• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course in Texas

Dern, there are lots of great courses in TX... out of the ones I've gotten to play here are my favorite:

1. Circle C (revamped)... they did a GREAT job out there
2. East Metro (Manor)
3. Brushy Creek Sports Sports Park DGC (only a none holer... yet it is one of the toughest, most technical courses I've ever played)
4. ZBoaz
5. Veterans
6. Lester Lorch courses
7. Circle R courses

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.....

I'm sorry but Pease Park might not even be in the top 5 best Austin courses... much less the best in the state... IMHO it is a very over-rated and over populated park that needs a lot of work.... You could call it one of the most popular (or well known) courses, but IMO not the best.

Cameron Park looks amazing... can't wait to get to play out there some day

If I had to pick one... it's the revamped Circle C.

1. Circle C (revamped)... they did a GREAT job out there
2. East Metro (Manor)
3. Brushy Creek Sports Sports Park DGC (only a none holer... yet it is one of the toughest, most technical courses I've ever played)
4. ZBoaz
5. Veterans
6. Lester Lorch courses
7. Circle R courses

I agree with this list and IMO I'd add Cameron Park East (aka "the Beast") in just after East Metro.
But Circle C, East Metro, and the Beast would all be a very close competition.

dont be too quick to judge. the redo makes it as good as (if not better) than east metro...

and just to inform everyone, the best courses in texas by far were three courses on one property, but it was shut down a long time ago...
San Saba's "Strawbale", "Meadering Meadows", and "Colorado River"

but obviously this thread was about current courses... sorry

Are they also re-doing Circle R or did u think cc0049 was talking abt circle C?

man, I wish I could've played those courses in San Saba. I've heard they were epic....

Are they also re-doing Circle R or did u think cc0049 was talking abt circle C?

man, I wish I could've played those courses in San Saba. I've heard they were epic....

crud... yeah I thought he said Circle C... my bad... sorry cc0049, I completely agree with you on your statement (now only if I could read)

I agree with this list and IMO I'd add Cameron Park East (aka "the Beast") in just after East Metro.
But Circle C, East Metro, and the Beast would all be a very close competition.

I didn't actually have these in any particular order.. should have stated that or just ordered them originally. I haven't gotten to play Cameron yet, but it looks and sounds sweeeeet.

Have u gotten to play that 9 holer (Brushy Creek Sports Park) yet? It is quite the challenge... talk about needing to hit your lines and stay on the fairway... highly, highly recommended... I do nominate it as (by far) the best 9 hole course I could dream of....

veterans park hasnt even been mentioned yet?!?! im not sure if its THE BEST but cmon its gotta be in the tops right?

Thinking more about it - it wasn't that I didn't like Pease, it's a great course - but I think it's popularity overrates it a little. It's a great disc golf experience, but I think within the past few years there are a lot more Texas courses out that are starting to outshine it. However, if you're talking golden oldies, then Dallas people will probably want Veteran's Park somewhere on the list as well.

I made sure to give your Veterans Park a shout out in the classics section.

and if you ever are in east texas check out pecan park and pioneer park two hidden gems that a lot of people dont know about. both are great courses though, not the "best" in texas but certainly some of the best in EAST texas, and theyre only like 5 miles apart

I've played Pecan Park. Good length, but I don't know if I could place it among the elite Texas courses. It's certainly a must if you are in the Nac-a-No-Where area though.

Harry Myers is a great course, but I like Pease better. There are too many filler holes at Harry Myers. If Pease had concrete tees, then this isn't even a conversation.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think Harry Myers is way more diverse that Pease Park. Holes like 5 (even with the cool pin spot), 10, and 17 at Pease felt just as "filler" like as holes like 11, 12, & 13 at Harry Myers.

I didn't actually have these in any particular order.. should have stated that or just ordered them originally. I haven't gotten to play Cameron yet, but it looks and sounds sweeeeet.

Have u gotten to play that 9 holer (Brushy Creek Sports Park) yet? It is quite the challenge... talk about needing to hit your lines and stay on the fairway... highly, highly recommended... I do nominate it as (by far) the best 9 hole course I could dream of....

I notice a lot of Austin love going on in this thread, but what about the rest of the state? :D

Also, can a 9-hole course really be up for best course in Texas when there are so many amazing 18-hole courses out there? Actual question here - not just trying to be a smart@@@.

I notice a lot of Austin love going on in this thread, but what about the rest of the state? :D

Also, can a 9-hole course really be up for best course in Texas when there are so many amazing 18-hole courses out there? Actual question here - not just trying to be a smart@@@.

I know, I'd like to hear about some of the other top courses... I'm not sure if any listed prior are in Houston or not, but I'd be shocked if there weren't a handful there that could be in this discussion.

I agree that having a nine hole course in this discussion is a liittle out of place... maybe should be reserved for the "best 9 hole course" thread.
but, dern, it still is one of the most fun & challenging (ultra precision required) courses I've ever played :)

I think what holds Houston courses back are there lack of elevation. Even Oak Meadows which I consider the finest course in Houston, has very little in way of elevation. There is just something magical about throwing up or down a hill through trees that just isn't seen in our courses. Plus from a simple geographic perspective, Houston is flat swamp land, while Austin is hill country, and Dallas seems to have a little or both flat and hilly. Thus it would make sense that it has the most variety.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think Harry Myers is way more diverse that Pease Park. Holes like 5 (even with the cool pin spot), 10, and 17 at Pease felt just as "filler" like as holes like 11, 12, & 13 at Harry Myers.

I'd call holes 8, 14, 15, and 17 the filler holes at Harry Myers. Really, even those aren't too boring, but not as good as the rest of the course IMO. I like 11 there and 12 and 13 at least are uphill shots, 12 with the lined fairway and ob on the left and 13 cuts through trees to the pin also with ob around the basket.
At Pease, I did think about hole 5 not really being a great hole there, and I can't remember what 10 and 17 look like.
Either way, both are great courses I think.

I don't think Veterans even falls in the top 10.

The new Fort Worth's Gateway course is so tough and new, it may not fall in the top ten yet, but with that great layout, it may get there someday. Although, again, there is no elevation there either.

I really like Waco's Cameron East 'Beast" and Harry Meyers. Z-Boaz of course, rocks. But I have not been out of the Dallas/Fort Worth and Waco areas much, so take those opinions with that in mind.

Of the courses that I've played in Texas, here's my rank:
1. Lester Lorch (Coyote moreso than Beaver)
2. Cameron Park East
3. Pease
4. ZBoaz
5. Veterans
6. Harry Myers
7. Towne Lake
8. Lake Lewisville
9. Gateway
10. Circle R

I'm sure that revamped Circle C and East Metro deserve to be inserted somewhere into this list too, but I have not had the chance to play either yet.
Man, Texas has got a lot of great courses! I just wish we could scoot Austin further north. :)

Please don't scoot Austin further north...how about further east? Houston is lacking in great courses. We have some nice courses, and tons of solid courses, but very few great. If you wanted to bring Houston into the discussion, the starting point is definitely Oak Meadows, which is about as pleasurable of a disc golf experience as I can have. If you consider Jack Brooks as a package, with both courses together, then it is a superb destination for DG. Shawshank is probably my personal favorite in this area.

I don't see much private course love going on. I love playing at Snow Farm, Moody's, Circle R, and Shawshank! Are they just getting less love because they are less accessible?

I think what holds Houston courses back are there lack of elevation. Even Oak Meadows which I consider the finest course in Houston, has very little in way of elevation. There is just something magical about throwing up or down a hill through trees that just isn't seen in our courses. Plus from a simple geographic perspective, Houston is flat swamp land, while Austin is hill country, and Dallas seems to have a little or both flat and hilly. Thus it would make sense that it has the most variety.

Wait till you play the new 18 at Jack Brooks. There are a few hills through the woods there. Also, the tees for 15 and 18 shoot off a pretty good sized hill.

I havn't played many out of the Houston area, but here are my favorites:

Bryan McClain Park in San Antonio

Jack Brooks Park Courses #1 and #2 in Hitchcock (45 miles south of Houston)For those of you who have not played the new course at Jack Brooks, this is one of the most challening courses I have ever played.

Mc Dade Park in Conroe

River Grove Park in Kingwood (currently closed due to sink hole in road going to park)

Minimar Park in Sea Brook (very challenging little 9-hole course)

Spring Valley in Spring. (has up to 27 holes, and has a pro shop. $3 to play)

All you guys talking about Oak Meadows, you need to let people know that course is off limits inless you live in the neighborhood, and the cops will run you out of there.

Bill Allen????? really....lol no no no no, throwing your putter the WHOLE round does not qualify as BEST in texas

Jimmy Porter was pretty awesome

Bear Creek- my personal favorite, but im sure others would say theyve played better

im not saying your wrong on these, im just stating my personal opinion and if these are what you believe then more power to you....everybody looks for somethin different in a course:D
I am a big fan of Bill Allen. I like the variety of terrain and the setting. I do not throw all that far so the short distances do not bother me. It is a pretty easy course and I am sure not enough of a challenge for some but I like it. I will say again I haven't played all the courses in the FW area. I plan to play Gateway, Arcadia and North Park this summer.

I know, I'd like to hear about some of the other top courses... I'm not sure if any listed prior are in Houston or not, but I'd be shocked if there weren't a handful there that could be in this discussion.

As far as Houston/Conroe courses - these are the ones in the mix:

Oak Meadows Park
McDade Park - in Conroe
Tom Bass - Wilmont
Jack Brooks: Course #1 & Course #2
The LINKS
Spring Valley DGC

Here's is the deal - and note I have played them all, or in Jack Brooks course #2 case at least walked the course area. The main problem as SpringDG said is the lack of elevation, and lack of a polished course due to the conflicts with the parks departments. Playing on a crappy rutted tee box a is lot different from a big concrete slab and does affects course quality.

IMO - I rank the courses as follows:
#1 - Oak Meadows: It's simply the most "complete" course in the area.
#2 - Spring Valley: Technical, some elevation, tough, and diverse. Having 28 holes helps too.
#3 - Tom Bass: Wilmont Course - There is a reason States are held at this course.
#4 (TIE) - The LINKS - not a personal favorite, but very challenging and long.
#4 (TIE) - Jack Brooks - Course #1: Slight elevation at pins, diverse holes, and good design.
#5 - McDade - Concrete tees and a newly redone look. It may be higher, but I have yet to play the new design.
#6 - Jack Brooks - Course #2: The course will move up over time once 100% completed. It's a long monster that looks very challenging. If the tee boxes get some concrete and some good signs are put in - then it could jump up to #2 or #3. (It's hard to rank an unmarked course:) )

And after all of that - I still think Oak Meadows (even if it's private) is the only real course that could compete in a discussion with many of the top Dallas and Austin courses.

I am a big fan of Bill Allen. I like the variety of terrain and the setting. I do not throw all that far so the short distances do not bother me. It is a pretty easy course and I am sure not enough of a challenge for some but I like it. I will say again I haven't played all the courses in the FW area. I plan to play Gateway, Arcadia and North Park this summer.

its cool man, nah bill allen is a nice 9 hole course, but just like others had said earlier, im not sure if a nine hole belongs in the tops...
but then again, bill allen is soon to be 18!!! i cant wait to see what they do to the course:D

Donovan are you serious?!?!?!?!?! your killin me man, veterans has to be in the top ten. its got EVERYTHING, elevation, long, short, tight, and open holes...whats wrong with that? :) not saying your wrong, im open to others opinions, i just wanna know WHY you dont think its in the top ten, i guess im just missing somethin

btw when are you playing again?