• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner Forehand disc

Technohic

* Ace Member *
Just curious, what was the first disc you threw forehand with consistant success?

I like to use multiple throws but the forehand, while I had it work for a while, it just seems I never mastered it.

The Xclone, which has been out of production for several years...

Try a predator, it may be a bit overstable to handle at first, but you should quickly grow into it.

I love my Chamion Orc. It goes striaght as a dart if you keep it low, but can get a good hyzer if you just raise it up a bit. It is very consisent for me.

Keep em comming, I want to think about this for a while and try to get it right.

Also, what about weights? Should I keep the same thought as you would starting to get a BH drive or does it require a little heavier for the speed? This might be dificult unless I benchmark some sort of disc I guess.

The Reaper maybe??
personally I also really like the Starfire and wish they would have had those when I started playing:)

Keep em comming, I want to think about this for a while and try to get it right.

Also, what about weights? Should I keep the same thought as you would starting to get a BH drive or does it require a little heavier for the speed? This might be dificult unless I benchmark some sort of disc I guess.

my forehand discs are 173 to 175 and i throw backhand 170-173

If I'm not mistaken I think that most people go with max weight drivers for FH shots. I don't know why, that's just what I heard. My Orc is max weight, but that's just because I bought it as a noob and it has worked so I've kept it and don't really venture out too far with other stuff.

I like max weight for FH shots personally.

Have a 172 gram, white pro starfire 8.5/10 for trade if any of you starfire junkies want to work a deal...

Well for forehand, I throw a 150 Valk most the time and do a hyzer flip with it. I have a 163 DX Eagle that I throw level and it seems slightly understable now RHBH. So would I go around 165-167 with an eagle or Teebird or just look for the in champ or star plastic?

Or maybe go for something faster?

i started with a champion banshee. I think if you are throwing forehand for a right hook or something and not pure distance start with something quite overstable to account for the poor form you start with. once you hone your skills with it you can move to less stable. basically when you get to throwing forehand and the disc not being super wobbly in air then your getting it. smooth flat release not allot of arm speed required

i guess T bird but that was before i understood overstability etc - then nothing worked great until i discovered Flick / Xcals

the learning curve for a FH is so much smaller at least was for me - you can learn to throw your hardest FH so much quicker - just need to know what disc can handle such
going from a middle of the road driver to an overstable disc isn't such a crazy leap.

Not as crazy as a person leaning BH throwing a leapard then going with a bosss

haven't thrown it but i've heard good things about the Banshee being thrown FH

also of the ones ive tried perhaps a Firebird could be beginnerish - i think i wished i had one of those when starting out

Well, I want to go for the most distance out of it really.

Purpose of me wanting to get it down is, say from the tee you have a tree on the left of it forcing you to take more aim to the right than you would like to but could be ignored FH. Or if you are up against a treeline on the left of the fairway and dont really have enough arm room for BH throw.

at first i tried throwing my champ beast forehanded, and i hated it. then i bought an r-pro boss, and i can trow it forehanded better than my beast. my backhand throw sucks (still working on it). i can snap it better forehanded.

See, i kept thinking Flick but I was thinking it would be too much to soon.

What about a Viper? Anyone try those?

Latest posts