• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Best Compliment for PD

I find that a plethora of pds can handle most shots i have at most times at least 4 PDs usually a P and 3 S's, and i bring an occasional C or other Ps dependingon the course or just to season them up a bit. They basically cover everything but stupid overstable/understable for me. For that i use firebirds and roadrunners, but that isnt even truly neccessary. For shorter shots I use an FD/banshee/roc and everything longer than the pd can handle, force/nuke depending on wind and line.

That being said, I carry FDs to compliment my PDs in terms of fairway shots.

2 FDs - 1 flat and negative HSS, 1 more domey with 0 HSS.
3 PDs - 1 broken in P for distance, 1 broken in S for workhorse, 1 CFR for overstable.

I will also carry:
new P PD for long flat shots with fade
new S PD for big flex shots
beat beat P PD for finesse and rollers
broken in D FD for finesse and rollers

right now, I've got a new S PD in the bag trying to break it in as I lost my 2 year old S PD in March.

I am just now starting to hit 320-340 consistently. I can throw a Stalker about 300...if that's any kind of comparison for you guys. The Surge SS was getting some pretty good distance for me, but I really want some with a tad bit more Turn, less fade, and perhaps a tick more speed. I know I'm being really specific, but if you know what you want, you know what you want.

sounds like a vulcan.

Alright, these suggestions are great, but they've kinda become one dimensional. I do want something for turnovers, but will the Astra or Valk cover a long turnovers with now fade shot without having to torque my body? I'm looking for something Speed 10 or faster that I can throw flat to slightly anyhzer, have them slowly turn and never come back...but if I put some decent hyzer, will pop flat, go for days, and then slightly fade at the end. Is this describing the Astra...or something else?

At this point, I'm thinking I might need to pair two discs with the PD instead of just one. I'm leaning toward a Sidewinder...so what I think I want to find now is Something faster and longer than both the Sidewinder and PD which is right between the two in stability...Any suggestions for this?

At this point you're describing PRACTICE. Executing those two shots with one disc isn't about the disc as much as it's about practicing and learning how to throw those shots.

We're nitpicking degrees of understability. Most every disc mentioned can throw accomplish both, the question is can the thrower execute both shots?

At this point you're describing PRACTICE. Executing those two shots with one disc isn't about the disc as much as it's about practicing and learning how to throw those shots.

We're nitpicking degrees of understability. Most every disc mentioned can throw accomplish both, the question is can the thrower execute both shots?

I see your point, but I'll admit that I'm looking for a temporary fix while I improve my form. I have been practicing like crazy and am finally starting to see my drive consistency improve. My anny shots are always the result of OAT. I'd really like to find a disc which meets the criteria while throwing level or slightly hyzer. Hopefully then I won't have OAT trying to force the anny.

I see your point, but I'll admit that I'm looking for a temporary fix while I improve my form. I have been practicing like crazy and am finally starting to see my drive consistency improve. :thmbup::thmbup: My anny shots are always the result of OAT. I'd really like to find a disc which meets the criteria while throwing level or slightly hyzer. Hopefully then I won't have OAT trying to force the anny.

Good, keep up the practice, and you'll keep seeing those results! I don't mean to discourage, but rather to encourage the long term results. I've been there trust me. For four months I threw only mid-ranges because I was so tired of my inconsistent release and constant wrist-roll, practicing 3-4x per week for an hour in a field and playing 3-4 days per week as well and it was the best thing I did for my game.

Just lock down a disc (Valkyrie!) and throw it over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Take it to a field and throw it over and over and over and over and over.

You'll soon enough learn to throw those turnovers and those beautiful hyzer flip turnovers and hyzer flip turnovers with a fade-to-flat. Just keep throwin!

I have a similar power level to you with a PD, maybe a tick longer, but right about there. I've made the jump up to Wraiths as my distance driver of choice and can usually throw them further than the PD. I use DX Wraiths of various freshness if I need something flippy and a seasoned star Wraith as my primary stable distance driver (I've also got a couple pro Wraiths in the bag that are brand new and still fairly overstable for me).
I use a seasoned PD as my controlled distance driver/hyzer-flip machine.
I use a C-PD for overstable duties.

One disc I've found recently to be a big help for right-turning stuff is, maybe surprisingly to some, the Mamba. I have a 166-gram one, and if I throw it with hyzer and about 85% power, it turns beautifully and holds the anny line perfectly. It's a really fun disc if you like throwing with hyzer and prefer to not use anny on distance shots (like me).

I had been using a beaten DX Valk for this slot until recently, but find the Mamba much, much more predictable. Haven't seen too many non-noodle arms singing the Mamba's praises yet, but, again, if you like to throw with hyzer, it can really nail turnover/right-turning stuff well. Plus, you don't have to worry about beating it in -- it does this shot great out of the box.

I have a similar power level to you with a PD, maybe a tick longer, but right about there. I've made the jump up to Wraiths as my distance driver of choice and can usually throw them further than the PD. I use DX Wraiths of various freshness if I need something flippy and a seasoned star Wraith as my primary stable distance driver (I've also got a couple pro Wraiths in the bag that are brand new and still fairly overstable for me).
I use a seasoned PD as my controlled distance driver/hyzer-flip machine.
I use a C-PD for overstable duties.

One disc I've found recently to be a big help for right-turning stuff is, maybe surprisingly to some, the Mamba. I have a 166-gram one, and if I throw it with hyzer and about 85% power, it turns beautifully and holds the anny line perfectly. It's a really fun disc if you like throwing with hyzer and prefer to not use anny on distance shots (like me).

I had been using a beaten DX Valk for this slot until recently, but find the Mamba much, much more predictable. Haven't seen too many non-noodle arms singing the Mamba's praises yet, but, again, if you like to throw with hyzer, it can really nail turnover/right-turning stuff well. Plus, you don't have to worry about beating it in -- it does this shot great out of the box.

No offense intended to all those who have shared their advice to this point, but thank you, this is perhaps the most helpful response so far!

No offense intended to all those who have shared their advice to this point, but thank you, this is perhaps the most helpful response so far!

Well if you ask a question looking for a particular answer then yes you'll be happy when you hear it.

Well if you ask a question looking for a particular answer then yes you'll be happy when you hear it.

Calm it down, big guy, no need to get snappy. I would say yours was the most accurate response. I DO need to practice more...that's the real truth of the matter. But I will admit I am trying to get a quick fix....not the wisest, but it's the truth. He gave me his experience and his next step up...b/c of similar power levels (it seems), this was extremely helpful. Most guys on here seem to throw further and so their suggestions usually don't work too well for me.

Calm it down, big guy, no need to get snappy. I would say yours was the most accurate response. I DO need to practice more...that's the real truth of the matter. But I will admit I am trying to get a quick fix....not the wisest, but it's the truth. He gave me his experience and his next step up...b/c of similar power levels (it seems), this was extremely helpful. Most guys on here seem to throw further and so their suggestions usually don't work too well for me.

Keep in mind, I doubt many people here are actually throwing further than 340 feet on golf lines consistently.