• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Colorado Courses

rj29274

Double Eagle Member
Greetings DGCR -

I am planning a small 6-8 day dg trip through beautiful Colorado (end of July). I will be traveling from Flagstaff and starting my trip in Pagosa Springs.

What are the top courses in the greater Denver area that are must plays? I really like high elevation golf and am in good shape, physically. Ski resort courses are some of my favorites places to play and relax.

I will also be staying along the 285 for a few days, too.

What courses are worth the while?

The simple answer is go to Conifer.

Going to make a generalization here, Colorado basically has two styles, open park style and mountain courses. Majority of courses in the city are going to be park style, mostly open with some elevation and maybe some water. Not a lot of trees around to force lines. Some of these might even get a little close to other non-golfers enjoying the same park for different reasons.

Get to Conifer or at a minimum get to the foothills and or the mountains for the more scenic disc golf. Big elevation changes, trees and some defined fairways. Some beautiful courses near the mountains and well worth driving a bit farther.

What about Ski Lift resort courses?

Winter Park gets decent(and mixed) reviews but I haven't played so no personal opinion. I have found that 9/10 ski resort courses' ratings are inflated due to scenery and novelty of the lift ride. Generally the tees aren't great and maintenance on ski hill courses is usually lacking. If you're just looking for the experience go for it, I always enjoy them and I go in with the above thoughts in mind.

But if you're looking for awesome mountain golf that's actually well maintained Paulie's list is great.

My only notes on that would be you likely won't feel bad if you skip Ghost Town and might enjoy it if you add Wondervu(a bit out of the way up by boulder). While relatively new and a bit rough, it has the bones of an awesome course and will likely be improved from last summer when I played.

If you want Colorado ski lift courses you're going to have to go out of your way, there really are none off of Hwy 285. This isn't really a bad thing because you would see some beautiful country you would have missed. If your heart is set on that, the ones I can think of that would'nt be way, way out of your way might be Crested Butte, Winter Park and Vail. I think there is also something at A-Basin, too. A good mountain course that would be a small detour off Hwy 285 would be Hwy 24 to Colorado Mountain College in Leadville. No ski lift but that course is at 10,000 feet. I hear there is also a decent course in Pagosa Springs.

Did a trip out there last year and bucksnort was the funnest course I've ever played. So much variety and so beautiful!

Those Conifer area courses are gonna be tough to compete with in terms of quality and density. I've played Bailey and Beaver and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I need to get back out sometime for Phantom and Bucksnort.

Getting a little west out of Denver has some gems though in Lake Dillon and Frisco. The Lake Dillon course is a nice hike and there's one of the most beautiful "top of the world" shots you're gonna see. Where the Lake Dillon course plays well above the lake, the Frisco course plays down around the shore and has much less elevation. They make a great day of golf when combined.

Greetings DGCR -

I am planning a small 6-8 day dg trip through beautiful Colorado (end of July). I will be traveling from Flagstaff and starting my trip in Pagosa Springs.

What are the top courses in the greater Denver area that are must plays? I really like high elevation golf and am in good shape, physically. Ski resort courses are some of my favorites places to play and relax.

I will also be staying along the 285 for a few days, too.

What courses are worth the while?

Those Conifer area courses are gonna be tough to compete with in terms of quality and density. I've played Bailey and Beaver and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I need to get back out sometime for Phantom and Bucksnort.

Getting a little west out of Denver has some gems though in Lake Dillon and Frisco. The Lake Dillon course is a nice hike and there's one of the most beautiful "top of the world" shots you're gonna see. Where the Lake Dillon course plays well above the lake, the Frisco course plays down around the shore and has much less elevation. They make a great day of golf when combined.

I loved Lake Dillon DGC and Peak One in Frisco as well as Bucksnort and Phantom. On my visit I was hampered by trying to bag lots of courses in the higher altitudes. I love ski resort courses and I am also in great shape. But it was really tough to play more than 18 or 27 holes a day in the altitude and steep terrain. So when I return, I will be sure to hit up Bailey and Beaver which are both off the 285.

If you're going to be in the Denver area I'd leave the Denver area. Beaver Ranch/Bucksnort etc are all near Conifer. Wondervu is also a really cool course a little west of Boulder in the foothills - definitely worth your time. Lake Dillon is also fun when there isn't a ton of snow on the ground.

Ghost Town is fun, but I wouldn't call it a must play. I preferred Wondervu, personally.

Bucksnort/Phantom/Bailey/Beaver are must plays, though. You'll want to skip other stuff to play those.

Latest posts