• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner form thread! RHBH

Good evening! Hope you all are doing well. I'm starting to think my body is just illiterate in the left to right direction. Took some swings with a baseball bat, then switched to lefty to get that same feel and timing and you'd think I'd never played a sport in my life, but I digress.

Here are a couple more throws. One standstill, one moving. I'm trying to address the head turning first, since I believe that's a symptom or cause of rounding. Any tip suggestions or additional drills are definitely appreciated.

Weird question - Is the disc "ripping out of your hand" or the "the hit" that same feeling that you get when you accidentally round and griplock (with the disc ripping out)? Except when you do it correctly your shoulders will be more square, head is still in line, and your hips are driving the throw?

One standstill, one moving. I'm trying to address the head turning first, since I believe that's a symptom or cause of rounding. Any tip suggestions or additional drills are definitely appreciated.

regarding the standstill:

looks like your not rotating your upper body away from the target as much as we need to. this drill really helped me and my reachout feel how coiled up i needed to be. i would also put a disc on the ground as a visual queue of where my hand should go in a reachout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

Weird question - Is the disc "ripping out of your hand" or the "the hit" that same feeling that you get when you accidentally round and griplock (with the disc ripping out)? Except when you do it correctly your shoulders will be more square, head is still in line, and your hips are driving the throw?

from rounding i dont think i do. if the disc shanks to the left i know i didnt keep a good angle with my upper arm to chest during the backswing.

what i feel in my hand is during my backswing if my hand gets to high then i throw the disc and i can feel that off axis torque as the disc doesnt come out of my hand as clean. if im aiming to the right anywhere i can accidently put too much anhyzer on release and then mix in a little off axis torque will rip my hand up even more

regarding the standstill:

looks like your not rotating your upper body away from the target as much as we need to. this drill really helped me and my reachout feel how coiled up i needed to be. i would also put a disc on the ground as a visual queue of where my hand should go in a reachout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

This is a good catch! Hadn't even thought that I might not be rotating back correctly. I certainly don't feel like my upper body is "coiling" in my full swing like SW22 mentions in the video you linked. Back to the drawing board...

Standstill looks a lot better than the x-step. You do some weird head tilt in the x-step.
Both look like you plant weak leaving pressure back and then try too hard and spin out both feet.
Pay attention to the second golf vid, Fall into Motion.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

Hello! I'm back for more form work soon. Been focusing on my game and playing a lot lately which has been great, but I need to buckle back down and figure this out.

I played the Creeping Creek NADGT tournament a few weeks ago and have a blast. I love the course you all put together, will definitely be back next year!

Alright! We're back.

-I've been focusing hard on trying on keeping my head down and not opening up the shoulders too early
-I've been focusing on trying to keep my hips in line with target and coiling against them

-The thing I can't seem to fix is that rear hip. You can see in my backswing my foot automatically turns out no matter what I do with my xstep or standstill (rear hip opens), and I lose my hip positioning. Then it seems my leg has to clear out of the way for the swing because they hips are out of position. How the heck do I keep my hips correct? Assume the coil should be bracing against that rear leg.

Latest posts