• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Course Reviews

Beginners play courses. Beginners should be able to tell others what they think of courses. Gives everyone perspective of a course through the eyes of a beginner. Which is good because there are lots of beginners playing courses.

*Also, you can sort reviews by experience in years, by number of courses played, or by number of reviews.

Does anyone else out there feel like a beginner should not review a course? Giving a 2 rating to a 4 rated course because your skills are not there to score well, just isn't fair to the course! Maybe a recommendation to new players to get a year or so under their belt before doing any reviews would help.

Who reviews by the score they made?

People and their preferences are different. These things help to make this site so enjoyable and the course information so helpful.

It's nice to hear different perspectives on a course in order to come up with an overall feel for it. So I welcome well-done reviews by anyone from novice to pro.

Thanks to everyone here to takes the time to submit quality reviews. I applaud you all. :clap:

I've always thought about reviewing the 8 courses I've played, but I haven't because I don't think I've played enough courses to compare them too. If I were to review, I'd try and stay as objective as possible, but I'd also state that I'm an average player that's only played a few courses in western PA. I wouldn't review based on my score, if that was the case, Knob Hill would get about a 1.5, and I like the course.

I've always thought about reviewing the 8 courses I've played, but I haven't because I don't think I've played enough courses to compare them too. If I were to review, I'd try and stay as objective as possible, but I'd also state that I'm an average player that's only played a few courses in western PA. I wouldn't review based on my score, if that was the case, Knob Hill would get about a 1.5, and I like the course.

Another important this to note is that you can revise your reviews as your experience level and exposure to new courses occurs. I think people tend to forget about that important little item. I started my first reivews when I only had about 20 courses under my belt, but as I played new courses and new areas I just went back and revised as needed.

Review away - even if you have just played one course, just remember to do your homework - i.e. read some other good reviews, factor in the already established course rating, maybe do a comparision of rating between reviews and TR reviews, review terrain, length, maybe go over a map again. If you put the work in up front and just spend a little time then you'll be just fine.

The more reviews the better. Ignore the opinions that don't help you. Even those reviews by people who are not in your situation may have a nugget of information you can use.

Some courses are targeted at beginners. The managers of those courses would like to know if the first-timers couldn't find the tees. A better, more experienced player might just say "it's a pitch-and-putt" and leave it at that, which doesn't help the course adjust for its target market.

As a beginner... I certainly wouldn't feel like I had anything to add.

Although, to the above point, I suppose that knowing that the couse is somehow bad or good for beginners from the perspective of an actual beginner would be cool. I know we accidentally did Zilker out of order the first time we went and wasted a lot of time looking for stuff.

Last edited:
As a beginner... I certainly wouldn't feel like I had anything to add.

Although, to the above point, I suppose that knowing that the couse is somehow bad or good for beginners from the perspective of an actual beginner would be cool. I know we accidentally did Zilker out of order the first time we went and wasted a lot of time looking for stuff.

As a beginner you still have something to add. Even places like flip city with a billion reviews can still get fresh perspectives sometimes. Just make what you add quality reading. :D

IMO the content of the review is far more important than the rating. Sooner or later, the ratings work themselves out and the outliers become less significant.

... but then again there's this button that allows me to filter by trusted reviewers which results in the same thing.
:thmbup: Why do you think Tim decided to award TR's in the first place? I love the TR filter as well as the details to see the rating distribution. I often click details to check outlier ratings to see who's they are and see if their review/credentials "pass the smell test."

No matter what the subject, when considering what someone has to say, I always try to consider the source. A review from someone who's only played year or two, on 10-20 courses in one or two states isn't going to hold much weight with me. 50 or so courses, a few states and a few years experience, is going to have a lot more influlence in my choice of which courses to visit (and perhaps even what discs to throw in my bag). Then there are people like Martin (been there, played that) and Diamond Reviewers, who's opinions really carry a lot of weight..

That, and how well the review is written. Say what you will, but the opinions of people who can express themselves coherently hold more sway with me than those who cannot. I also find articulate people to be pretty objective (for the most part), with ratings and reviews that are less biased towards some ratings conspiracy agenda. I challenge you to find review from a Diamond that you honestly think is way off the mark, or is poorly written.

Last edited:
Considering DGCR's basic tenet of user-generated reviews, I'd say that it goes without saying that ANYONE should feel encouraged to write a course review, regardless of their skill level or experience.

/thread

I'm not sure how someone can say a persons review of a course isn't good if they haven't played x number of courses in x amount of states. Personally, I have only played 5 courses in 3 states. but I've played 1 of them a good 100 times and another at least 10-15 times. I feel like I can give a good review of a course only playing it once or twice. Yes, I may not know the intricacies or nuances of a course. But, I still have played enough to know how to rate a course.

I never rate a course on my score, that is just stupid. I actually tend to rate more challenging courses higher. I enjoy a challenge. As long as the design makes holes demanding, and not impossible, I will not take away from a review. I've played enough where I feel like people can get good feedback from my reviews. To say that because I don't have a certain amount of courses played that I can't give good reviews is just not true.

Edit: It helps, but you don't have to play other courses to be able to compare a course to another for your review. You can review a course by how well it stands on it's own. Was it challenging? Were there a good mix of holes (wooded, open, short, long, difficult, and some to let you catch your breath)? How well was it kept? What could make it better? What type of game suits the course? ETC.

Last edited: