• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Course Reviews

Does anyone else out there feel like a beginner should not review a course? Giving a 2 rating to a 4 rated course because your skills are not there to score well, just isn't fair to the course! Maybe a recommendation to new players to get a year or so under their belt before doing any reviews would help.

Does anyone else out there feel like a beginner should not review a course? Giving a 2 rating to a 4 rated course because your skills are not there to score well, just isn't fair to the course! Maybe a recommendation to new players to get a year or so under their belt before doing any reviews would help.

Review is just another word for opinion. and sadly everyones entitled to one

If the course's feelings are hurt, I'm sure it'll get over it.

One or two outlier reviews hardly make a difference in the overall rating.

If you were to have a standard, it wouldn't be a time-based (1 year?), it would be number of courses played.

Yeah, my opinion is that a person (my personal experience ) did not have enough diversity to draw from for an accurate review (comparison of courses) until after 200 some courses in 20 some states. It it were possible to create a guideline say reviewers must have at least 100 courses in 5 or more states... but then again there's this button that allows me to filter by trusted reviewers which results in the same thing.

maybe they shouldnt but it should be their choice

Hi all, I'm a relative beginner (less than a year), but read every review on the courses I've played (27 now), the suggestions for writing reviews, and set myself a standard: play a course at least ten times before I write a review. I also have stated in my (two) reviews (Woodland Mound and Amelia), something about my novice status. I know I would like to have more years and courses in, but tried really hard to write by and for my level (rec). I hope to earn the title 'trusted reviewer' some day by being principled and honest... Anyway, I appreciate this site and all the info you guys share. Thanks!

I sometimes wonder if I should bother with doing a course review. But I recently did a couple after a weekend in NC. One course I gave a good review with the caveat that the course might not be challenging enough for advanced players. The other I felt completely mislead by a 3.5+ average rating for a course that I felt was actually average a best because it had small old tees, rusty baskets and virtually nothing but wooded tunnel shots.

Were my reviews based on my relatively beginner opinion - sure. But I wanted to provide a decenting opinion for others like me.

Don't be so quick to limit other peoples opinions. If we all liked the same thing we'd drive to the course in the car and throw the same 8-10 discs. Diversity is good - the trick is to understand and appreciate the different perspectives.

Last edited:
Don't be so quick to limit other peoples opinions. If we all liked the same thing we'd drive to the course in the car and throw the same 8-10 discs. Diversity is good - the trick is to understand and appreciate the different perspectives.

:thmbup:

If you really look at each review and do a little homework you can get a good idea of the course thru someone else's eyes. Although I don't consider myself to be a novice, I can appreciate a novice's opinion. And sometimes the freshest eyes see the most.

I've played courses that were rated quite high only to find I didn't like the course all that much. Then there's been times I thoroughly enjoyed a 2 rated course, that, in my opinion, should have been rated much, much higher.

Why do some people feel the need to be elitists? At least when I hear folks talking down about n00bs, chuckers, or novices it bugs me. We were all there at one time. Personally I applaud a novice who takes the time to write a good review.

Other beginners should know how the course will treat them based on a beginner's review. That's kinda what the site is all about. A beginner should be able to look on the review page and see "Wow, okay, since that guy said it was the hardest course for him as a beginner, maybe I should wait awhile before tackling that beast."

As long as you're clear about your criteria and where you're coming from, there's useful information to be had from any level of player. If a beginner wants to find a course appropriate to their level, they'll likely get good recommendations from others at their level with similar tastes.

Just check out Harrs and Mashnuts reviews. They have a basic framework, yet don't always write about the same characteristics of said course every time. Hell, check out all of the diamond Tr's styles, they are the best of the best.... and have all played enough courses to where you know they have a broad enough perspective on which to base their opinion.

It's not about experience level. It's about your ability to analyze and effectively evaluate something. Having a beginners view on a course is as valuable to someone who has never played the course as an old pros opinion who may call the course home. A variety of opinions and experiences levels is important and should be valid.

The bigger issue is always the people, experienced or not, that spend about 2 seconds throw up something sloppy based on their feelings over the last five minutes without giving the course the respect it deserves. That what should get most people blood boiling because that skews data and gives a possible false representation, which may discourage people from playing a particular course.

Yeah, my opinion is that a person (my personal experience ) did not have enough diversity to draw from for an accurate review (comparison of courses) until after 200 some courses in 20 some states. It it were possible to create a guideline say reviewers must have at least 100 courses in 5 or more states... but then again there's this button that allows me to filter by trusted reviewers which results in the same thing.

Add to that a minimum rating of 950, ability to throw 375+ feet ON A GOLF LINE, and a college degree from a respected university. Let's get rid of the pretenders who are good with the written word but don't know how to golf. Also, you should have to pass a drug test (administered semi-annually).

Beginners with minimal of experience are able to write reviews that can be useful to many. It is a good idea to make their perspective apparent upfront in the review. I think all reviewers can benefit from this, and it's something that I'm planning on taking a look at and updating in my reviews.

I think that one of the best statements of perspective is written into all of Dave242's reviews:

"It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well this course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. See my profile for specifics on my rating philosophy.

I fancy myself as a connoisseur of good course design and I am a competitive Blue level (950-ish rated) with mid-level power (accurate to 300' with max D of 360'). Since I have played a decent number of courses (215+ 18-hole, 120+ 9-hole as of late 2011), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me…..and that's the fun of things here. "

Add to that a minimum rating of 950, ability to throw 375+ feet ON A GOLF LINE, and a college degree from a respected university. Let's get rid of the pretenders who are good with the written word but don't know how to golf. Also, you should have to pass a drug test (administered semi-annually).

I'm out of the review business then. Especially that last part.

This sarcasm is particularly funny coming from the mouth of Spicolie.

I love this forum! my question was answered six ways from sunday on a thursday afternoon. After reading everyone's input, I myself have come to the conclusion that there is a reason for a beginner's review of a course :) Being open minded was always one of my strong points....

I love this forum! my question was answered six ways from sunday on a thursday afternoon. After reading everyone's input, I myself have come to the conclusion that there is a reason for a beginner's review of a course :) Being open minded was always one of my strong points....

It's a wonderful forum and that open-mindedness will serve you well. :thmbup: Just don't get butt-hurt when you accidentally clone a thread and get sh!t for it and you'll do just fine:D

If that were the case, then intermediate and pros shouldn't be able to rate courses... I've seen plenty of people review a course low because it was too easy for them. How would that be fair..its really not a big deal.