• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Cheap basket

I bought an Innova Discatcher Sport in April 2011, it has been in the yard for the last 5 years and still plays well. Few little rust spots, nothing major.

Mod question!

This is my modified version of the hive/ebay 24 chain basket -- both poles lengthened 3", plastic conduit added to outside of poles, inner chains set so they are always centered between outer chains, etc. Specs are now equivalent to Discatcher basket and catches incredibly well, and is much quieter as well. The conduit muffles the clanging noise and helps prevent pole bounce outs.

How did you lengthen the sections by 3 inches? Just got one and I'm hoping to make it to the correct specs. I tried sending you a private message too. But I'm not sure if it went through. I just joined so I don't know what I'm doing. Haha. Thank you!

I bought one of those last Christmas, but it didn't have the Sport top. Wonder what else they changed up. It definitely needed more chains. I moved all of them into the center, bullseye style, it catches well if you hit the pole like that.

I'd second Mach 2 if you want to leave it outside.

Another you can leave outside I believe is the innova super sport.

Sounds like you got the one that is a knock off of a DGA lightweight all metal practice model.

Titan Sports makes two models.

Last edited:
The Black Hole Pro Transit bag is a game changer. Before, having a 'portable' metal basket meant juggling several pieces, in addition to your bag, to the practice field/woods/wherever. With the combo (or just the bag, if you have a basket that will fit) and you have metal quality catching at canvas-level portability.

The Black Hole Pro Transit bag is a game changer. Before, having a 'portable' metal basket meant juggling several pieces, in addition to your bag, to the practice field/woods/wherever. With the combo (or just the bag, if you have a basket that will fit) and you have metal quality catching at canvas-level portability.

How much is the bag? if more then $100 USA I am not sold on having one for a metal basket.

Not sure why I'd buy a black hole when I could have an Axiom any color I want for the same price.

Anybody got a good reason? Likely will buy in a couple weeks. It's going to take me some time to decide. #handwringing

Baskets would be for a small home course. Left outside forever. Thoughts?

Home course? Nice!

Not sure why I'd buy a black hole when I could have an Axiom any color I want for the same price.

Anybody got a good reason? Likely will buy in a couple weeks. It's going to take me some time to decide. #handwringing

Axiom come in Higher visibility colors, exactly the same basket as Black hole which only

comes in black. No brainer, go with bright color for hi vis! Congrats on home course, I'm

envious. Post pics once course is in. :thmbup:

Axiom come in Higher visibility colors, exactly the same basket as Black hole which only

comes in black. No brainer, go with bright color for hi vis! Congrats on home course, I'm

envious. Post pics once course is in. :thmbup:

Haha thanks, the wife has started getting pissed I'm off playing all the time. I figure I can have my cake and eat it too.

I know I appreciated the black band on the Portals because they kind of blend into the yard better than a bright color. If I were putting in a private course, I'd go black so the bands wouldn't stand out in the woods when I'm not throwing.

I've had a Costco basket (pacific outdoors) in the yard for 2.( years now. No rust, only some fading of the color. Catches well enough for practice and I don't have to worry about it. Actually kinda good for practice because you almost have to hit low and just a touch right when putting hard. Helps dial in that sweet spot

I know I appreciated the black band on the Portals because they kind of blend into the yard better than a bright color. If I were putting in a private course, I'd go black so the bands wouldn't stand out in the woods when I'm not throwing.

That's why they make more than one kind of ice cream too... something for everyone! I like bright and the area is pretty dark as it's densely wooded.

I won my discatcher sport at the 2002 North Carolina flying disc championship. It's been in the yard for 16 years. It is still in fine working order.

Anybody got a good reason?
Likely will buy in a couple weeks. It's going to take me some time to decide. #handwringing

Well, I totally regret buying my Mach Lite in red.

Figured I would get it for high visibility through sundown but it's an eye sore regardless of what time it is. Every single time I use it I wish I had gotten a different color. The basket itself is nice, I added extra chains and modified the outer set to be more narrow (smaller target for better practice purposes)...but it's still bright red. Seven years and still running strong so can't justify replacing it yet. YMMV

Mach-Lite-Box.png

I put in black hole pro hd baskets on my home course last year. Couldn't be happier with them, they catch awesome and have no noticeable rust after spending a winter outside in the northeast (the chains on one are starting to lose some of its "stainless" look, but that's it). The extra chains on the "HD" versions make them catch just like a discatcher, the only thing I ever notice with the smaller/slanted cage is they let putts bounce out after they are caught, but this has only happened maybe 3-5 times total over the hundred plus rounds I've played this past year.

Well, I totally regret buying my Mach Lite in red.

Figured I would get it for high visibility through sundown but it's an eye sore regardless of what time it is. Every single time I use it I wish I had gotten a different color. The basket itself is nice, I added extra chains and modified the outer set to be more narrow (smaller target for better practice purposes)...but it's still bright red. Seven years and still running strong so can't justify replacing it yet. YMMV

Mach-Lite-Box.png

I'm back and forth with color. I would not want black baskets though. Most of these would be way back in the woods, which are pretty dense firs. Pink and yellow might look a bit garish but I really like the colors for the most part.

Colors...

I'm back and forth with color. I would not want black baskets though. Most of these would be way back in the woods, which are pretty dense firs. Pink and yellow might look a bit garish but I really like the colors for the most part.

I am actually surprised at folks liking the black colorway for a basket. To each their own :)

I play only in Vermont woods, and they can be rough for visibility of baskets. White is a no-no

for winter around here. I agree in the bright colorway for better hi-vis baskets in VT. I was

looking for a bright hunter orange basket, but actually quite like the bubblegum pink axiom

baskets. Just get the color/s that best suit your needs. Good luck on your home course! :thmbup:

I am actually surprised at folks liking the black colorway for a basket. To each their own :)

I play only in Vermont woods, and they can be rough for visibility of baskets. White is a no-no

for winter around here. I agree in the bright colorway for better hi-vis baskets in VT. I was

looking for a bright hunter orange basket, but actually quite like the bubblegum pink axiom

baskets. Just get the color/s that best suit your needs. Good luck on your home course! :thmbup:

Woods of VT? Where? We play at Magic several times a week.

I would go with the Axiom version as it is the same basket. However the basket would be the macaroni color or the orange as they stand out the best without being odd color like the light green one or the pink one or other colors like the blue that would blend in with sky on some courses during right conditioned days be hard to find. Same reason I would not get the white, winter can have whiteout conditions.

Latest posts