similar to the Beast. Dave D couldn't justify keeping two 2.0cm rimmed discs that flew so similarly so he modified the Beast to be more understable.

I don't know if Dave changed the Beast before the Orc was officially released or after. Someone else will have to donate that info.

I actually like the old mold Best better than the Orcs I've tried but they are very similar.

I thought about moving to the Orc because I'm starting to want something more stable than the Pro Starfire. I've been trying out the Champ and Star Orc and out of the two I like the Star better. Maybe I'll have to give the Champ a chance and beat it in a little, but I'm really digging the PD right now in S and P. I think i'm going to buy one in C and see how I like it as well.

Thanks for the history marmoset....was more curious than anything.

Sean40474 said:
I thought about moving to the Orc because I'm starting to want something more stable than the Pro Starfire...

Star SL? I have a max weight that flies scary far.