• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating in a disc... ?

Link

Par Member
Can you beat in a disc in a day? Can you beat it to fly like a seasoned beat in disc if you spend a few hours beating it against the ground and nailing it against a huge oak or pine tree a few hundred times?

I have never tried it. But, yes it is a serious question, but also not so serious.

If the answer is yes, then I would make sure some of you tree huggers aren't around before I start nailing Oak and Pine trees as hard as I can.

I recently bought some new discs hoping I could beat them in a little faster ( OR A LOT FASTER). That is the reason for this odd, but probably not so odd post.

Anyway, if you play DG 3 times per week and nail a tree hard at least once per outing with your favorite new disc, it would only make sense that I could speed up the process. I could also leave the disc in the elements instead of bringing it in a climate controlled environment at night.

How about exposing it to hot and cold temps....dishwasher? Probably not, but just wondering if any of you fine people have actually had success breaking in a disc in a matter of hours or days, instead of months and months?

find some solid earth and throw thumbers and tomahawks until you can't lift your arm.

I scrape the bottom of mine around in a parking lot and then throw tomahawks at trees for a few minutes.

If I'm not happy with the disc's condition, I do it again.

Try bending it in half at every half hour mark.
Inward.for less stability, outward for more.

It might just be me but I dig how a brand new Champ T bird flies more like a firebird than a tee bird at first. Sometimes the breaking in is gradual and other times it seems to happen instantly at a certain point. It's fun!

Spike them into a lawn: hard...and repeatedly. Does the least damage, works fastest.

I have seen user boatman do this and it works.

Attach to rapidly rotating object. Box fan, lawn mower, weed whacker, etc. Then, take it rim down to a patch of dirt. This will simulate the landing of the disc on an abrasive terrain. Then, use a pressure washer with a 15 degree nozzle to blast it edge on while rotating it 20 degrees a minute.

how about just play a couple casual rounds with it? while I get the whole, "I want it to fly like my seasoned ________ (insert fave disc here)..." I STILL don't understand the point of getting a NEW disc (that fits the bill of what you are trying to replace w/said new disc) instead of trading/buying a 6/10 beat disc that is already "seasoned" from the MP....in fact, I'll put it like this. I challenge any of you that think you need tha new disc that you HAVE to beat in, to come to upstate NY and find me, and we can play for $$$. I will play with my non-seasoned discs and you can take as much time as you want throwing your's into the side of a barn to get them "just right." and we'll see who comes out on top. any takers PM me cuz I swear I'm not drunk. a har har.

Nothing quite replicates the natural beating in process. I find rollers and spike hyzers on hard but grassy ground to be pretty effective, but just playing one disc rounds on a wooded course with the disc you want to break in is going to be the most effective.

Put your disc in a pillow case and throw it in the dryer on low heat for about 30 minutes and see what that does. The heat will soften up the plastic to help it beat in as it bangs around in the dryer. It'll be a bit loud.

Also make sure you remove all the flashing (the extra plastic that exists around the parting line and the bottom of the wing). I use a fine grade sand paper (120) for this.

Spend the day playing only with the one disc. Throw it on every shot, even putts. Three or four rounds of this and you'll be set.

I usually just take them out for my regular round and throw the disc as an extra shot for drives and long approaches

5YOsE.gif

Try bending it in half at every half hour mark.
Inward.for less stability, outward for more.

As said previously, thumb it over and over, and just use the disc for an entire round. It will get beat in.

I usually just take them out for my regular round and throw the disc as an extra shot for drives and long approaches

this is what i do... i play a regular round, but use the disc i want beat in as a second drive and just throw huge spikes/tomahawks with it to beat it in

Just thumber the disc over and over into the ground by your feet or at a tree 10 feet away. This way you don't have so much walking between shots and it will take you much less time between throws. Also, bend the disc back and forth shifting positions around the rim every so often. Getting lots of action on the rim is what will season it as fast as possible. If you need it done in one day, you will probably be able to see a good difference in the flight after an hour if you work at it.

Latest posts