• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Courses off of I-81 or I-77 b/w Harrisburg & Charlotte

charris414

Eagle Member
As I am planning on driving down to Am Worlds from Connecticut via my parents in NJ (north of Trenton), my initial driving directions show the best route to be I-76 to I-81 to I-77. It's a 10 hour drive from my parents to Charlotte, and I'd love to break up that monotony by hitting up a couple courses on the way down and the way back.

What are the best courses that are within 15 minutes of these highways? My initial look at the dgcr course location map shows that there are a lot of options.

Thanks,
Craig

Westover Park in Harrisonburg, VA is a good option based on accessibility. It's minutes from I-81 and easy to get a quick round in. It's not a spectacular course, but would make for a nice break on the drive.

I played Westover Park this weekend. Brad hit the nail on the head about the course.

Also in PA. Whispering Falls is right off 81. The 2 courses at Pinchot State Park arent too far off 81 and Codorus has 2 courses that are "out of the way" but its not far off the beaten path if you are taken route 15.

Whispering Falls
Sherando
Poor House
I thought all were worth a stop and close to the highway
Signal View has it's fans and its decent for a niner but it didnt blow me away like I had expected based on how often people praise it on this site
Kiwanis gets mixed reviews...mine included

I'd through out either Highland Hills or Yadkin County Park. Both an hour north of Charlotte, exit 73 of I-77. These two courses will give you a little taste of what to expect in Charlotte (with a little more elevation thrown into the mix).

If you don't mind a little more drive off the interstate, Walnut Creek in Charlottesville or High Country (Ashe County Park) in Jefferson. Are both great courses.

If you drive down US 29 instead of 81, you'll hit a bunch of good courses in VA & NC.

I've made this drive a bunch of times, and played many of these courses along the way.
Typically I'll just figure out a few good options, and then play when I'm ready for a break.
From north to south, there's a cluster in far northern VA (near Winchester and the I-66 corridor)
Jim Barnett, Sherando, and Signal View are all good options. You'd enjoy any of these courses, though a short-stop caters to the 9 holes at beautiful Signal View.
Harrisonburg's course didn't blow me away but I like their downtown square for a food/beer break.
Staunton's course is nice - more open holes than you'll be playing in Charlotte.
Then you have a long stretch before your next set of good courses.
Golden Hills in Blacksburg is closer than you'd think to I-81 (highways from 81 to the course). And downtown Blacksburg is another good place for food and beer.
Randolph Park in Dublin, VA is probably the best course along I-81 in VA. The front 9 is thickly wooded (like the CLT courses) and the back 9 opens up for long drives and breezy putts. Very pretty. Very close to the highway.
No more great courses along the highway until you hit Stumpy Creek in Mooresville (northern suburb of CLT, not being played in the worlds but just as challenging as any of those courses - minus the crowds).

If you had to pick just one I'd recommend Randolph Park because of its proximity to the highway, its tight/open layout gives you all the CLT warmup you could want, and because it's beautiful.

Thanks all ... lots of great suggestions here ... My first thoughts were to leave my parents around 4-4:30am, which would put me in Charlotte around 2-3pm, leaving plenty of time for practice on that Saturday. However, as I'm pretty sure I'll be doing the drive myself, I think it's probably better to break up the drive into a couple 3-4 hour blocks, and try to hit up some courses ... these locations seem to fit into that plan pretty well.

Next question is then ... since I'm playing the Advanced courses, which courses in Charlotte are must plays that will not be part of my tournament experience? Renny, Sugaw, Nevin, etc? Or even make the drive to Winthrop?

You should play Tyler and some of the other courses around your parent's house too before you leave for your trip:)

Whispering Falls
Sherando
Poor House
I thought all were worth a stop and close to the highway
Signal View has it's fans and its decent for a niner but it didnt blow me away like I had expected based on how often people praise it on this site
Kiwanis gets mixed reviews...mine included

I did this same trip and I dug Poor House (10 min off the highway) and Sherando (5 min off the highway). I'd also recommend Golden Hills in Blacksburg (10 min off the highway). Very hilly, lots of tees, but plenty of clean, open fairways.

The course in dublin (randolf) is better than either Blacksburg (golden hills) or harrisonburg.

The other two play fast, but randolf is the best of the three courses.

I have not played rotary park in staunton but have heard good things.

Good luck in charlotte

best courses that are within 15 minutes of these highways

I travel I81 a lot, and have played most every course, many multiple times, between Harrisburg and the I77 junction.

In Pennsylvania, my top two are:
  • Whispering Falls
  • Coyote Hills
In the northern part of Virginia, my top two are:
  • Signal View
  • Jim Barnett
In the southern part of Virginia, my top two are:
  • Randolph
  • Golden Hills

Of the six, Whispering Falls is my top. Signal View is my highest-rated niner, as three tee locations per hole provide you with options.

Read the reviews, and see which courses best fits your preferences

I haven't traveled that section of I77, so can't comment about the courses along it.

As I am planning on driving down to Am Worlds from Connecticut via my parents in NJ (north of Trenton), my initial driving directions show the best route to be I-76 to I-81 to I-77. It's a 10 hour drive from my parents to Charlotte, and I'd love to break up that monotony by hitting up a couple courses on the way down and the way back.

What are the best courses that are within 15 minutes of these highways? My initial look at the dgcr course location map shows that there are a lot of options.

Thanks,
Craig

Latest posts