• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Course Near Bloomington IN

dickyp1113

Par Member
Im looking for a day trip the next time my girl and I have off together. We live in Bloomington IN. As much as I wanna make the 2 hr or so trip to Idlewild, I wanna save that for a day day trip. Were looking for something no longer than an hr and a half away. Most of the courses in that range are all rated pretty similarily so what do you guys think?! Thanks in advance for all responses!

I've visited that area quite a bit. Blue Heron is probably the best one that's close as you say. There are some courses on the north side of Indy that might be better, depending on personal preference, but I think that's out of your travel range?

Can you make it down to Patoka Lake in that timeframe? That's a fun course and a pretty drive through southern indiana.

I second the Blue Heron suggestion from jenb, it's a good course that requires a decent variety of shots. Also if you can make it to Indy and don't mind the sketchy neighborhood (I've never had any trouble) then definitely check out Washington Park and Brookside. Both of those are good and within 2 miles of each other so you could play them both.

If you can go as far north as indy, then I'd look at Patoka and Dubois to the south. I haven't played those, but they look like a good day trip to me.

Can you make it down to Patoka Lake in that timeframe? That's a fun course and a pretty drive through southern indiana.

This, I live very close to Patoka Lake, if you play it there's a good chance you'd have the course all to yourself. Plenty of opportunities to hike, camp, and/or have a picnic around the area. There is another course that is a half an hour away (Dubois County Park), it's brand new so they are still working on pads, and had to pull the first four baskets for the county fair, but it should be back to normal this time next week. Pads should be in before the C tier on August 12.

I second the Blue Heron suggestion from jenb, it's a good course that requires a decent variety of shots. Also if you can make it to Indy and don't mind the sketchy neighborhood (I've never had any trouble) then definitely check out Washington Park and Brookside. Both of those are good and within 2 miles of each other so you could play them both.

When I lived in Bloomington I played Brookside and Washington several times, never had an issue with the neighborhood in the daytime.

Can you make it to Louisville in 1 1/2 hours? If so, then there are some very good courses around there, such as Charlie Vettiner Park and Seviren Lang DGC.

Seviren Lang , Fun Farm , and Buffalo Trace are fun courses. Do not know if they're within your 1.5 hr circle but should be close enough. Buffalo Trace requires a $5 payt to enter the park.

Several to play...

Patoka Lake is a good option, Severin Lange will deliver the goods and is often NOT crowded! Charlie Vetner is a grreat course too. If you can drive a little more, Holler in the Hills will blow your mind! Just my 2 cents. :hfive:

I'm going with Skotty and Mashnut.

Patoka Lake is in my top 5 favorite courses. It gives you a little bit of everything and every time I play it, I love something new about it.

Deming is a fun course in Terre Haute as well. It's probably a little bit closer, but not nearly as great as Patoka.

Latest posts