• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Been playing going on 2 weeks. Looking for some disc advice

252chevyboyz

So far I have picked up a few discs. 2 drivers, 2 mid range, and 2 putters. I'm just looking for some advice on which discs I should purchase in the next month or so. I've been shooting +9 - +12 pretty steady. Maybe take the high speed discs and add some 8-9 speed drivers. What would be some good mid-range/fairway drivers? Do I need any better or diff putters? I'm just thinking I need to get some low speed drivers to keep from hooking them to the left really bad. Just trying improve and shoot par or a few under. I got a lot of technique to work on.

Long distance drivers:

Pro Destroyer 168g
Pro Wraith 175g

Fairway Driver:

DX Tee-Bird 150g

Mid-Range:

Innova Shark 171g

Putt & Approach

Innova Polecat 150g
Discraft Soft X APX 171g

You can check out my scores at "thediscgolfscene.com" my name is James Horton just look for me on the recent games or search my name.

-James

I would tell you to throw the teebird, the shark and the apx exclusively for the next 30 days so that you can really learn how to throw those discs well. That's how you will improve the quickest. Learning slower discs will help your form to be cleaner thus throwing your drivers faster.

anything other than what mcjesus just said is useless. this thread is now finished!! lol!

i still do rounds or weeks like this and it helps. You have to have a foundation set before you waste a ton of money and time on the wrong discs. Get some basic throwing down and then move on. too much too soon is a bad thing trust me.

get a pro leopard and a star teebird. these 2 can cover a ton of shots and will always be useful as your skill and distance increases.

go with your shark and maybe something more understable like a fuse or tursas.

putters no one can tell you what is right. if it feels good go with it. discs do not make good putters practice does. Go to a shop if you can and feel a bunch up. if you find one you like grab 2 or 3 of the same weight. this is your best money spent for now. putting is a very important aspect of this game and a solid putting game will go farther than being able to huck a disc 500 feet.

I sure appreciate the info McJ and MrG. The only carriers of discs within a 20 mile radius is Walmart and a local outdoor shop called "Tar River Outdoors" here in rocky mount. The outdoor shop has a trade in program so if you have a disc you never play with you can trade it in and get a discount on another disc. I'm going to follow what McJ said cause if I don't play everyday its every other day. I want to compete next year. I will prolly order the Pro Lepoard, Star Teebird, and I was looking at getting a fuse. I like the disc raft putter for 10 ft and under then the Polecat is good for 15-25ft putt. I got a park behind the house in the neighborhood that I can practice distance. It's about 1 1/2 - 2 football feilds and one end has plenty of trees to practice through.

I really do appreciate the fast response and the helpful info

-James

I would tell you to throw the teebird, the shark and the apx exclusively for the next 30 days so that you can really learn how to throw those discs well. That's how you will improve the quickest. Learning slower discs will help your form to be cleaner thus throwing your drivers faster.

:hfive: I agree 100% but I'll also add consider getting a heavier Teebird in a premium plastic. Also using understable discs is a great way to limit form issues & limit OAT so I'd say try & get an understable disc like a Leopard, River or Underworld to pair with the Teebird.

I will prolly order the Pro Lepoard, Star Teebird, and I was looking at getting a fuse. I like the disc raft putter for 10 ft and under then the Polecat is good for 15-25ft putt.

It's a good choice to e get a newer Teebird & Leopard. Also I'd say just stick with the same putter at all distances & stick with the same mold to help build consistency. Also get max weight putters b/c they're less affected by the wind.

the shark should be money for you for awhile.
The teebird is good but too light, maybe get a heavier one, whatever plastic you like, or I agree with leopard if it's not too light as well.
people love the Buzzz as their midrange, I'd get that since you can throw it harder/farther than your Shark.

Forget all drivers and get and throw any midrange and putter you like.

Only issue I see with the bag is the wraith/destroyer combo. They are essentially the same disc. Go to a field and see if you have better luck with one and shelf the other. Replace with a slower driver or fairway driver with some turn. Leopard would be a good addition to a new player's bag.

Maybe add a mako, kite, or stingray to that shark to cover the mids.

Otherwise, go practice. No other discs are required.

Lots of good advice here, my friend.

If you take the Destroyer, Wraith and Teebird out to a field I would reckon that at this point you won't see too much of a difference, distance or accuracy wise. Your Teebird might even go farther! With a Leo and a Fuse, your Shark and your putters, you should be good for many rounds to come. You can even practice using the Polecat for shorter approaches and upshots as opposed to putting (though it does putt well, for the record)...the Polecat flies more like a traditional Frisbee. Very floaty and a very fun disc to use.

You actually have made some good choice...and depending on your age, natural athletic ability, intangibles, etc. you may be using that Wraith or Destroyer in a month or two as well! Welcome to the sport!

I want to compete next year. I will prolly order the Pro Lepoard, Star Teebird, and I was looking at getting a fuse. I like the disc raft putter for 10 ft and under then the Polecat is good for 15-25ft putt.

Like others here, I also recommend Leopards for new players and wouldn't go any faster drivers until you can consistently throw the leopard over 250'.

If you really want to do well and compete next year, don't forget to practice your putting. The world champ said in his thread here that he practices putting 55%, mids 30%, and drivers 15%. Also, I think most people use the same putter inside the 10m circle so you might look at getting a heavier go to putter as 150 class polecats might have more trouble with wind.

Don't forget to check our Marketplace here for great deals on used plastic!

#1 ~ 171g fuse, Tursas, meteor or other understable mid to complement your overstable 171 shark
#2 ~ 168-170 leopard (champ if you play in the woods or rocky terrain a lot)

My best advice is to have fun, field practice, and play with better people every chance you get!

I am still pretty new. Only been playing since April.though I have seen a big improvement in my game. I would def recommend a Buzzz(I find the ESP FLX) to be an awesome disc. It has helped me a ton.

You're getting solid advice here, focusing on thowing slower discs. While you might not find every disc you might want to try at the local shop choices, of course everything is available online.

Several folks have recommended a leopard as an understable fairway driver to learn, and it's really a safe, classic choice. One newer disc no one has mentioned, but I alsways loan to new players is the diamond by lattitude 64. It's another understable fairway driver, and I find great for new players learning form.

The first driver i ever bought was a Champion Destroyer too. I laugh now to think about what an incredibly bad choice that was. :doh: Wraith isn't exactly beginner friendly either. If you want to throw a driver, I'd recommend a Star or champion mamba. Leopard is a great disc as well.

I'll repeat what everyone else has said though, just in case you're stubborn like me and need some more convincing. Leave the high speed drivers at home. putters and mids are plenty of disc for beginners. :)

I am still pretty new. Only been playing since April.though I have seen a big improvement in my game. I would def recommend a Buzzz(I find the ESP FLX) to be an awesome disc. It has helped me a ton.

The midranges I carry are a Z Buzzz and a D Shark and I threw them exclusively for about a week. I would also recommend a Cyclone with a stability of 0 to drive for a few rounds after just to enforce what you learned.

I would recommend staying in premium plastic. I haven't played the courses by you, but most NC courses I have played are fairly wooded. The base plastic takes a beating. Champion and Star plastic (and discraft equivalent) will make your discs last considerably longer. I see there is a Play-it-Again in Rocky Mount. They usually have a decent selection of various companies and plastics (albeit a little over-priced, but there are usually coupons in the local coupon mailer magazines every few months $5 off $15). I personally like Valks for a driver - they are lower speed (I have a noodle arm). I throw a lot of thumbers, so when I got a Firebird (even though it was domey) it helped my own style immensely. I would recommend getting a putter in premium plastic that you can drive with. When I discovered putters (I went over a year with only using it within 30 feet), my game (technique, form) drastically improved. I started with a KC Pro Aviar, and then moved to MVP ions. my 2 cents. But do have fun.

I picked up a 175g Leopard tonight after a match up in Raleigh. I played at Kentwood Park and it was beautiful course. Should have taken pics but ill be back to play for sure. I eliminated the high speed drivers and only used fairway drivers and putters. I scored a 63 or +9 for the course. That to me is in an improvement. I as wooded as the course was I thought I was goin to shoot way over. The Teebird is rather easy to control or at least I feel that I'm gaining some control over it

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice
-James

You are honestly the first person to say that Kentwood is a beautiful course :) Those rocks will help season any base plastic disc fairly quickly.

Kentwood and Cedar Hills are the two courses I learned how to play. My first ace was on hole 6 with a dx Teebird at Kentwood.

I also will piggy back on the suggestion of getting an understable fairway driver like a leopard. I throw domey opto rivers and I get similar flights out of them.

There use to be a Play it Again in Rocky Mount. Then again I haven't been in Rocky Mount for an extended period of time since 2005 or so. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods or REI, they sell discs as well. Just be prepared to pay more at those stores than you would at PIAS.