• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best 9 hole course?

The town of Laporte, CO north of Ft. Collins has super tight wooded 9-hole pitch n putt course. Probably the most fun I have had playing a short course.

I just want to second this statement. Very short pitch and putt that you can go through in about 20 minutes - but it was surprisingly fun. Being behind a small junior high - I don't think there are ever people there, and it's just challenging enough to make you work and see how low you can shoot. You know - finish a round - think about the one or two bad shots that may have cost you a bird - go through and then do it again. Good stuff. In the summer - you can beat it for weather and atmosphere.

Funny, I started this thread several months ago and I never mentioned my favorite. My favorite 9 hole course is Los Olivos in Phoenix, AZ. On an old olive farm, olive trees line all of the fairways. Not much elevation at all. All holes have great signs, dual pin placements on all holes, cement teepads. Most of the holes require accurate tee shots. Several holes have small gaps that need to be hit just right. The olive trees will grab your disc and not let go. You can even see rocks stuck up in the trees from people trying to get their discs back. It is a multi-use park that is frequently used so you need to be careful. A mid and putter is all you need.

Beatty's Ford Park is my favorite so far. It's a fun little course. Super tight, with interesting lines to hit. Supposedly there is talk of 9 more holes, so even more fun.

Beatty's Ford Park is my favorite so far. It's a fun little course. Super tight, with interesting lines to hit. Supposedly there is talk of 9 more holes, so even more fun.

Just looked at the pictures for that one and that definately looks like a good one. Would love to play that one. If it is a well designed 9 hole course, then you can play it again and again and not get bored with it.

My favorite 9 holer? I would have to say North Cabarrus Park in Concord, NC. In fact it has one of the hardest holes I have ever played. (Hole #4) Tight tunnel shot with thick bamboo at the entrance of the tunnel. No way for any tommys/thumbers to get through and it is an S-shot all the way through the tunnel for 280 feet. I have never birdied this par-3 hole. An ace seems d*mn-near impossible.

PA has some fun wooded Tech 9s in Unami, Eurana, White Tail, and River's Edge to name a few. Dirty Jersey has a fun open course in Riverview that brings water into play. I view niners differently than 18 or 27 to me a niner should be pleasurable and does not have to be difficult or stressful to be good. There should be plenty of unique holes with plenty of fun sprinkled in. I don t need monster epic par 4-5s to have a good time. It might be better to identify what creates a poor nine.....there are plenty of these out there. I have yet to find the nuevo perfecto so my niner ratings have topped out at 3 discs.

Whitetail woods was going to be my choice. It's not my favorite, but it's definitely the most technical and challenging 9 that I've ever played.

Looks like I'm going to have to hit Signal View since it's spoken of so well on here. Plus there's a new 18 in Martinsburg, WV. Poor House, that I'll hit on the same trip. And there are two newer 9 hole courses near Altoona, PA that I want to play, Canoe Creek and Prince Galitzin.

i only know where the best 9 hole isnt

Totally biased, since my brother designed it, but Superior Nebraska has a good 9-holer:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1495

Rated 4 stars by a Gold Level Trusted Reviewer. Talking true par (check the blue tees on the scorecard), it has 3 par 3's, 4 par 4's, and 2 par 5's. It lacks elevation and concrete pads, but the GOLF is excellent.

(I think in another thread about longest 9-holers, this might have been the longest.)

Having played Mint Hill in Charlotte a lot, I can tell you that Mint Hill isn't even CLOSE to the caliber of the Superior course.

I designed a championship 9 hole course in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley(about an hour west of the DC suburbs), and has gotten some great reviews.

Please, who ever can play it, do so, and get back with me.
If you like it, please email Pam Sheets (Director of Parks & Recreation) and tell her how much you like the design. [email protected]

Thanks,

Scott

Off the top of my head this may be the best 9 in VA IMO, not that bluemont is anything but great I just think it's so pretty out at signal view and it's a great design. I think it could fit 9.

I also want to put in props for Unami and then white tails as well, PA has some good courses.

I've been wanting to do a personal top 25 of 9 hole DGc's and here is my list.

Mills Park, Gatlinburg, Tn.
Steelhead DGC @ Creekside, Willow Creek, Ca.
Grubaugh Park, Ozark, Mo. (10 holes)
Redbone road DGC, Vicksburg, Ms.
Rooster Rock-East, Corbett, Or.
Anchorage Service High School, Anchorage, Ak.
Cornwell Park, Bellingham, Wa.
Minerva DGc, Minerva, Oh.
Lime- Kiln Park, Grafton, Wi.
Fritz Park, Irving, Tx.
Burnet Woods (univ of Cincinnati) Oh. (8 holes)
Beth Schmidt Park DGc, Elon,N.C.
Tank Park, Malvern, Oh. -------within 5 miles of the Minerva DGC------
Sycamore Creek Church, Pickerington, Oh.
Rooster Rock-West, Corbett, Or.-------- East is better than West at these Oregon DGc'sWenatchee
Orchard Park, Hillsboro, Or.
Oakwood Lakes State Park DGC, Bruce, S.D.
Blue Heron Park, Moses Lake, Wa.
Picnic Hill Park, Two Rivers, Wi.
Little Mountain DGC-Q.E. Park, Vancouver, British Columbia
Westchester Lagoon Park, Anchorage, Ak.
Polliwog Park DGc, Manhattan Beach, Ca.
Univ. of N.Colorado, Greenly, Co.
Sipolt Memorial DGC, Macomb, Il.
Riverside DGC, Vinton, Ia.

You are missing the two awesome 9 holers in San Jose, CA. Hellyer and La Raza are challenging, contrasting courses located only .5 miles away from each other

If Cornwall is on your list, you just plain need to play more courses! :D La Raza and Hellyer though would certainly be on my list along with Bluemont in VA which was already mentioned.

I really like Bluemont in Arlington, VA. It's got 3 pads for every hole, which dramatically change the look and difficulty of the holes. The 1st hole has an amazing tree guarding the basket as well, it's just an amazing looking hole. On top of the 3 pads, there are four basket locations for every hole, so it changes up often enough that it doesn't get boring. If I remember correctly, I hear they're putting in permanent blue baskets in the long positions on every hole, with 3 of them already there.

Red Tee Video

college of the redwoods in eureka or parque de la raza in/near san jose

bluemont park in arlington va is the best 9 hole course i have ever seen/played. multiple tee and pin positions allow for a varied playing experience and the tiny piece of land it's on has a little bit of everything- woods, elevation, water, etc. it also has the best course pro i know of- timber.

+1

I played Hellyer right after it first went in, it might have only been 7 holes then, it was pretty nice and a very creative use of space.

Latest posts