• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Summer Road Trip... Complete

New013

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
So I just got back from an amazing trip to Ozark, AR for Wakarusa with two of my best friends. The festival was absolutely insane and I could spend hours talking about that but the other nice part of the trip was hitting up some DG courses on the way.

We left Raleigh about midnight and set our GPS to Cedar Hill Park in Nashville. Our plan was to get there just as the sun came up but due to various factors we arrived at about 11am and the day was starting to really heat up.

As we stepped up to the first tee we kinda got this feeling of 'man this is going to be one hell of a course.' The first thing I noticed was that the tee pads were huge and the first fairway was gorgeous, we were kind of in awe.... then we started playing the monster of a course and our attitudes went from happy go lucky to omg what have we gotten ourselves in to.

By hole 8 we had run out of water, the temp was sitting at 96 and the humidity was awful. I was completely drinched in my own sweat and one of my friends had already said after hole 9 he was quitting before he died from heat stroke. This was all compounded by the fact that our other friend is a newb at dg and can only throw 200' at a time.. and the course was set up super long, most of the holes were in the longest or second to longest pin positions.

So we finished 10 and my two friends quit, they made for the car and the comfort of air conditioning. I took a break to find a water spicket and when I found it I just turned it on laid under it. After this I continued and found that playing without my one friend slowing us down was much better. The course really is gigantic. When I finally did finish I seriously had the feeling that I was going to have a heat stroke. I had a headache, I was slightly dizzy and my legs were giving way... having said all of that.. I LOVE this course.

Hole after hole offered up gorgeous shot after gorgeous shot. My highlights off the tee were 5,7,10,13,17,18. On 17 and 18 I seriously sat there for a couple of minutes and was just like... wow this is going to be fun. Both are downhill giants. 17 was at 416 and on my first throw I parked it about 15' from the basket on a sweeping hyzer with my wraith. There was some guy at a picnic table who stood up and applauded.. it felt amazing. I threw a couple of more times with both of my TL's... both ended up about 40' of the basket. I went down and made my birdie putt. 18 was in the longest position at 580.. I grabbed my wraith again and pictured my line. I backed up threw it and watched the most beautiful shot that has ever left my hand. I ripped a line drive that hugged the ground going right at the gap in the trees where the basket was sitting. I landed it right at the gap in the trees about 100' from the basket.. meaning I just launched one around 480'. I then went down and made an alright approach shot which left me a 20' putt.. I made it to complete my round.

Here's how my round stacked up when looking at each hole as a par 3 (even though a good amount of holes should be par 4 or 5. I ended up with a 61 at 7over. Which I feel super good about considering this is a professional course.

H1 (450) - 4 ..good drive and approach, missed a makeable putt
H2 (508) - 5 ..nice drive with TL, then i hit a couple trees on approach
H3 (260) - 2 ..parked mako right at basket with an anhyzer
H4 (321) - 3 ..good drive and approach, made a short putt
H5 (230) - 2 ..sign lied about pin position, hit a tree which ended up bouncing disc towards the actual basket, made a short putt
H6 (335) - 4 ..bad drive in to trees, trouble getting out, made a long putt
H7 (568) - 5 ..ok drive, terrible 2nd and 3rd shots.. beautiful hole though
H8 (416) - 4 ..good drive, ok approach, missed 30' putt
H9 (455) - 4 ..nice drive, bad approach, missed 30' putt
10 (431) - 4 ..good drive, good approach, missed putt on elevated basket
11 (316) - 3 ..insanely great drive through trees, parked approach
12 (279) - 3 ..great drive, missed makeable putt
13 (271) - 3 ..hit tree on drive, crazy hyzer spike approach over tree
14 (303) - 3 ..good drive, ok approach
15 (453) - 3 ..good drive, great anhyzer approach, made 30' putt
16 (368) - 3 ..great drive to tree line, barely missed approach
17 (416) - 2 ..insane drive to 15' from basket, made putt
18 (580) - 3 ..best drive ever, good approach, made 20' putt for par

So there's my short take on Cedar Hill.. I could say so much more. I felt great about my round even though I missed four or five putts I should of made. Even though it was hot as hell and I hadn't slept for 30+ hours I had one of best times playing this awesome course. I'll come back later and talk about the next course I played on our trip which was... Horseshoe Canyon Ranch.

horseshoe is awesome ! and so was waka :thmbup: i have some really nice photos of horseshoe that i need to upload. that course is breathtaking . suprised you guys played it in the summer time. normally its best played during the winter season

the hard part was finding it. my friend lost his phone the week before and i lost mine somewhere in asheville on the way and i had the directions stored in it. we had no clue where we were going and when we did get there we realized we could of stopped at a hot spot and used my iPod to get a map... dumb.

we ended up starting our round there around 8 and finished about 11:30. we took a couple of breaks just to enjoy the scenery and rest because that is the longest course i have ever seen. that place is absolutely amazing, i wish i could play landscapes like that all the time. i need to find my iPod so i can post my scores from there. i think i shot a 71 but it may have been a 72. ill get back to you on that. i just loved the fact that most of the holes let you just rip it.

yeah its the longest course i have ever played and man what a workout. and if your playing with more then 2 people rounds can take up to 4 hours . i played the Ice bowl up there earlier this year. i believe i shot a 70+ round . (with mulligans :p) horseshoe canyon is also some of the best rock climbing in the south :thmbup: its a must see for those who are passing through

also what shows did you enjoy the most at waka? for me it was dark star orchestra and umphrey's mcgee . it was a scorcher there is no doubt about that . but what a great wakarusa it was :)

yea it felt like everyday got hotter.. then they tried to con us with the.. "omg here comes a huge storm" and we were like.. **** yes.. then it sprinkled for five minutes and killed the dream.

I didn't catch but about an hour of dark star but loved it, i've seen those guys four or five times so i walked over to skrillex just to check out what all the fuss was about. i was pretty much the only person in VIP so i just got up front and jumped around and got the crowd going nuts. at the end of the show he walked over and gave me a high5 and handed me his glasses right before he jumped in the crowd. afterwards i talked to him for about five minutes and he really is the nicest most down to earth rock star ive ever met. (i said hey to jj grey last year and he completely blew me off, kind of killed mofro for me)

Umphreys tore it up.. those guys get better every show i see. and the shine on you crazy diamond cover was absolutely majestic.

looking back some of the highlights were that peelander z band from japan. those guys were insane, we ended up playing jump rope and beach volleyball in the crowd with them during one of there songs called "Mad Tiger" which is pretty much them just playing two chords punk style and then screaming MAD TIGER!

My Morning Jacket was a surprise, I didn't expect such an incredible show but those guys are really good. Sphongletron blew my mind but I had "help" on that one. The crowd at Thievery kind of disappointed me, nobody was getting down and they are one of my favorite bands. The people next to us in VIP were just standing there and starting making comments when we were dancing. Lotus killed it, one of their best shows I've been to and I've seen about 20.

Honestly the highlight from Waka this year was meeting some locals and getting taken to this place called "the redneck swimming hole." which was a place with some cliffs you could jump in to the river from. i ended up swimming right past a snake in the water and then a fish bit my nipple. it was a fun time, that river is amazing. it seriously saved us from the mid day heat.

Latest posts