• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beginning Tips

Riptide572

Hey everyone,
I've been playing disc golf for probably around 5-6 years on a casual basis, ie. anywhere from a couple to a dozen times a year. This year I've gone full force into the world of disc golf. I play at least two full games a week and I work close to a park, so I play two to three holes on my lunch break. I would by no means consider myself a good player; however, my goal this summer is to get better. I would say I am around a 150-175ft driver and a mediocre putter. On an average hole I will usually be a bogey, occasionally par, and rarely birdie. By the end of summer, I'm hoping for a realistic goal of pars more often.
Unfortunately, I have found little in the way of informative information for the beginner (or lower intermediate player) on the internet.
I am posting to see if there is any tips from the community, websites, or other suggestions to improve my game. Is there any 'how-to' books or documents that are a must see to improve your game?
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thank you in advance for any help. :)

Technique section sticky would be a good place to start. The craigd sticky is excellent also. Just live in there for a while, amd you'll get so e good stuff.

You Tube, The Technique section and TIME ON THE COURSE has progressed my game in the 3 months I have been playing from averaging +16 per round, to averaging around +5 or +6. I have also added about 75-100' on my drives too. Watch the videos, read the threads, play with players better than you are, and adapt what you learn to what feels and works best for you. Good luck!!!!!

The best tip I can give is: Always Have Fun!!!

Then practice and gather advice from players better than me.

Find out if your local course has a league night or some other organized gathering, then attend. Don't worry about not being all the competitive. Just use it as an opportunity to connect with more experienced players who you can learn from.

Reading forums and websites and watching videos can only get you so far. Sometimes it takes seeing something done right in front of you for it to really click in your brain. And having someone who knows a lot about the game watch you play and be able to offer tips and advice tailored specifically to what you are already doing can be a huge difference maker.

Above all, keep playing and always have fun. Once it stops being fun and feels more like work is when it stops being a game.

The way to improve is to go out and play, not sitting around watching Youtube videos.

It's great to read and watch suggestions, but unless you have a disc in your hand, you can't apply those suggestions, automatically expecting your game to get better.

Get a max weight Z Buzz. Don't play until you can get about 225 feet out of the Buzz.

There is plenty of info on youtube. Feldberg is good at explaining what's going on and Nikko is good at keeping it simple.

When you want more disc I suggest the Sidewinder.

look up thediscgolfvids on youtube. the instructional videos helped me immensely. especially the backhand power grip vid.. now i just rip the **** out of everything.

Latest posts