• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating in a disc

I was touching on this very issue in another thread.......if you want the disc "broken in" ie the over-stability more quickly beaten out of it...why not just buy a less overstable disc to begin with? I have not heard a single logical answer:(

I was touching on this very issue in another thread.......if you want the disc "broken in" ie the over-stability more quickly beaten out of it...why not just buy a less overstable disc to begin with? I have not heard a single logical answer:(

Because it's not cool to have more than five molds in your bag if you post on DGCR /s

In all seriousness, it's more of a feel thing for some people. They're comfortable with the feel of a specific disc, and they want one that feels the same but flies different.

This is a well hashed out topic here. Answer ends up being..because. I never found the idea of adding more variable to my already questionable game, very attractive. I stick to premium plastic, find mold that do what I want out of the box and replace them once they significantly change.

b/c with that less stable but yet go-to driver you get the same comfort, consistency, reliability, trust, and predicable flight yet slightly more turn or less fade than a fresh version as well as a few other reasons from very specific stuff like plastic blends and mold etc which age very well.. you are not "wrong" though in having a disc which fills a role per mold either its just a matter of style. There is a happy medium between maxing out a mold in all its line shaping abilities and utilizing one for its best line shaping ability possible, in order to achieve the most consistent flight.

Last edited:

it's just like we said in the other thread.

it's the same *general* result. -___-

there is a line that can be crossed, in my opinion, an extreme on both ends.

if you really want a reason why, then "because". just like you want a disc out of the box to fly a certain way, i want to learn a disc and invest time to season it, then replace it with a fresh one for more OS duty. to me that is more useful than buying something that starts US and seasons to flippy. also i've just learned two discs instead of one, except i'm throwing one mold. it takes a variable out of my game and simplifies my purchasing decisions as well as the search for adequate PLH on discs, comparison shopping and inspecting discs, etc. for many of us, moderately OS discs are workable. keep in mind that what YOU like to do, ie add hyzer, may not be what someone else wants to do ( i do it a lot, but that is neither here nor there). i could add anhyzer to a moderately overstable disc to have it flex out; it will also hold hyzer easier. my moderately OS disc can do many things that straight shooter can do, and it will do it more reliably in wind. most discs can be worked to do what you want. it boils down to how you want to throw and what you want to throw. myself, it's my way of eliminating disc selection overlap.

on another note, seasoned OS discs do act differently than out of the box discs that supposedly match the seasoned one's flight pattern. like a wizard that picks up glide as it beats in and suddenly flies like a UFO, effortlessly, yet still resists wind. i used to throw an opto pure. loved it. still do. but my seasoned soft wizard flies the same now . . . and fights the wind better. there's some sort of hoodoo involved; i can't explain it.

check this thread. it will show you the extremities of both viewpoints - working a disc vs. having a disc for every shot. lots of yelling and screaming, some actual discussion. i like chris's response on page one.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97134

as far as how to season your disc in a week....throw it on every hole as a second shot, take it to the pavement, throw it at trees, throw rollers on the pavement/concrete, tune it (haven't tried that last one myself).

I hear ya Koda....but your reasoning doesnt seem to apply in this particular case. The OP has no interest in "investing the time to season it" etc as you say....he wants it beat in basically immediately......

I hear ya Koda....but your reasoning doesnt seem to apply in this particular case. The OP has no interest in "investing the time to season it" etc as you say....he wants it beat in basically immediately......

i did the same thing with one of my wizards just to make sure everyone on here was telling the truth. :D

i felt bad afterward; kind of humorous.

I think this is dependent on the type of disc. Because all the putters have a slightly different feel with the different plastics, through all the putters I have explored I never found anything with the feel and flight like my years old 12x Aviar. Even buying new ones, they are too overstable and don't fly into the chains like they should. (that last part might be more dependent on me than the putter but that is beside the point)

If you can find a disc with the exact same flight characteristics as a beat in dx cobra let me know. An understable disc may be considered to have the same stability as a beat in slightly more stable disc, but they still fly different flight paths. That is why there are certain discs that I will break in vs buying a different disc.

And in regards to keeping it as an overstable putter, I keep one new and one old in my bag for different situations I approach.

I think I will find the best of both worlds to break in my disc (time vs practice). I will tape the frame of a basket to a brick wall and put into that. Still practice my putting, and break it in quicker than will simple chains.

Latest posts