• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating the cold

As you can all see I live in North TX and by my standards it does get cold from time to time.. That being said.. I admire all of you that go play in temps below 20.. and in snow. :clap: The other morning it was about 18 with wind chill when my GF said let's go play all day.. All I had to do was read a few posts from you guys up north and I was like if they can do that there I can definately go out when 18 is warmer than what they face. Ya'll are an inspiration :thmbup:

I was out last thursday and played 3 1/2 rounds in 3-5 inches of snow. I wore hiking boots, snow pants, thermal underear both bottom and top, 2 shirts, and a hoody on the top. Once you get moving your body warms up. my hands and feet always start out cold. then they warm up.

THE BIGGEST THING WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING IN THE SNOW IS DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED ABOUT YOUR SCORE. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SHOOT YOUR BEST AT THE COURSE IN 3-5 INCHES OF SNOW AND A WINDCHILL THAT MAKES YOUR FACE BURN. unfortanately i still get mad. :doh::doh:

Also cold chains and cold disc you get more spit outs on putts. so it sucks. :wall:

Bought this contraption about a month ago and it's been a game changer:

http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Portable-White-Polka-Brown/dp/B009Z3TI3S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1388632470&sr=8-8&keywords=battery+powered+heating+pad

I keep it in the top compartment of my Ranger bag, with a towel underneath it and a towel on top of it. It keeps my discs warm (nothing like pulling a warm disc out of your bag when it's cold out), and then I switch out the towels every hole or so, holding the warm one to keep my hands warm while the other one warms up in the bag.

That sounds awful, I hate having warm discs on a snowy day. It makes it so the snow melts and sticks to the disc and you've got a wet disc the whole round. I very much prefer my discs to be at the ambient temperature so the snow just slides off and they stay dry.

As the 2 places where I live [southern MS and Portland] rarely get snow, I don't have to face the cold-disc issue much. However, as both these places get plenty of rain[usually] in the winter, I've trained myself to tolerate my discs being fairly wet, as lots of time gets used trying to continously dry discs.
Needless to say, wet-disc rounds are not my best, but I'm still getting to play. :thmbup:

Played a tourn in 25mph wind yesterday and temps around 10° without the wind. Snow pants couple thermals, sweatshirts and a vest. Cold wasnt a factor justhe wind

That sounds awful, I hate having warm discs on a snowy day. It makes it so the snow melts and sticks to the disc and you've got a wet disc the whole round. I very much prefer my discs to be at the ambient temperature so the snow just slides off and they stay dry.

Everybody's different. It only gets cold here, not much snow, and it's almost never more than a dusting.

Throwing backhand isn't a big deal warm or cold.

But having warm discs makes forehands and thumbers so much more comfortable.

How does everybody deal with the weather conditions when its just to cold to go out and play. I'm talking below zero with 20 mph winds. It's just unbearable to go out and play for me personally. I live in a small apartment with my wife and practicing putting with a basket isn't even possible. I'm going through some dg withdrawls here! I try and watch youtube vids of tournament and tips/techniques to gain knowledge to better my game but that just makes me want to play more. What do I do? :doh:

Under those conditions I suggest hot rum toddies and snuggling with the wife on the couch under a blanket while watching classic old movies. :D

I used Hothands for the first time this weekend. And was mad at myself for never having used Hothands before. They made the round SO much more enjoyable. That's probably always been my biggest issue. I've got bad circulation in my fingers, so keeping them warm can be tough. But with the hand warmers in my mittens, I wasn't in pain and my score wasn't half bad.

Also used my Stabilicers for the first time. Gotta say, they're definitely my favorite Christmas present this year. I can do a runup on snow/ice with no worries whatsoever.

Last edited:
Video games and beer! Cross training might not be a bad idea.........I have played in 20 degree weather with snow on the ground. It was calm conditions and not bad at all. Below zero wind chill and two feet of snow simply isn't dg weather IMO . Those conditions aren't even good for skiing or snowmobiling .

I hang out in my indoor putting playground. Complete with Hula hoop mandos, between the table mandos, christmas trees, stacks of chairs, elevated pin, elevated putting platform, divider corridors, high powered fans, and basically anything I can imagine to keep improving my putting from 15' - 50'. -20F outside, 65F and I'm ready for a teeshirt indoors.

Last edited:
I don't see the benefits of playing disc golf when it hits zero and you're looking at negative wind chills. The bundles of clothing I'm wearing will impede proper form, the discs are going to fly in ways that are far enough off their usual flight paths to be somewhat inaccurate as compared to regular flight, my hand isn't going to grip the discs correctly beyond a certain point as it freezes up, my footing is likely to be bad because of snow and/or ice... And honestly? I'm just not going to have fun.

I'll play down to the low 20s in temperature, and in any depth of snow - because at the low 20s I can still gear up in a couple of underarmour shirts, a long sleeve tee, and a hoodie and get proper form. Teepads can be shoveled and salted, at the least allowing proper stand-and-deliver tosses. My snowmobiling mittens will keep my hands warm enough to deliver with proper grip through the round. And I'm going to be warm enough to enjoy myself.

i am in colorado, and it can pretty ugly in the winter....... i dont see the point in going out in subzero windchills either. There is weather that is even too ugly for skiing, so why the hell would i be trying to play disc golf in it? i have have found 20 degrees and no wind to be enjoyable, but the key to playing in the cold is no wind. imo anyway. i avoid the wind even in summer

I don't see the benefits of playing disc golf when it hits zero and you're looking at negative wind chills. The bundles of clothing I'm wearing will impede proper form, the discs are going to fly in ways that are far enough off their usual flight paths to be somewhat inaccurate as compared to regular flight, my hand isn't going to grip the discs correctly beyond a certain point as it freezes up, my footing is likely to be bad because of snow and/or ice... And honestly? I'm just not going to have fun.

I've been playing down to about 5º this winter, and I still have plenty of fun, and have bagged a few courses in the process (7, I think, this winter). I'll disagree with most of your points except footing. One good sidenote to bad footing is I've been forced to work on my standstill shots, which should help going forward.

Silver linings, yo.

I've been playing down to about 5º this winter, and I still have plenty of fun, and have bagged a few courses in the process (7, I think, this winter). I'll disagree with most of your points except footing. One good sidenote to bad footing is I've been forced to work on my standstill shots, which should help going forward.

Silver linings, yo.

I will agree with the footing thing. your not going to use any sort of step in 8 inches of snow with a frozen crust on top. it forces u to use good technique . i was throwing my mids up to 270 on a stand still this weekend, and i dont throw them that far with any sort of run/walk up. granted, i was experimenting/testing my mids and throwing 5 of them per tee. got dialed pretty good. I am a little sore in the ribs though.

I cheated! Played Crystal City Underground over the weekend in St. Louis. Snow was flying, wind was blowing, and I was having a hella good time playing disc golf in a Tshirt and sweatin my butt off. One of the most unique courses I have ever played. 2 holes were actually unplayable because the water in the caves made them inaccessible. Been playing in the cold w handwarmers and multiple layers of clothing.

I cheated! Played Crystal City Underground over the weekend in St. Louis. Snow was flying, wind was blowing, and I was having a hella good time playing disc golf in a Tshirt and sweatin my butt off. One of the most unique courses I have ever played. 2 holes were actually unplayable because the water in the caves made them inaccessible. Been playing in the cold w handwarmers and multiple layers of clothing.

I'd really like to get down there and try that out, if not just for the novelty factor.

I'd really like to get down there and try that out, if not just for the novelty factor.

Don't let the 'novelty factor' fool ya Stardoggy. It can be every bit as challenging as an open air course. Doglegs, tunnel shots, it's got 'em all.

The only aspect of it that I didn't like was that people smoking cigarettes ANYWHERE in the caves can be smelled. I used to be a smoker so I'm not being judgmental. I just hate having to be around it and breathe it since I quit years ago. Outside never seems to be much of a issue, inside?...no thanks.

I played when the weather was nice, but that was my first thought. It makes for a nice way to escape the winter cold or the summer heat and still get a round or two in.

Latest posts