• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beauty, Beast, Goliath help

honkeytiger

Birdie Member
For any of you MI golfers, are these three courses the same course with different tees, or what? I am taking a trip there this summer and can't quite figure it out.

I made a roadtrip there 2 years ago, Beauty and Beast are two different courses and Golioath is the basically the Beast played backwards with extended tees. Very long and demanding. Be sure to play Flip City while in the area, you will not be disappointed!

If you are going to the area, make Flip City your #1 priority course to play.

Beauty and Beast are both really nice courses, we ended up not getting a change to play Goliath since we decided to go back to Flip City a second time as we were so blown away by it.

Leviathan is also awesome, and one of the hardest courses I have ever played.

The Mason County Park courses (Beauty, Beast and Goliath, all at the same park) are good courses but are overshadowed by Leviathon (10 minutes away) and Flip City (half hour south).

I would rate Leviathon and Flip City the best two courses in Michigan and we have a ton of world class courses.

Beauty was the first course installed at Mason County and is a short, tight, righty hyzer dominate course. Good right handed pros can post double digit under par scores. Left handed players can further develop their humility.

Beast and Goliath are basically the same course played backwards (they share the same baskets but have separate tee pads). Goliath plays longer and tougher but both are long, tough courses and far more balanced than Beauty. The topography is hilly with few flat spots.

Mason County Park is right off the shore of Lake Michigan and stiff winds are common.

Leviathon is brutal and brilliant. It is long and tight. Ok, it is very long and very tight. An average hole at Leviathon could be the toughest hole on a average course. There are true par 4's and par 5's. Yet it is fair. Meaning it brutalizes everyone, not just you.

Flip City is privately owned by Bill McKenzie and it is a work of art (no really, there are rock sculptures and flower gardens throughout and it is immaculately tended). Flip is very hilly with many of the baskets on side hills or on crests or blind behind hills. If you have not practiced extensively on hills then you may suffer numerous rollaways (even apparently good shots can rollaway, too). Flip will demand every shot in your bag but will surrender deuces if you earn them.

Latest posts