• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Design course, no credit

Well every Tom, Harry and Dick need to know the good news!!!

Let's see: years playing: 1.9; courses played: 3. Mkay.

Can't WAIT to check out the course. Bet it's going to be a doozy.

Honestly what does your comment do for this thread? Nothing. Except being an ******* for no reason. Instead of being an *******, go play some new courses.

Let's see: years playing: 1.9; courses played: 3. Mkay.

Can't WAIT to check out the course. Bet it's going to be a doozy.

I first started "playing" 10 years ago. I don't really count it because I wasn't playing regularly. There are a lot more courses the I have played but a lot of them are not listed here. This course will be a doozy... for our area.

In my mind, the idea behind getting my name on the sign was to make it accessable to potential people in the area who might have connections with another town. There are no courses in a hour radius drive so there is a great need for more courses. I figured that it would make it easy for people to know who to contact and could potentially help everyone out. For most disc golfers, it would be easy to go online and figure out who made a course. For people in my area who don't disc golf, they would have no idea who to contact or where to look up a course designer. Towns don't want disc golf because they want to play. They want disc golf because it makes it seem like they are doing good things for the town. Then they can get re-elected. Having course designer names on the sign does have benefits in growing the sport. That was my main gripe. People not knowing who to contact. Some of you get it. Some of you think I need my name on the sign for my ego. You would be wrong.
From my experience having cold-called dozens of parks with courses (city and otherwise) regarding logistics for course maintenance: the people who run the parks are usually very eager to get inquirers to the "disc golf person" and not have to deal with them. The parks administrators will remember your name, and when these people call the parks to do their own due diligence - they'll give them your name and contact info (assuming you leave it with them). Especially if you're someone who is regularly involved in projects such as clean ups, leagues, or future upgrades.

I could see this as sarcasm, but your history says otherwise. You are choosing to be a dick.

My history? I'm all ears. Would you entertain us with your shallow interpretation of my history?

So I just got done another town meeting and I got to say, I am a little bummed out. I designed and am going to help install a 9 hole course here in rural ontario for a local town.

Durham, Ontario...as in "Frontier Town", Durham?

This can definitely be taken different ways and mostly depends on reasoning behind wanting your name there. I.E. I design, raise funds, install, and donate the work and time to get courses installed in underserved areas. I do not seek pay or a pat on the back, but I do want the recognition only for the purpose of being contacted by other areas to come do the same for them. The first thing City Councils and Tourism departments ask me is what courses have you designed previously and ask for proof. And they are usually woefully uneducated in the actual costs to install a course (usually thinking hundreds of thousands of dollars initially before being educated). So basically I am looking for word of mouth. If I was running a business and my reputation on course design mattered in getting new contracts (like John Houck or HB Clark) then I'd certainly want my name on my courses as well. And ultimately I think it is ok to be proud of your accomplishment and want some recognition for it. (I mean how many buildings have you seen that have the donors who made it happen names on a plaque, I'm guessing multiples). But, at the end of the day, not having my name on it isn't a deal breaker or something I get upset about either. I just enjoy getting that phone call or e-mail that someone saw the course or heard about it and would like to have a discussion about bringing a course to their community.

Latest posts