• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best basket design and issues

Along those lines, if I could figure out how to do it, the perfect soft nubs would lay back when a disc came straight into them sort of like the one way spikes on a parking lot and would stay more rigid when glanced from the side to prevent/reduce any skeeball action.

It's a philosophical issue. It would seem that near misses that hit the target nearer to being good should be penalized less than misses that are more off target. I think nubs do a better job than no nubs meeting that philosophical goal.

Being near to good, isn't actually good. ;)

No. But it should be like getting a B grade rather than potentially a D grade if you just miss an A.

I think nubs probably cause more rollaways, but also in effect cause more tap ins. without nubs, you'll still maintain the spin off of the basket.

my hypothesis

I think I've been stopped by nubs more than I've been saved. Eff nubs.

Without being coarse, this is my sentiment.
I'd like to practice with a nubless basket before I make up my mind either way.

Any of the top level baskets are perfectly fine with me, titans and spiderwebs are at the top of my list with the major manufacturers' offerings close behind. I disagree with the seeming majority that doesn't like the yellow band on discatchers, the extra visibility in the woods is a big plus for me when playing a course the first time.

Being near to good, isn't actually good. ;)

No. But it should be like getting a B grade rather than potentially a D grade if you just miss an A.

A good throw should go in. A not good throw should be a miss. There's no in between. IMHO.

That being said, I can deal with nubs or no nubs. The main reason I like that Vortex basket is the inner chains. There's not much chance of a disc spitting out through them. It's way more frustrating to me to hit the chains dead center and have it blow through the chains then any kind of shot involving the nubs. If you're hitting the nubs then your throw is off anyhow. Again IMHO.

Last edited:
i honestly have almost 0 spit outs, not because "i'm that good" or anything but because i don't put very hard. if i miss, i miss low or wide, but the putts that hit just sit. the only thing i dislike on baskets is the chastity belt on Innova Discatchers.

I can't remember who on here said it but someone said that "baskets are supposed to receive the putt" not stop it dead. you can't just chuck it at the basket and blame it for not sticking. that's like taking a slapshot at a teammate in hockey and blaming him for not catching the pass

I disagree with the seeming majority that doesn't like the yellow band on discatchers, the extra visibility in the woods is a big plus for me when playing a course the first time.
^ this. Maybe I'm nuts, but I like to see where I'm throwing. OK, you got me; scratch "maybe."

What I'd really like are Mach III's with a bright yellow # plate on top.
Kinda makes you wonder why DGA doesn't offer them (at least I've never seen them anywhere).
IMHO, that would seem to be a winning combo.

My biggest beef is shallow baskets and single /lightweight chains. If my disc hits the pan, I expect it to stay down. When I hit solid chains, I expect it to drop in the overwhelming majority of the time. Mach III and Chainstars seem to have the best stopping power, but I don't pay too much attention unless something really sucks.

I have to admit I was a little surprised the Vortex web didn't cause more controversy. Nubs or not is interesting. If there are no nubs and you rim out it was a bad putt though.

Good putts go in, bad putts don't. Where the grey area occurs is on those putts that hit center of the chains and don't stay in for whatever reason. Basically it was a good putt that got treated harshly because of a design flaw. I see the Vortex as potentially fixing this grey area. A mediocre putt can still spit out the side if you hit side chains, there's no discrepancy there but I hope that it clears up the center chain misses. On the topic of the chastity belts on Innova baskets, its not so much that I hate them. I just hate that hue of yellow. If they were Carolina Blue like the ones at Richmond Hill or Red or White, I'd like them so much more. That's my two cents.

Like I said earlier, kingpin. My favorite as far as catching goes, and visibility for days.

3934545b.jpg

In a perfect world baskets would catch everything that hit from the center of the basket out to half a disc worth of chains on the weak side and a full disc worth of chains on the strong side. This is generally the sweet spot on baskets. The problem now is some putts that hit in this range either cut through or hit the pole and bounce back.

I strongly disagree with anyone that says these are bad putts that were thrown too hard. Watch the top players putt, the majority of them putt "too hard" and live with the spit-outs. Its because they know at the end of the day the spits won't out number the putts they would miss if they tried to float everything into the basket.

I believe when Steady Ed envisioned disc golf he saw frisbees flying through a target and being caught rather than landing in a basket. If everyone putted soft it would take a level of excitement away from the game, much more laying up and a lot less going for it. Missing and flying past the target or hitting the cage and rolling away should be the risk of throwing a hard putt, not dated basket designs that may or may not catch.

As far as nubs go, in my experience they catch bad putts and reject good putts, seems like a design flaw to me. On the other hand I just haven't played on enough baskets that don't have them to confidently say they need to go.

My favorite basket is the Discatcher, I feel they do the best job of catching putts that hit in the sweet spot. I'm also very excited about the new vortex baskets, I really like what of seen of them so far, can't wait to actually play on one.

My least favorite of the modern full chain baskets is the spider webs, I play on them regularly and I have found that the worst place to hit one is dead center. The ring from the inner most chains hangs right in the middle of the basket and spits out putts that hit it directly.

I've gotta give it up for the DISCatcher Pro. I personally love the yellow bands on top, for both visibility and stopping power if I miss high. Yeah, it also deflects further sometimes, but the way I putt that generally doesn't happen.

Anyway, what the thread is actually about, the chain configuration on the DISCatcher creates less gaps in the higher areas for discs to slip through. The Mach Series baskets create a larger gap higher up because the inner chain set hangs straight down.

I've gotta give it up for the DISCatcher Pro. I personally love the yellow bands on top, for both visibility and stopping power if I miss high. Yeah, it also deflects further sometimes, but the way I putt that generally doesn't happen.

Anyway, what the thread is actually about, the chain configuration on the DISCatcher creates less gaps in the higher areas for discs to slip through. The Mach Series baskets create a larger gap higher up because the inner chain set hangs straight down.

I've found the opposite to be true, if your putt is on line but high it will generally drop straight down. Other baskets like kingpins and chainstars basically have a ramp where the Innova band is. I like my chances with the disc hitting a flat band versus an angled "ramp".

Just checked out Disc King's site and - Kingpins seem like the bomb.

Never even seen them on a course though... can't imagine you'd ever forget a basket painted like that!

What about some sort of rubber coating on the chains? Like Rhyno Lining or some sort of tough grippy rubber? Anybody else think this could increase catching potential?

/threadjack

Latest posts