• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best cold weather sports gloves for disc golfing in the cold months?

Thank you guys for some of the great suggestions. I'm definitely going to look into a couple of these.

The best one I have are Gorilla Grip Grease Monkeys.

Not a sports glove, but way more effective to give you grip and warmth but not gridlock.

I wear one of those "around the waist" hand warmers that the quarterbacks wear.Sometimes, that's enough just by itself. When it gets really cold out, I put a hand warmer inside, and its crazy warm in there. No gloves necessary.

double down on this, and this included the -17 air temp and -31 windchill day last January

I wear one of those "around the waist" hand warmers that the quarterbacks wear.Sometimes, that's enough just by itself. When it gets really cold out, I put a hand warmer inside, and its crazy warm in there. No gloves necessary.

I do the same, but probably with a different team's logo. :p

I still keep gloves in the bag, but usually don't use them.

double down on this, and this included the -17 air temp and -31 windchill day last January

Yeah, last winter was as brutally cold as I can remember, but we still played every Sunday morning and I never wore gloves.

I would not recommend throwing with gloves on, although I have seen a couple of folks that can do this. I disc golfed in Minnesota and Iowa for 10 years playing in super cold and super snowy conditions. I also had circulation problems. Get big mittens with room inside also known as "Choppers" and put warmers in there. Once there is snow, bring along a small towel to dry your hand off before you put it back in the mitten. I think the quarterback sleeve could be better since you won't have to worry about dropping the mitten the ground or losing it. You could keep a towel in there as well.

Avoid playing with warm discs in the snow as warm discs will melt the snow and get wet. It is nearly impossible to remove that last bit of snow from the rim. Cold discs are less likely to pick up snow. Keep your discs in the trunk of your car (no heat) and set the bag outside as soon as you get to the park, so they can chill down.

More advice: while waiting for your turn to throw or putt, put your hand warmer on the cold disc right where your hand will be. This warms up that spot and sort of dries it off.

Better yet, I have found the cure for my cold hands: moving to Southern California. Works wonders and you never have to wear gloves, boots or shovel tee pads.;)

I would not recommend throwing with gloves on, although I have seen a couple of folks that can do this. I disc golfed in Minnesota and Iowa for 10 years playing in super cold and super snowy conditions. I also had circulation problems. Get big mittens with room inside also known as "Choppers" and put warmers in there. Once there is snow, bring along a small towel to dry your hand off before you put it back in the mitten. I think the quarterback sleeve could be better since you won't have to worry about dropping the mitten the ground or losing it. You could keep a towel in there as well.

Avoid playing with warm discs in the snow as warm discs will melt the snow and get wet. It is nearly impossible to remove that last bit of snow from the rim. Cold discs are less likely to pick up snow. Keep your discs in the trunk of your car (no heat) and set the bag outside as soon as you get to the park, so they can chill down.

More advice: while waiting for your turn to throw or putt, put your hand warmer on the cold disc right where your hand will be. This warms up that spot and sort of dries it off.

Better yet, I have found the cure for my cold hands: moving to Southern California. Works wonders and you never have to wear gloves, boots or shovel tee pads.;)

I hate you so much right now. :p My aunt and uncle used to live in southern CA, and it was pretty amazing. Their house was 3 or 4 blocks from the beach, and I don't think they had heating or air conditioning. Simply because they didn't need it. The temps never got too cold, and the sea breeze kept their place cool enough during the summer.

:hfive:

Mine has a pocket in it just for hand warmers, i get made fun of a lot, but the same people who make fun ask me where i got it. It is awesome in extremely cold weather.

Choppers and handwarmers work great, i've also found that if i do some light jogging it gets the blood flowing and warms me up. If i've got my head on straight I do it before the round, otherwise i'm at least 5 holes in before the brisk walking warms me up...including my hands, i've had it where i don't need gloves/handwarmer and just use pockets in between throws because of the warm up and proper warm layers. Might bust out the ski goggles this year so i can see on windy/snowy days. :\

I carry a mitten to wear when I'm not throwing, but have no intention of throwing with gloves on. That just seems kind of weird to me.

I carry a mitten to wear when I'm not throwing, but have no intention of throwing with gloves on. That just seems kind of weird to me.

I have seen 2 guys that threw with gloves on. One was all the time, some batting gloves, never understood it he played rec. He plays Int now and doesn't have gloves. The other i have no idea why and didn't bother to ask but he struggled. It wasn't the gloves.

make sure your gloves don't directly assist in making your throws:
801.03 Artificial Devices said:
A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape, bandages, or gauze) and medical items (such as knee or ankle braces). Placing an object as a directional aid is not allowed. An item such as a towel or a pad may be placed on the lie as long as it is not greater than one centimeter in thickness when compressed.
i wore gloves in a tourney last winter and was asked to remove them because they had the little grippys on them.

i wore gloves in a tourney last winter and was asked to remove them because they had the little grippys on them.

What was the argument? The grips were making your fingers a little longer? Seems pretty weak.

I have seen 2 guys that threw with gloves on. One was all the time, some batting gloves, never understood it he played rec. He plays Int now and doesn't have gloves. The other i have no idea why and didn't bother to ask but he struggled. It wasn't the gloves.

I first saw gloves in use by a Rec player in Peru, IN - wonder if it was he same guy. He said he started wearing the batting gloves in the winter, but liked them and kept it up.

I played a couple of winters in northern Indiana with no glove on while throwing, but often with ski gloves on between throws. I found it a bit painful to take it on and off, and still wasn't universally enough to keep my hand fully functioning. Keeping the core warm (e.g. more clothes or moving faster) definitely helps, but I don't particularly want to be sweating in my winter clothes, so it's difficult to get the balance right.

In colder weather I've often found that when my hands start to get numb my grip just gets weird. Not that the disc slips out exactly, but that the disc feels strange in my hand, and my hand position ends up evolving in strange, often negative, ways because of it.

Last year a few times I did throw with a batting glove on my disc hand. On some days it was enough to keep my hand warm, and maybe helped a bit with a snow-wet disc, as well. I only tried it for a few rounds, not enough data to draw a firm conclusion perhaps. But, it seemed to have some positive aspects. On really cold days the batting glove itself wasn't enough, and it was again awkward how to handle the situation. Trying to cram it into a ski glove _with_ the batting glove was awkward at best. Taking the batting glove off after every throw seems way too cumbersome. Maybe I could buy an oversize glove or something.

I cringe at adding disposables (e.g. hand warmers of some sort) to my game. But, I don't have a perfect solution for the cold.

Interesting to hear that Ultimate players are wearing gloves now.

Whoever asked you to remove them was on a power trip and dead wrong.

The rule specifically exempts gloves from being an illegal artificial device. In specifying that gloves are legal, it doesn't say that only certain types of gloves are allowable. It simply says gloves. That means all types of gloves are allowable, doesn't matter if they have grippies or not.

Feel free to wear them this winter and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them to get lost.

Outdoor Research Cross Country Ski gloves are the best I've come across. Tight fit, water and windproof ... best glove I've ever had.

72524_189.jpg

Whoever asked you to remove them was on a power trip and dead wrong.

The rule specifically exempts gloves from being an illegal artificial device. In specifying that gloves are legal, it doesn't say that only certain types of gloves are allowable. It simply says gloves. That means all types of gloves are allowable, doesn't matter if they have grippies or not.

Feel free to wear them this winter and if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them to get lost.

I guess it wasn't a specfic request to remove my gloves, it was a competitor comment that grippy gloves are illegal when he saw the grip of my gloves. I had never read the rules at that point so i figured i should remove them.

now when i read the rules it says (gloves) are exempt if they are to control abrasion to the skin. if the gloves are to keep your hands warm, i don't believe they are exempt. Therefore if they are grippy then they may qualify as an artificial device that may directly assist in making a throw.

Latest posts