• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beating the Summer Heat

I got sort of stuck on a course this year because of heat. It was 95 degrees and high humidity and I tried to play Ozark Trails in Branson Mo. with a zuca cart and a dog. I did it because I was there and had planned to play with nothing else planned. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. After 7 holes I was dying. The 8th hole played up an incredibly steep hill and I knew I was not going to make it through the round. First time ever.

I decided to quit but then I realized I was as far away from hole 1 as I could be on the course. I was thinking I'd end up where I started after nine but that is not how that course is set up.

I had to walk back up several incredibly large hills. I collapsed on a tee pad after the first big hill and had to call the owner for help. I was so embarrassed but I knew I was in big trouble. But he was an hour away. The scary thing is that you just can't cool off even when you stop moving. And I was running out of water.

I eventually made it back but me and my dog were covered in ticks and I was miserable for a week afterwards.

Moral of the story is don't do stupid things like me. But I learned a valuable lesson because I didn't think I was going to make it back for a hot second.

Glad to hear you are OK, but heat is tough. Saw a handful of players go down at last year's Am Worlds in the Quad Cities. Even with water available throughout the course, staying hydrated was an effort.

I just got back from a Pittsburgh trip and it was hot. The heat was oppressive, but the elevation is what kick our asses. Other than Moraine, most courses had plenty of benches. We played a couple holes, then sat in the shade, mopped off, drank fluids and cooled down...played a couple more. We had both agreed that if it became too much....we'd quit. No questions or harassment.

Carrying an accordion hand fan helped, some Gatorade mixed in was a good idea, but most of all just slowing your pace and knowing your limits is paramount.

I made a mistake in my original post. The course was Branson Hills, not Ozark Hills if anyone is familiar....its in the heart of the ozark mountains.

David, I blacked out for about 2 minutes. It's funny because I've not felt really the same in the heat since then. It could be in my head but I'm wondering if I did some sort of damage to myself. Otherwise I feel okay.

My word of advice to heed the warning of the review sections of the course you are going to and prepare accordingly. I was just thinking on the way over there that I would be okay, I can make it through anything. I was wrong.

Last edited:
The scary thing is, once you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to help yourself. You just have to hope someone is nearby who recognizes the symptoms.

Hydrate, find shade, and occasionally put water on your face and head, before you get to that point.

A local man died from heat exhaustion earlier this week. He was cutting trails on his property, so no doubt was sure he was conditioned for it; he'd probably worked outside a lot. He was alone, and apparently knew he was in trouble as he'd sat down in some shade. But it was hours later before anyone realized he was missing, and went looking for him.

David, I blacked out for about 2 minutes. It's funny because I've not felt really the same in the heat since then. It could be in my head but I'm wondering if I did some sort of damage to myself. Otherwise I feel okay.

Wow, you're lucky to have come to.

Both of my incidents, I had someone nearby to rescue me. Once when I was a teenager, once in my early 30s, when I was in much better shape. It's no guarantee.

I vaguely remember the same aftereffects, trouble with the heat, from my latter case. And not knowing if it was mental, or physical. Either way, they went away.

Sorry to go on and on....it's a pet issue of mine, between firsthand experiences and some close calls I've witnessed.

The way to avoid problems is, first, to know about and respect the danger. Then, as everyone says, hydrate; that includes pre-hydrate, and keep doing so even when you don't feel thirsty. Perhaps particularly when you don't feel thirsty. Detour out of direct sun, into shade, when you have the opportunity. A little water on your face and head can help, too; I'm not beyond soaking my cap in a creek or pond.

In tournaments, where the rounds last much longer, I try to carry enough liquid to cover myself through the round. Even when the staff is diligent about providing water, it's just my luck to get the 14th hole, go to refill my bottle, and find that that particular water jug is empty.

Late afternoons are better than early afternoons. The temperature may be just as high, but the shadows are longer so there's a lot more shade, and less directly sun.

The worst part for me after my experience is realizing I put my dog in danger as well as myself. I was giving her all the water and forgot to drink enough myself. It could not have been comfortable for her either and she was freaking a bit when I could not go any further....she knew something was wrong with me. And for gods sake if the course reviews say not cart friendly they probably are on to something...

I'm torn between dri-fit t-shirt vs loose cotton or linen button down. No joke. I use one of the latter at the beach and at hot courses in SC in the mid afternoon. I am a fan of the Discraft tournament bag because it holds my big water bottle:
74d78dcd-a914-44bc-8ffd-14b1ee720f65_1.72cbf8a45e0628fce140809eb266e623.jpeg

40 oz bottle that keeps water ice cold throughout. It was fairly cheap (like 13 bucks) at Wal-Mart but super important for me regarding "beating the summer heat"

These are great! love mine.

The hotter it gets, the slower I walk... I start to slow down everything and only push it on the throw... I take breaks...prefer to go out of my way for shade...
Ditto. Shade is your friend! I slow down, but don't necessarily take breaks... trying to reduce my time in the heat.

Also, if I know it's gonna be a scorcher, I try yo pick a course with more shade.

Latest posts