• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner bag with some test discs

krjones4

So ive been playing about 4 months now and this is what i have come up with for my bag after recently finding/buying a few discs

and insight would be great, i currently can get my teebirds consistantly about 270-300 golf D, and if i have some room can get it to about 330 on a good throw.

1. Stable Control Drivers
172 DX Teebird, just about beat into straight
169 DX Gazelle, just bought trying it out, hopefully will work for some line shaping

2. Distance Drivers
Same DX Teebird as above(i have a 168 champ orc but the extra 10 or so feet isnt enough to compensate for the lack in accuracy)

3. Understable Driver
170 DX Teebird, very beat (this was my first driver bought off of a local pond diver so who knows how much this disc has seen)
??? Pro Leopard, semi beat but weight unknown, found recently so giving it a test run

4. Moderately Overstable Driver
170 Champ 11X Teebird, headwinds and hyzers

Mids: (used up to about 250'
172 DX Roc, dead straight and can form a decent anny
175 DX Roc, brand new just bought

Putters:
172 KC Aviar, putting and upshots up to 150'

You're missing a category. ;)

You may not get a lot of D out of it, but learning to throw spike hyzers with a very overstable driver is very useful.

I like the choice of staying away from faster drivers while you're learning. Once you're throwing a bit farther you'll see some benefit from a faster driver for your distance driver and moderatly overstable slots. For now, focus on driving with the Aviar, Rocs and Gazelle.

You may not get a lot of D out of it, but learning to throw spike hyzers with a very overstable driver is very useful

yeah ive messed around with a few spike hyzer shots with the champ teebird, just not a shot i use alot and therefore am not very comfortable with it. it basically only gets used if i get in trouble and its the only route i can take to the basket.

krjones4 said:
You may not get a lot of D out of it, but learning to throw spike hyzers with a very overstable driver is very useful

yeah ive messed around with a few spike hyzer shots with the champ teebird, just not a shot i use alot and therefore am not very comfortable with it. it basically only gets used if i get in trouble and its the only route i can take to the basket.
I'm not sure a Teebird will be overstable enough for spike hyzers for you. You want to be able to throw full power on a hyzer and not have the disc flatten at all. Once you get comfortable with spike hyzers you'll wonder how you played without them.

I'm not sure a Teebird will be overstable enough for spike hyzers for you. You want to be able to throw full power on a hyzer and not have the disc flatten at all. Once you get comfortable with spike hyzers you'll wonder how you played without them.

yeah i know its not the ideal disc for the job but im trying not to buy more discs at the moment, maybe if i run by a firebird or pred at pias for cheap ill pick one up. but unless that happens i think ill hold off for a little bit longer

krjones4 said:
maybe if i run by a firebird or pred at pias for cheap ill pick one up. but unless that happens i think ill hold off for a little bit longer

For your power, a fairly heavy DX or Champ Banshee would also work well. Just wanted to throw that in for your shopping choices.