• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses of 2009

Camden 2 might not be tops quite yet but only because it is new. But I believe designer, Chris Sprague, will attempt to get it to number one within a year if the course amenities can be added/enhanced. I was honored to be an advisor on that course when passing thru town as an advance person for the PDGA to check out the course prep for the Women Nationals there.

I'd like to suggest that the title of this list be changed from "Best Courses" to "Favorite Courses".

Has every course in the world even received a DGCR Rating?
If not, how many courses are there with 0 reviews? (It looks like somewhere around 250.) Without a review how do we know that the Flying Bee Country Club in KS isn't the best course ever?

Cause the distance is only 5000. Although I suppose the holes could all be mando shaped like a rose petal that you must pollinate with your awesomesauce score. In which case, it would probably be the schizel....

I've played it a few times but have resisted reviewing it because I felt it needed more time to wear in a bit and because I disagree with the current reviews strongly. I am sure it will be one of those courses that has some vocal proponents. My favorite new course of 2009 was Mont Du Lac but its layout changed quite a bit the last time I played it so I don't consider it done. Great course so far though.

Chuck have you been to Hidden Lake outside the twin cities, it had 2 reviews of 5 and 4.5 but now someone recently gave it a 3.5 rating. Those courses will likely have a high rating to start but when a bigger group of people start going it is more likely to come down slowly over time. Just curious if you think that one will sustain its inital high rating.

I'd like to suggest that the title of this list be changed from "Best Courses" to "Favorite Courses".

Has every course in the world even received a DGCR Rating?
If not, how many courses are there with 0 reviews? (It looks like somewhere around 250.) Without a review how do we know that the Flying Bee Country Club in KS isn't the best course ever?

I stick with best because many of our favorite courses are 3.5 star courses.
Baker Farm is the top rated Rochester course, but not in my top 3 in Rochester.

I can certainly vouch for The Woodshed's #4 position. It's unfortunate that there are so few reviews compared to its companions on the list. It is, after all, one of those courses that isn't on the way to anywhere.

Oh....and I am very excited to hear about all the new, great stuff near the Twin Cities....amazement in that area; every time I go. sweeeet!!!

Agreed, especially considering that is my second home where I usually spend 2-3 weekends a year up there visiting old college friends, and now playing disc golf.

I would have to say "the road" is my second home with Twin Cities being my third.

After this trip to Florida (this is going to be an epic trip after all is said and done (I have to say how much I love my wife for going along with me, but she absolutely loves her new SLR digital camera and can take pictues all day while I play the courses) I am having,

I've played it a few times but have resisted reviewing it because I felt it needed more time to wear in a bit and because I disagree with the current reviews strongly. I am sure it will be one of those courses that has some vocal proponents. My favorite new course of 2009 was Mont Du Lac but its layout changed quite a bit the last time I played it so I don't consider it done. Great course so far though.

I am feeling the same thing about WIldapple in Osseo. It is a fun challenging course, but I think there might need to be some more maintenance and the course is always changing (albeit slowly (quoted directly from the designer/owner). I want to review the course now, and give it an honest score, but I dont want my review to keep someone from going, I just think with a little maintenance and some break in time. I havent made a decision on that one quite yet.

The most obvious Bubbling Under courses would be those with high scores but under 10 reviews. Here are all the courses with reviews > 5 and rating > 4.50:

Horning's Hideout, North Plains, OR - 7 reviews 4.79
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3578

Giant's Ridge, Biwabik, MN - 6 reviews 4.75
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1308

Whippin' Post, Paw Paw, WV - 8 reviews 4.63
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1910

Toboggan, Milford, MI - 9 reviews 4.61
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2601

Pickard, Indianola, IA - 8 reviews 4.56
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=67

The most obvious Bubbling Under courses would be those with high scores but under 10 reviews. Here are all the courses with reviews > 5 and rating > 4.50:

Horning's Hideout, North Plains, OR - 7 reviews 4.79
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3578

This is the Meadow Ridge Course you got here.

This was a fun course to put in we got all the baskets in the ground on Sept. 25th and the grand opening was Nov. 29th. this is the 3rd course out there at the Horning's. It has been a lot of fun to help them get this all in the ground. This being the most advanced course out there.

Hippy007

Funny how opinions differ. I was talking to a friend of mine about this list. He has played a lot of courses, including a bunch on the list. (He probably views things more from a "best" perspective, not from a "favorite" perspective.) Here is what he had to say about some of the courses on the list:

"Blueberry Hill sucks and Blue Ribbon Pines is the most overrated course since
Blueberry Hill. Kaposia is better than BRP, but it doesn't have as much
landscaping around the tee boxes."

Based on the quality of those remarks with no reasons given, the experience of that reviewer is suspect. Perhaps you heard why he had those opinions? I could cite why some of those courses should not be top 10s but at least have reasons.

Northern Ky Rocks

Home Courses: Idlewild#2, and Lincoln Ridge aka Bancklick #22. Right across the river Mt airy not in top 50 but must be very close.

Based on the quality of those remarks with no reasons given, the experience of that reviewer is suspect. Perhaps you heard why he had those opinions? I could cite why some of those courses should not be top 10s but at least have reasons.

It was a short conversation -- I didn't get any details. But I trust this person's opinion. His "experience" certainly isn't suspect.

I know he understands the difference between a good course and a popular course. I don't think he's denying they (BH and BRP) are popular and a lot of people love them.

If the player is gold level, Blueberry Hill will be frustrating because it's specifically designed for blue level players. If he played it at Worlds, I could understand why it might not be his favorite but certainly not sucking.

Doesn't really matter since, as you pointed out, we're only talking about opinions, not applying more objective standards, to the extent that can be done.

WOW, the east half of the US has the most best courses. That makes two reasons to leave Calif. Taxes way too high and not enough quality disc golfin.

Your just not looking in the right places.

HumChris played the Pescadero temp course with me and I'm sure that he will back me, its the most impressive disc golf experience right now. 27 holes set in a wild area logged over 100 years ago. The first hole is longer and meaner than top of the world at De La. The difficulty and beauty of this course is unrivaled as far as I have ever seen.

Latest posts