• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner forehand disc

josiahv

Par Member
I have a friend who just started playing disc golf. She throws primarily RHBH but likes to throw forehand shots here and there. Her big issue is she has massive amounts of OAT so most discs crash left instead of going straight and then right on her throws.

She's a very casual player, so I'm not really looking for the "get her to use a super understable disc so she can learn to throw without OAT" replies.

I'm just looking for a disc that she can forehand easily.

I forehand a drone...but that's a small part OAT, larger part stupid amount of spin the way I flick...could try the Ace Race 2010? Or one of the Lat 64 discs with the slanted rim. I get a cleaner release on those when forehanding

when i started forehand I love the teerex.

this is still a girl he is talking about

She's also a former SEC volleyball player... in other words, she's more athletic than most disc golfers, male or female, I wouldn't worry about the girl factor too much... ;)

Last edited:
I throw almost all RHBH, but for some shots I throw forehand -- my favorite forehand disc of all time is the Champ Valk. I throw a 150g class Valk for both forehand and backhand -- they are the best all-around drivers ever, IMO. ;) Also, since I normally don't throw forehand, having a lighter weight one let's me get a good flick on the disc for good distance.

Garret

Eagle-X, Banshee, or Firebird. Premium plastic is good, but you could get a couple DXs as trials (for both molds and weights)

I'd say Banshee and try to match her weight lbs to disc weight grams. So if she weighs 170lbs get a 170g Banshee. I wouldn't ask her weight though. ;)