• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Believe It or Not!

Doupie620

Banned
I play at the Crowley Bicentennial Course most of the time. When I first started playing, on the first hole I would average a 4.

One time, I made a birdie on this hole. After this, it got easier and easier to play this hole.

I attribute this partly to knowing the hole, but mostly to Knowing the Possibilities. I have never seen anyone Ace this hole, but I KNOW that I can Birdie this hole because I have BEFORE.

I guess my question/point is, no matter how LUCKY one is, if you Ace a hole, the chances of Aceing the hole increases because the psychological barrier breaks down.

It is NEVER you vs. another person...it is ALWAYS you vs. the hole...

Any comments?

If I can throw 10' past the basket, I can ace the hole, at least potentially. I don't think acing a hole would make you any more likely to do it again,

I definantely agree with this. It breaks the mental barrier and negative thoughts of not making the ace.

I play at the Crowley Bicentennial Course most of the time. When I first started playing, on the first hole I would average a 4.

One time, I made a birdie on this hole. After this, it got easier and easier to play this hole.

I attribute this partly to knowing the hole, but mostly to Knowing the Possibilities. I have never seen anyone Ace this hole, but I KNOW that I can Birdie this hole because I have BEFORE.

I guess my question/point is, no matter how LUCKY one is, if you Ace a hole, the chances of Aceing the hole increases because the psychological barrier breaks down.

It is NEVER you vs. another person...it is ALWAYS you vs. the hole...

Any comments?

Doupie, go for the ace!!! Don't just be happy with the bird lol. But seriously good job on the birdie. There's a few holes on my home course I've never birdied, but would be pumped if I did!

I had two holes left on my home course that I had never birdied,I got one of them a week ago or so on about a 75 foot jump putt,I got it again last night with a 90-100 foot toss in.

Took me a year to get it once,a week for the second.

One hole left :|.

I attribute this to the Four Minute Mile Theory...for a lot of years, no one could run a four minute mile. Then one guy does it, so within a year, 34 other people run a four minute mile.

My opinion to all the players out there is if you see someone make a sick shot, YOU can make that same shot potentially.

I think your right about seeing new possible lines and learning what an ace shot looks like on a hole. I have 2 aces on 2 different holes at my home course. I know what line my disc needs to take to get one. I know if I am going to have a chance at an ace on these holes as soon as the disc leaves my hand.

My opinion to all the players out there is if you see someone make a sick shot, YOU can make that same shot potentially.

That's really a good point. This was the thinking behind my 'What's your best shot' thread. Just hearing about the shots other people have mastered and utilize out on the course, inspires me to work on those same shots or maybe try them for the first time!

It helps you mentally, but I don't think you are any more likely to ace that hole.

I think someone added too much syrup to your pancakes.

Why do other people have to be better....why can't they be the EXAMPLE instead. How do you know this hole has been aced? Because someone did it before, therefore REMOVING the IMPOSSIBILITY of it ever happening...get it?

the way i see it is that before you ace it or even hit chains or metal, your scared of it because you havent gotten close enough to be confident, but once you get an ace, hit chains, or metal you knwo you have done it once, why not again. its like skydiving ...most people are more scared the first time then the times after that.

a hole like the one in the OP should get birdied a lot inspite of the distance or trees complicating the shot. The basket is set into the base of a hill so all second shots at the basket should be attempts to put it in, becuase even if you miss you should still be sitting right behind the basket.

a hole like the one in the OP should get birdied a lot inspite of the distance or trees complicating the shot. The basket is set into the base of a hill so all second shots at the basket should be attempts to put it in, becuase even if you miss you should still be sitting right behind the basket.
I was NEW...newbie, new new...also, I used this hole as the INITIAL example. The phenomenon...if you want to call it that, applies to any hole. Once you do good/ace a hole, the chances of repeating the feat increase dramatically due to psychological barriers being removed.

Would this be a Pavlovian situation?

Look at what's happened to me,
I can't believe it myself.
Suddenly I'm up on top of the world,
It should've been somebody else.

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.

It's like a light of a new day-,
It came from out of the blue.
Breaking me out of the spell I was in,
Making all of my wishes come true-.

Believe it or not,
I'm walking on air.
I never thought I could feel so free-.
Flying away on a wing and a prayer.
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it's just me.

It's possible.

I think it's also possible that it could make it HARDER to do well again.

Like, if I get a miracle birdie on a hole because I hit a fluke gap, trying to repeat that extremely low percentage shot could raise my score on average.

It's possible.

I think it's also possible that it could make it HARDER to do well again.

Like, if I get a miracle birdie on a hole because I hit a fluke gap, trying to repeat that extremely low percentage shot could raise my score on average.

Yeah,I aced a hole that no one should ever ace out of pure luck,and now I'm lucky to even get a birdie putt 1 out of 10 tries :| used to get way more looks.

Latest posts