• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best College Disc Golf Scene

cquinn17 said:
I am interested in doing either chemical or biomedical engineering. I am also looking to go to a top 25 school and location really doesn't matter because coming from Minnesnowta, I can take the cold. All these suggestions are great though, thanks everyone. What about the Durham, NC area? How is the scene there?

The entire NC area is fantastic for golf, and any of the schools in the Triangle rock for engineering. I heard somewhere that the Durham area has the best competition, and Charlotte has the best courses.

Looks like Illinois is on that list, as well as Minnesota. Texas is also worth considering if you want to go to a big school. Disc golf in that state is exploding right now.

cquinn17 said:
I am interested in doing either chemical or biomedical engineering. I am also looking to go to a top 25 school and location really doesn't matter because coming from Minnesnowta, I can take the cold. All these suggestions are great though, thanks everyone. What about the Durham, NC area? How is the scene there?

The whole area is awesome around here. Durham has 3 good courses, one just got put in and is still shaping up but getting better.

UNC went from one great course to 3 great courses and the Raleigh/Cary area has 4 more courses.

During the summer we have doubles or leagues going on every day here and there are a ton of monthlies and other casual tournaments run around here.

Also Duke, UNC and State are considered some of the best schools around. State has an especially strong engineering program and Duke has an awesome biomedical program. My friend went to Duke for Biomedical and said it was a great but super challenging program.

Yeah Duke is one of the schools I have just started to look into and it looks like a really awesome. I also know how blessed we are here in MN with our disc golf, but I don't think I can see myself going to such a big school like the U of M. Thanks again for all who have made my decision a little easier!

UW-Stevens Point

Two great courses (Yulga & Standing Rocks), a little 9-holer, and another great courese (Eau Plaine) not too far away. Then, if you get bored, there's a good number of them close by in Wood County (North & South Park plus some around Marshfield). Great DG club as well.

pd

One other thing: Don't go heavily into debt just to get an undergrad education unless you're trying to make connections to help you in politics later in life. I spent the majority of of 1st year at Arkansas hating my parents for not cosigning the student loans I needed to go to some of the schools I got into (Rochester Institute of Technology and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in particular). I had a full ride to Arkansas (in state tuition thing), and my parents said go where they pay you to go. Easily the smartest thing that happened to me in retrospect. If you're looking at top 25 schools, then I assume you've done well enough in high school to be offered some sort of scholarship locally, and maybe even outside the state. I guess having a high pedigree undergrad can help get you into a good grad school if you have the opportunity to do research, but that's about it. You don't want to come out of school after 4 years with 80K worth of debt.

I know a lot of Ivy league schools only offer need based scholarships (I went to a Math and Science high school, so I had classmates that went to the east coast); Duke may be similar. I have friends that went to both UNC and NC State for engineering (granted, it was graduate computer engineering), but both said they enjoyed their college experiences there.

University of California at Davis is a great engineering school where my wife got a Ph.D in environmental engineering and there are 15 courses within 40 minutes of campus. Greater Sacramento has like 6 courses in of itself. It is a nice town, you can bike everywhere, warm all year round, and a ton of courses.

Kid don't pick a school based on DG......here's a secret: they put more DG courses near colleges......just go where you want and you can find good courses with a short drive.....and trust me you'll be so busy chasing girls, doing keg stands, and hot boxing VW's, that you'll barely have time to make it to class and study much less play some golf.....bottom line: pick a school for school

keltik said:
Kid don't pick a school based on DG......here's a secret: they put more DG courses near colleges......just go where you want and you can find good courses with a short drive.....and trust me you'll be so busy chasing girls, doing keg stands, and hot boxing VW's, that you'll barely have time to make it to class and study much less play some golf.....bottom line: pick a school for school

I know this man, I'm always gonna put my education before disc golf I just wanted to see what everyone had to say about colleges with good disc golf scenes so I could get a couple suggestions.

Bottom line is that I'm going to pick a school based on how it fits me, if it happens to have awesome courses near by, great, if not, whatever.. I can play in the summer when I come home.

This hurts a little bit (went to Michigan State), but the University of Michigan is in the top 10 for engineering and the disc golf scene in MI is awesome. Michigan State is in the top 60 :lol: if you want more of a party scene as well. The disc golf scene is great by both schools, and they aren't too far apart so you could visit courses in both areas.

I'd pick the RDU area w/ NCSU, Dook and UNC. Good schools, good courses, tons of tournies. You're also 3 hrs to the beach, three hours to the mountains.

As much as i hate UofM, I second the university of michigan.

First and foremost, it's a great school, espically for engineering. doesn't get much better than u of m.

2nd, disc golf aside, ann arbor is by far the best city in michigan, and one of the best cities in the USA. I lived there for years. I went to Eastern Michigan University which is is nearby, and I stayed in the area after I graduated. and if it was not for getting a job that was a half hour drive from the city, I would not have left.
Ann Arbor has tons to do, a great down town, low crime, and a laid back vibe to it.
Also, it's a selling point to many, so i should mention that marijuana is decriminalized in the city of ann arbor, you get a $25 fine for simple possession.

As far as disc, the ann arbor-ypsilanti(neighboring city) area is THE michigan hot spot for disc, and one of the bigger scenes in the country. I can name 10 or so courses within 45 minutes,and another 10-20 within another hour. There is also some world class courses less than half hour away. There are more that will be put in over the next few years as well.
Discraft is HQ'd less than 25 minutes away from ann arbor. There are TONS of tourneys, usually one every weekend, lots of serious players, and a VERY strong local club scene.

plus, you are a 3 hour drive from west michigan / ludington area which houses some of the best courses in the country, let alone the state.,and is home to Flip City, the best course in America in my opinion, it's aslo the highest rated course on DGcoursereview.com

you are also less that 4 hours from the northren part of the state, which also houses some amazing courses in mature forests with amazing views.

UofO, in Eugene, Oregon - great courses in Eugene and up and down the I-5 corridor. Did I mention Dave Feldberg teaches DG there and coaches the college team? That team can putt; oh, damn fine university too...

This is a great thread, especially since I'm going on the academic job market this year...

Got a job in formal logic? Got any disc golf courses?