• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginner looking for feedback on some disc choices (and just general advice)

Sorry, 5 minutes elapsed, couldn't edit. Just think of this as tacked onto the second paragraph of my last post:

Discs I'm thinking of for straight drivers include the Assassin, Wraith (this one would need to get beat up HARD), Beast, SL, Viking, Spectra, or Valkyrie. Unstable discs I'm considering are the Monarch, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Xpress, and Archangel.

Last edited:
Sorry, 5 minutes elapsed, couldn't edit. Just think of this as tacked onto the second paragraph of my last post:

Discs I'm thinking of for straight drivers include the Assassin, Wraith (this one would need to get beat up HARD), Beast, SL, Viking, Spectra, or Valkyrie. Unstable discs I'm considering are the Monarch, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Xpress, and Archangel.

I use a Polaris LS from Millennium for long straight shots. My understable driver is the Monarch and I love it more after every throw. If thrown with a little hyser it flattens out and glides forever.

I'd recommend against all of those discs. Most of them are way too fast. The Xpress wouldn't be too bad, but IMO there are better discs for learning.

If I were you, I'd buy a (DX Gazelle OR D Cyclone) AND a (DX Cheetah OR DX Ace OR Polaris LS). This will give you a more stable, but slower and easy to control fairway driver and a slightly understable, but very controlable for your current power fairway driver. As the discs beat in you'll get to see the spectrum of stabilities to expect from a fairway driver.

I'd also opt for the same strategy with mids. DX and KC Rocs start off on the overstable side but beat in really well. I doubt you'll find a mid that beats in nicer than a Roc. You can also supplement it with something that starts off more neutral like a D Buzzz, Aurora MS or Comet for the same effect I described above.

Not to sound rude to you last two posters, but that was only a small bit of my full post...it overlapped to the next page (because I couldn't edit, as I mentioned) so I guess it was easy to miss, but there were a few more questions there!

In reply to garublador: Do you really think they're too fast? I'm not terrible at controlling the Crush, and it's an 11...all of those discs I listed are 11s or lower. I haven't really tried a fairway driver so I don't know how different they are from distance drivers...to me, having 4 categories (distance, fairway, mid, putter) just complicates things. Discraft has even more, 5 categories total (max, extra long, long, mid, putter). That's just overwhelming, really. Are fairway drivers really much more different from midranges?
As for the Gazelle and the Cheetah, those two seem to have fairly similar flight patterns...far too similar to make it worth buying both of them, as they just overlap. The Gazelle seems like a slower version of the Crush, and the Cheetah is the same but with a little bit of turn...

Let me try to do some internal narration and break this down.
And as far as I know, there are 5 general types of discs (just talking about flight patterns here, not speed):
-Overstable curve (positive fade, positive turn)
-Overstable hook (positive fade, no turn)
-Stable line driver (as close as possible to zero fade/turn)
-Stable turnover (positive fade, negative turn)
-Roller (close to zero fade, negative turn)

It all comes down to what I NEED to make every kind of shot. As far as I can tell, there are 8 types of shots:
-Hyzer (can be done with any kind of overstable or line disc)
-Anhyzer (can be done with any kind of line disc...if it gets too understable, it will roll)
-S shot (refers to a stable turnover disc thrown flat)
-Flex shot (can only be done with an overstable disc thrown anhyzer...makes a similar pattern to the S shot)
-Tomahawk (any)
-Thumber (any...for this and the Tomahawk I hear overstables work best?)
-Hyzer flip (can only be done with an understable disc thrown hyzer)
-Roller (done best with an understable disc)

So, ignoring overhand throws, there are 6 types of shots. An overstable disc can be used for hyzers and flex shots. An understable disc can be used for anhyzers and hyzer flips. That just leaves rollers and S shots. If I were to buy a dedicated roller disc, I'd go with the Stingray as I first mentioned, and I could use it for controlled hyzer flips as well. So that leaves the S shot.

What do you guys think of S shots? Is it worth it to have a dedicated S disc? That would put me up to 3 drivers. Should I do that? OR should I buy an S driver and beat it up to make my understable...

Thanks a lot, guys! If you have the time, reply to my last post too (last one on page 2 of this thread).

Not to sound rude to you last two posters, but that was only a small bit of my full post...it overlapped to the next page (because I couldn't edit, as I mentioned) so I guess it was easy to miss, but there were a few more questions there!
I thought I covered all the major stuff. Let me know what other quesions you were looking for answers on.

In reply to garublador: Do you really think they're too fast?
Short answer, definitely.

Longer answer, faster drivers are more nose angle sensitive and much more tolerant of off-axis torque (there's a thread about OAT if you want more info). There are two ways to get them to fly well: throw them with enough velocity and nose down or torque the crap out of them. Most people who try to learn with them end up doing the latter. What will almost definitely happen is you will hit a plateu with them (280', 320' and 350' are the common ones) and get stuck. You'll also have difficulty consistantly shaping lines and getting the most (if anything) out of mids and putters. Working with slower drivers and some work you'll still probably get stuck at that last plateu, but you'll also have good control with mids and putters and much better line shaping skills and control. You'll also have the oppertunity to jump to throwing fairway drivers >400'.

Plus, even when you have improved, you'll find distance drivers to be the least consistant and most difficult to control discs in your bag. Fairway drivers are much more forgiving and controlable and you really won't be giving up as much distance as you'd think.

to me, having 4 categories (distance, fairway, mid, putter) just complicates things. Discraft has even more, 5 categories total (max, extra long, long, mid, putter). That's just overwhelming, really. Are fairway drivers really much more different from midranges?
There's a lot of wisdom in there. As a new player that is too many categories. Your goal should be gaining the ability to cover all lines with just a putter, mid and fairway driver. As you improve you'll find that more situational discs (e.g. a distance driver, an understable driver and a faster, overstable driver) will perform better for some shots, but being able to perform those shots with just those three discs will be invalueable. Rather than being limited by the number of discs in your bag you'll have countless options with just a few discs.

As for the Gazelle and the Cheetah, those two seem to have fairly similar flight patterns...far too similar to make it worth buying both of them, as they just overlap. The Gazelle seems like a slower version of the Crush, and the Cheetah is the same but with a little bit of turn...
Correct again. That is overlap that you'll eventually want to get rid of. The issue is that Gazelles and Cyclones start off more overstable than you might think. That will make getting a hyzer flip (what will be your bread and butter shot) out of them nearly impossible (I'm confident in saying I can throw a Gazelle 350' and I have trouble flipping a new Gazelle to flat on a clean throw). However, this is an easy and very predictable shot with a beat up Gazelle. Since finding a beat up Gazelle can prove to be difficult and/or time consuming, you can simulate the experience by using a Cheetah. As those discs beat up you can add a new DX Gazelle so you have an overstable fairway driver, a stable one and an understable one. So, the Cheetah is easier with which to learn, but higher power players can find them too understable. I'm being optimistic and saying that you'll probably outgrow the Cheetah (remember there were KC Pro Cheetahs, so they can be useful to higher power players as well), so you'll have a Gazelle on deck when you're ready for that. If you only want one of those two discs, start with the Cheetah.

Did all that even make sense?

Let me try to do some internal narration and break this down.
And as far as I know, there are 5 general types of discs (just talking about flight patterns here, not speed):
-Overstable curve (positive fade, positive turn)
-Overstable hook (positive fade, no turn)
-Stable line driver (as close as possible to zero fade/turn)
-Stable turnover (positive fade, negative turn)
-Roller (close to zero fade, negative turn)
Remember that there will be a fairly wide spectrum of lines in 4 of those categories (you can only get so straight). You'll want to be able to control how much hyzer, how much fade, when and how much turn over and when, if and how much fade. Again, learning all of those with one fairway driver (or two using the strategy I outlined above) will put you ahead of someone using 5 discs. You'll be able to cover all of the spectra of each category while the person with 5 discs will only have the general categories covered.

What do you guys think of S shots? Is it worth it to have a dedicated S disc? That would put me up to 3 drivers. Should I do that? OR should I buy an S driver and beat it up to make my understable...
The most common, and IMO best choice for this shot is what some call a "workable" fairway driver. All of the fairway drivers I recommended are very workable. That means they can easily be controlled for everything from hyzers to anhyzers and all 'S' shots inbetween (i.e. flips from hyzer to flat, turns at any point you want (100' out, 200' out, etc), holds that turnover for the rest of the flight and then either fades or drops down flat) by controlling how much and what direction of OAT you impart. Remember how I said faster discs mask OAT well? That means they're more difficult to get that variety of lines out of. Mids and putters respond too well (they don't mask OAT) and generally don't fade as hard, so it's difficult to get those 'S' shots out of them, either.

This is a lot of information being thrown at you here. Let me know if you need clarification or if there are more specific quetsions you have. I will say you are pretty insightful for someone new to the game. That's difficult to do when you get so much conflicing information, especally when a lot of it comes from disc manufacturers.

Hey again. Thanks for clarifying a bunch of stuff, Garublador--you have the patience of a saint. The post that didn't get replied to was this one. The last paragraph is the most important, just some minor confusion about plastics.

There are two ways to get them to fly well: throw them with enough velocity and nose down or torque the crap out of them.
I'm having some trouble visualizing OAT. Do you know of any diagrams that show this?(I saw the grip tutorial, I'm more interested in the physics of it) The simplest way I can interpret this in the case of distance drivers is that their speed resets their natural path more quickly than a fairway driver. I read the OAT thread and the way you describe it, it sounds like a sort of "wobbling" happens in the air--if the axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the flight plate, the disc wobbles. Am I right so far? I've only ever had a disc noticeably wobble a few times, and it was when I did a hyzer flip with my putter (which I find strange, because it's supposed to be pretty overstable for a putter...Challenger FLX-2/3/0/2). I'm not sure how this wobbliness translates into flight patterns exactly though.

As you improve you'll find that more situational discs (e.g. a distance driver, an understable driver and a faster, overstable driver) will perform better for some shots, but being able to perform those shots with just those three discs will be invalueable.
Gotcha. So holding off on getting more specialty drivers will help me improve my form with slower discs that are more telling about mistakes. So when should I invest in these? When I can toss a fairway driver 400'? That sounds pretty intense. Is that 400' on flat ground with no wind? So far I can only get my distance driver about 275', probably a bit more if there's no headwind. Also, in your parentheses there, you separated distance driver and fast/overstable driver. Can't they generably be the same disc? Or do you support the idea of having an overstable+stable+understable set for drivers once you can control them? And is the reason you said a fast, overstable disc because overstables are better at dealing with headwinds?

That is overlap that you'll eventually want to get rid of. The issue is that Gazelles and Cyclones start off more overstable than you might think...Since finding a beat up Gazelle can prove to be difficult and/or time consuming, you can simulate the experience by using a Cheetah. As those discs beat up you can add a new DX Gazelle so you have an overstable fairway driver, a stable one and an understable one.
Yeah, from what I've read a lot of people like to do this. Sounds similar to the Roc deal. So, is there any reason you'd recommend the Gazelle specifically, or would any reasonably overstable disc do? Would you say you generally advocate going with two molds rather than 3 for a given distance bracket? Would you advise against getting something really overstable to start with like a Whippet or a Viper? See, I have this inclination to go with extremes to cover my bases (I guess that's a common newbie thing)...I feel like I should get one really overstable, one stable, and one really understable, because I want to avoid overlapping like I mentioned.

Mids and putters respond too well (they don't mask OAT) and generally don't fade as hard, so it's difficult to get those 'S' shots out of them, either.
What would you say mids are good for and which ones should I look at? You've been very thorough about fairway drivers but I'd like to know about these too. Should I just go with the Roc like everyone else and see how it flies for me? Like I mentioned before I'm also really interested in the Stingray (like I said, attracted to extremes). The Comet looks cool too, so those are the three I'm looking at right now.

As for putters, I'm still not sure how I feel about my Challenger. I'm looking at the XD, the Rhyno, and the Rattler for possible purchases to compare to.

This is a lot of information being thrown at you here. Let me know if you need clarification or if there are more specific quetsions you have. I will say you are pretty insightful for someone new to the game.
Yeah, it's a lot to take in at once, and, like you say, a lot of conflicting information everywhere to screw you up. Thanks for the compliment--my physics professor was really into sports mechanics...he won an Emmy for his work on a program that would predict golf ball paths and stuff, cool guy. His enthusiasm was really contagious. :D

Wow...... you put alot of thought into your disc choices.... ( caculating and all those number things ).... I have more inovas than anything else mainly because that's what they sell locally mainly.... I am a big fan of the champ valk and beast...... I also love my cobra's.... real controllable....anyway I'm a rookie also so take it for what it's worth.....

Hey again. Thanks for clarifying a bunch of stuff, Garublador--you have the patience of a saint.
No problem. It's easy to have paitence when it's an information exchange with a captive audience rather than a debate. You'd be surprised at how many people want advice and then argue with you when you give it.

The post that didn't get replied to was this one. The last paragraph is the most important, just some minor confusion about plastics.
The Champ Leopard shouldn't show visual signs of wear that quick. If there are chunks missing or displaced that's out of the ordinary. If there are marks that don't affect the flight or feel, that's no big deal. I judge damage by how it affects flight. How a disc looks doesn't matter.

I'm having some trouble visualizing OAT. Do you know of any diagrams that show this?(I saw the grip tutorial, I'm more interested in the physics of it)
Assuming a RHBH throw, you can think of OAT that causes a disc to be more understable as a force pushing the left side of the disc upward and OAT that causes the disc to be more overstable as a force pushing the left side of the disc downward. If you're asking why some discs mask it better than others you might have the wrong guy. I'm an electronics guy, not an aerospace guy. I just know that faster and more overstable discs tend to mask it better.

I read the OAT thread and the way you describe it, it sounds like a sort of "wobbling" happens in the air--if the axis of rotation is not perpendicular to the flight plate, the disc wobbles. Am I right so far?
Mostly. The wobble isn't necessary. As you noticed below, it tends to show up in slower discs more than faster discs.

I've only ever had a disc noticeably wobble a few times, and it was when I did a hyzer flip with my putter (which I find strange, because it's supposed to be pretty overstable for a putter...Challenger FLX-2/3/0/2). I'm not sure how this wobbliness translates into flight patterns exactly though.
I'm pretty certain it's OAT that is causing the disc to act more understable. The most common causes are a grip problem, wrist roll over or finising on a plane lower than the angle of the disc (i.e. throwing hyzer and finishing flat). The Challenger, while overstable for a putter, is still a putter and is very responsive to OAT.

Gotcha. So holding off on getting more specialty drivers will help me improve my form with slower discs that are more telling about mistakes. So when should I invest in these?
The best advice I've heard is to only use specailty discs when you're choosing to do it rather than if you're using that disc because you have to. In other words, when you're happy with your skills and aren't planning on improving any more. When that point comes is more a function of your personal goals than anything else. Many people never get to where they want or need specailty discs. There are recent cases of top level pros doing well at tournaments with a small handfull of discs. IIRC, there have been guys that have won Worlds with 3 discs.

When I can toss a fairway driver 400'? That sounds pretty intense. Is that 400' on flat ground with no wind?
Yep, 400'+ on flat ground (that Dan Beato guy from the training video I link to a lot throws Champion Teebirds 460', which is nuts). A vast majority of people (>90% of disc golfers) will never throw that far. I've hit 350' with a putter once and >400' with a Teebird once or twice, but not consistantly. It's more like 350' with fairway drivers for most pepole who really work at improving. It's a good goal to start off with, but most people eventually give it up to learn more important things that will have a larger impact on their score.

Also, in your parentheses there, you separated distance driver and fast/overstable driver. Can't they generably be the same disc? Or do you support the idea of having an overstable+stable+understable set for drivers once you can control them? And is the reason you said a fast, overstable disc because overstables are better at dealing with headwinds?
What I was referring to was what's called the "Moderately overstable driver" in this article:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discoverlap.shtml

The idea of that role is that it's stable enough to throw into a moderate headwind and be fast enough to penetrate well to get maximum distance. They're also good for long hyzers and big flex shots. The reason a fast disc is recommended is for penetration into the wind. There are slower discs that hold their line well into the wind, but you won't get the same distance out of them like you would from something faster. They most certainly can double as a distance driver for a very high power player or someone who likes to throw distance anhyzers. I can elaborate more on these types of discs if you want.

Yeah, from what I've read a lot of people like to do this. Sounds similar to the Roc deal. So, is there any reason you'd recommend the Gazelle specifically, or would any reasonably overstable disc do?
I recommended the DX Gazelle, and D Cyclone because they are two of the easiest to control, workable drivers out there. They fight to fade back if turned over but controlling the turn isn't difficult. They can also be forced into a turn without just crashing. There are plenty of other discs out there that would work, these just happen to be the two easiest with which to learn that can also be used by higher power players. The Eagle-X is probably the other other disc out there that's potentially more versatile, but it's just that much faster and harder to control until you improve your technique. As you improve there are a ton of other discs in other plastics that will also work for this spot, but they aren't optimal for learning.

Would you say you generally advocate going with two molds rather than 3 for a given distance bracket?
I advocate exactly what's in that overlap article. IMO, there's no need for more than one putter or mid mold once you have the option of using beat discs, but for newer players that can be difficult to deal with, especally when you're wanting straight shots but only carrying discs that start off overstable for you.

Would you advise against getting something really overstable to start with like a Whippet or a Viper? See, I have this inclination to go with extremes to cover my bases (I guess that's a common newbie thing)...I feel like I should get one really overstable, one stable, and one really understable, because I want to avoid overlapping like I mentioned.
Actually, no. I think carrying one of those discs is an excellent idea. Just don't expect it to do anything but hyzer. I think you'll find that hyzers tend to be the most consisant shots so if you have that option you should take it. Plus you can get away with shorter forehand shots with crappy technique and get some cool skip shots out of them, too.

What would you say mids are good for and which ones should I look at? You've been very thorough about fairway drivers but I'd like to know about these too. Should I just go with the Roc like everyone else and see how it flies for me? Like I mentioned before I'm also really interested in the Stingray (like I said, attracted to extremes). The Comet looks cool too, so those are the three I'm looking at right now.
If I were doing it all over again I'd pick up a new Roc and a Comet. If you keep at it you'll be able to cover everything with several Rocs in various stages of wear, but that can take a while to get to. The Comet should be plenty understable but still hold a straight line for you. It will be easier to use off the bat than the Roc.

As for putters, I'm still not sure how I feel about my Challenger. I'm looking at the XD, the Rhyno, and the Rattler for possible purchases to compare to.
I'd choose the Challenger over any of those other disc in a heartbeat. The XD isn't too bad, but the Rhyno is too overstable and has horrible carry and the Rattler is too understable, has too much carry and is aweful in the wind (but is good for playing catch, which is a good idea if you haven't done that much). What aren't you sure about with the Challenger?

A leopard is a great fairway drver but its not a mid-range as Im sure u've heard 101 times by now (sorry I didnt read but the first page) The Sting-ray in my opinon wouldnt be a good choice. If u have a tendency to throw anhyzer (as suggested by the overturning the shark) the stingray will quickly roll. Personally, I would go with a Buzzz. It has great glide and can hold any line.

Your driver chioces seem solid to me, so I would say stick with em for a while

I putt with a Ryhno so naturally I suggest that putter but If I didnt use a Ryhno I would use an XD. I just found one the other day and it seems to be great. in fact Ive never missed a putt with it (1/1)

Enjoy the ride, its a good one

If you're asking why some discs mask it better than others you might have the wrong guy. I'm an electronics guy, not an aerospace guy. I just know that faster and more overstable discs tend to mask it better.
That's a shame--the science in it sounds very interesting...perhaps I will research this further.
As you improve there are a ton of other discs in other plastics that will also work for this spot, but they aren't optimal for learning.
I'm curious what you think a logical progression would be once I get good with a good "workable" fairway driver. What should I go for next after that? Once I get confidant enough to carry a whole bag, I probably won't want more than 7 molds altogether, but I'm sure I will drop and add a bit.

What aren't you sure about with the Challenger?
I just have a lot of trouble controlling it. It turns over into a roller sometimes, though I've only tried to drive it a few times. I'll stick with it some more before I dismiss it. I do really like using it for short spike hyzers to get onto the green though.

I see what you mean about those people who ask for advice and then just argue, I was reading some posts on DGR. That must be really frustrating... =P

I'm curious what you think a logical progression would be once I get good with a good "workable" fairway driver. What should I go for next after that? Once I get confidant enough to carry a whole bag, I probably won't want more than 7 molds altogether, but I'm sure I will drop and add a bit.
Once you get to that point checking out faster distance drivers and moderately overstable drivers will probably be what you'll want next. Most of it will be obvious by then, anyway. Also, trying out the Teebird is a good idea. It will overlap with your fairway driver, but because it's such a good, straight driver, many find it's worth keeping anyway.

I just have a lot of trouble controlling it. It turns over into a roller sometimes, though I've only tried to drive it a few times.
Unfortunately another putter won't fix that. The best idea will be to work with it until it does work.

I'll keep with it then for now...but I'll probably try out the XD just for kicks. It looks interesting, says it's the most "driver-like putter". If I don't like it, I can always trade it or sell it off.

Completely different question: What kind of disc is best for getting distance on thumbers and tomahawks? Weight/stability/etc.

Couple more questions, just for curiosity's sake. Out of the Viper and the Whippet, which do you think is better and why? Same for the Hawk and the Cobra. Also for the Beast and the Valkyrie. (basically three sets of analogous looking discs).

Wow, it's given me a headache just to go through this thread. You know what you should really do--find a disc golf shop that lets you try out their discs. There is an awesome shop in Austin, (sorry, you don't have a locale posted, or I'd have looked you up a shop) that has every possible disc, and they have a range out back. I day there is worth days on the internet researching. I mean, I learned to disc golf with an Epic, and if you can learn with that - you can learn with anything.

Bottom line is that a lot of the discs make claims and have numbers attached to them, but everything I believe is really dependant on your feel for the disc. In my start I heard nothing but amazing things about the Valkerie, and I knew people who loved them - the stats looked good and on paper it should fit - but I throw them like crap. So, I look at the numbers, stability ratings, and reviews, but in the end once I focused on what felt natural and good - everything got better.

Like I say - make a pilmigrage to a disc golf shop - with all the knowledge you've gained from this thread alone - you'll have all the tools you'll ned to try out the discs you think you like, and even probably some you never considered.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Completely different question: What kind of disc is best for getting distance on thumbers and tomahawks? Weight/stability/etc.
Unfortunately, again, I'm not really the person to ask. My rotator cuff doesn't agree with hard overhand shots so I avoid them. People seem to like faster, overstable drivers, but I'd fish around in some of the tomahawk/thumber threads.

Couple more questions, just for curiosity's sake. Out of the Viper and the Whippet, which do you think is better and why? Same for the Hawk and the Cobra. Also for the Beast and the Valkyrie. (basically three sets of analogous looking discs).
I haven't actually thrown either the Viper or Whippet (I use the Blaze if I'm going to throw a disc like that), but I'd suspect that which one is better might be more a matter of preference. A lot of people don't carry a slower, very overstable driver and just power down on a faster, very overstable driver.

Same goes for the Hawk and Cobra. I don't really throw a disc like that as I think there are better options, but Nate Doss seems to do well with the Hawk.

As for the Beast and Valk, as long as we're talking about current production discs, Valk all the way. You may have had a debate going if we were talking about the old mold Beast, but the Valk is way better than the new mold Beast. The new Beast is squirrley when it comes to high speed turn and doesn't fade as predictably as the Valk.

Popular answer seems to be the firebird.

I prefer a 171 Z Predator from Discraft, I can get this out to 300' with a Thumber.

here's my two cents...

i've been playing for ~10 yrs (started @ 16) and for the 1st 5 years I only had one disc...a DX cheetah. i used to do everything with that disc - rollers, hyzers, anhyzers, approach & even putting. i found it very difficult to figure out how to throw new molds, and still do....it takes a lot of time to get a disc broken in and learn how it's going to do in each situation & wind type.

i'm firmly in the minimalist disc camp, especially for beginners. I carry a lot of molds now, but play my best when throwing with just a few discs....even at a semi-pro level.

you could get a disc with different flight patterns for any given situation, but it would be better for your game to figure out how to throw those shots with a neutral disc. you might just get a couple of discs and figure out how to throw different shots with them. i'd recommend just one driver, one midrange & one putter. all of the shot types that you've mentioned can be thrown with a middle of the pack, stable to slightly understable disc.

by getting too many discs you may spend more time learning to throw each disc than really learning to throw each shot.

good luck!

I remember when I started out. The discs I bought were far too heavy for me. I was throwing big hyzers with little distance. I would recommend discs in the 150-160 gm range until you really get your throwing form down. Then you can use heavier discs which are better in the wind with more distance. I'd stay away from discs that are overstable until you're comfortable with your throwing technique.

Also, Ive heard that throwing 175s when you first start is likely to mask flaws in technique, which is a bad thing since it allows bad habits to develop unnoticed.

I can vouch for that, I'm having to practice my Roc and Skeeter to better perfect my form.

One of my first discs was a star 175 TeeRex. Boy that was a mistake, I was throwing nothing but big hyzers. Now I can turn it over and control it. My how far once can come.