• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best course names?

Angry Beaver is the best by far but Sugaree in the NC mountains is also fantastic. I played the Flying Dragon in Decatur, AL which I was told is named for the bushes throughout the property and Cougar Country in Boiling Springs Lakes, NC are are also interesting names. I played the entire course but never ran into Demi Moore or Stifler's mom. Surprised no one has named a course Scarlet>Fire or Estimated Prophet.

Last edited:
Since we are throwing out nick names, our course has a decent one. Castle Hayne is affectionately called Castle Payne...because it can cause mental and physical pain anytime you play it.

Desert Fox DGC, at Paul B. Johnson SP near Hattiesburg, MS. Named for the group of German POWs who built the lake spillway there. They, of course, were from Rommel's famed North Africa tank corps.

Keith - Any chance it will be opening soon? Can't wait to get out there and play!

If all goes well Secretariat will be played in an Event in SEPT of this year!

Dave's meeting with the city again next week I think - and so far (Fingers, toes, and every other body part crossed) everything has been well received up to this point.

Brian Graham from the PDGA met with the powers that be 2 weeks ago and said to them basically "if you build it - we will come" - so that was extremely helpful...

Keith

Michael Mantz won a silver medal in the 1996 Olympics there. Most recently he has become known for training Union Rags the winner of the 2012 Belmont, who is a descendant of Secretariat. Take the (is)'s out and you got my name.

Great unknown info - but not the reason...Try again if you want.

uniqueness

The OP started his thread with "What makes a good name for a course?" Some of it is the uniqueness to avoid possible confusion. Two cases in point in the Charlotte region, where the park's (organization's) name led to confusion.

First, was a new Charlotte course at Idlewild Park (est. 2011)--this got all sorts of vehement responses from Kentuckian's who already had an Idlewild Park (some of you may have heard of that one); to avoid strife, the Charlotte folks settled on the name "The Scrapyard" that reflected that the finances for the course were raised by the club collecting and selling scrap metal.

Second, was another new Charlotte course at Winget Park (est. 2012)--here the confusion was with a 9-hole course at Wingate University (about 30 miles away); even the PDGA was confused when we were finalizing the 2012 World courses--they were asking why we were proposing a 9-hole course that far out of Charlotte. This gave way to another theme name, Plantation Ruins at Winget, which was previously cited in this thread as traversing an old plantation with several remnants.

I'm in the camp of giving courses a non-Park name (I was not in on the negotiations for naming the R.L. Smith course (est. 2011) in Charlotte. However, the park's name usually takes priority.

Charlotte DGC made an effort in using non-park names for the 2 courses at Elon Park. Honoring disc golf hall-of-famer Alan Beaver (who also was very high in the county's park authority), the courses became the Eager Beaver (beginner friendly) and the Angry Beaver (challenging). The recent tweaking of the Angry Beaver course has suggested a name change to the PMS Beaver.

I've always liked:

Carly's Playground

Because I thought it was really heartwarming for the park to be renamed after Carly with the tragedy that occurred.

I like Rollin Ridge, Holler in the Hills, Sky High, Crystal City Underground, Old Post. Never played any of 'em.

I'm extremely partial to World Famous Broken Acres Disc Golf Course, which has one hole in and another on the way.

I can't believe I'm going to be the one who seconds shawshank as a great name. Not only is the name of the course great, but each individual hole is named wonderfully. It even has a jail hole drop zone. Not to mention it's in the middle of nowhere. With excellent barbeque (totally unrelated but necessary to be mentioned none the less)

Good point on having names for the holes. Flyboy did well there, as did Bowers Park in Tuscaloosa.

One of the benefits to having good hole names that players get to know is when courses have to be redesigned or temp holes are added and numbers change - they can retain their names but with new numbers.

I like well named holes, gives 'em (and the course) some character. Cass Benton Hills has good names for the holes, but no one knows them 'cause Cass holes destroyed the tee signs. :mad:
5d204dd8.gif

I like well named holes, gives 'em (and the course) some character. Cass Benton Hills has good names for the holes, but no one knows them 'cause Cass holes destroyed the tee signs. :mad:
5d204dd8.gif

That restroom hole is probably pretty crappy.

I've said it before but 'Hidden Lake' to me is a great name for a course. Not only is the lake actually -gasp - hidden but you really feel like you've left civilization into some hidden grove of trees when you start from hole 1. Hard to explain if you haven't played it.

I'll admit that Charlotte probably takes the 'best names in one area' award. I want to play so many of the courses just from the name alone. VERY good marketing guys!

I feel like hole names are crucial to really having a course seared into your brain.

So much easier to talk with friends about a course when you can refer to the funny/unique names that some of the holes end up with rather than talking about numbers. Numbers are easy to forget, names stick.

Redneck DGC... figure it out yourselves. :p

Orange Crush... can definitely crush you!

Whippin' Post... can definitely whip you!

Latest posts